Coronavirus and the Washington Capitals Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Good stuff Dave, thanks.

kinda puts an interesting light on some of the earlier discussion around should we vaccinate right away or not...

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Good stuff Dave, thanks.

kinda puts an interesting light on some of the earlier discussion around should we vaccinate right away or not...

I think it puts to bed the "which one is more effective" choice fairly well. But when we saw the Astra Zeneca get pulled in some EU countries, it's certainly fair to want to keep an eye on those findings to how how they pan out.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think it puts to bed the "which one is more effective" choice fairly well. But when we saw the Astra Zeneca get pulled in some EU countries, it's certainly fair to want to keep an eye on those findings to how how they pan out.

right....and don’t necessarily make a choice to wait based on efficacy...

Reactions: Calicaps

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I got lucky yesterday and was able to get my first Pfizer shot despite not being in any of the eligible groups. I had been calling pharmacies asking if they were likely to have any extra doses that they were going to throw away at the end of the day. A CVS in the area said they would probably have extra doses available so I showed up and was able to get one near closing time.

For those who don't yet qualify for a vaccine I would suggest doing the same thing I did and asking local pharmacies if they might have extra doses near the end of the day, because if you don't get that dose then no one will.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I got lucky yesterday and was able to get my first Pfizer shot despite not being in any of the eligible groups. I had been calling pharmacies asking if they were likely to have any extra doses that they were going to throw away at the end of the day. A CVS in the area said they would probably have extra doses available so I showed up and was able to get one near closing time.

For those who don't yet qualify for a vaccine I would suggest doing the same thing I did and asking local pharmacies if they might have extra doses near the end of the day, because if you don't get that dose then no one will.
At my first vaccination site, a walk-in asked one of the administrators if he could get a shot. I'm paraphrasing, but the administrator told him that while they were only vaccinating by appointment now, come back at 4 (an hour before the site closed), and he'd likely be able to get a dose due to a no-show.

Another friend at a different site (this one in Maryland) was told by his nurse that there were 40 no-shows the previous day.

If you're proactive, you can get a shot in the DC area, regardless of your eligibility.

Reactions: twabby

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
At my first vaccination site, a walk-in asked one of the administrators if he could get a shot. I'm paraphrasing, but the administrator told him that while they were only vaccinating by appointment now, come back at 4 (an hour before the site closed), and he'd likely be able to get a dose due to a no-show.

Another friend at a different site (this one in Maryland) was told by his nurse that there were 40 no-shows the previous day.

If you're proactive, you can get a shot in the DC area, regardless of your eligibility.

So if you get a first shot by taking a no show, do you automatically then get in the que for your second shot? Have to assume the one you replaced isn't getting that 2nd dose that day in two weeks, right.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
So if you get a first shot by taking a no show, do you automatically then get in the que for your second shot? Have to assume the one you replaced isn't getting that 2nd dose that day in two weeks, right.

You get scheduled for the 2nd one. I've had friends/family/coworkers do this.

I don't have the flexibility of schedule to hang out for hours at pharmacies.

My county is way behind. Sucks.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Correct. Most places will sign you up for your second shot appointment while you're getting your first. A dose is reserved for you st that point.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Just got stuck. Got here about 10 minutes early and the whole process will be an hour from arriving early to going through check-in to getting the shot and now taking 15 minutes to make sure there are no adverse reactions. Big time relief! Hope all of you out there that want a shot can get one soon.

Reactions: g00n

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Just got stuck. Got here about 10 minutes early and the whole process will be an hour from arriving early to going through check-in to getting the shot and now taking 15 minutes to make sure there are no adverse reactions. Big time relief! Hope all of you out there that want a shot can get one soon.
Congrats, my friend! Stay safe. The end is *hopefully* near. I’m in my mid-twenties and my parents and older relatives have been vaccinated, but, I’m still playing it safe until I get the vaccine. Hoping I’ll be able to schedule an appointment in the next month.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Cali just announced people 50 and over can get their shots starting in April. Me and the wife will be signing up as soon as we can.

My 5 year old keeps asking when is the pandemic going to be over because he says "I really miss going to the library". Me too, son, me too.

Reactions: Calicaps and g00n

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Phase 2B starts in MD next week. I'm reading vax-hunter threads where people are talking openly about lying during registration to get their vax appointments scheduled early.

I find this very disappointing and frustrating. As we open up more classes for vaccination without significantly increasing supply we're passing over the people who have been waiting and sacrificing.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Phase 2B starts in MD next week. I'm reading vax-hunter threads where people are talking openly about lying during registration to get their vax appointments scheduled early.

I find this very disappointing and frustrating. As we open up more classes for vaccination without significantly increasing supply we're passing over the people who have been waiting and sacrificing.
So shitty, maybe most of all because it's totally unsurprising.

Reactions: g00n

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Cali just announced people 50 and over can get their shots starting in April. Me and the wife will be signing up as soon as we can.

My 5 year old keeps asking when is the pandemic going to be over because he says "I really miss going to the library". Me too, son, me too.
Contra Costa County expanded to 50+ earlier this month. Hubby at his appointment as we speak. I'm 14 months too young... Grrrr...

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
CDC study has 3/2479 or 0.12% 2 dose recipients contracted COVID treating COVID patients, or 0.75% the rate of those who received no doses (2.9% the rate purely by their exposure hour metric)
Interim Estimates of Vaccine Effectiveness of BNT162b2 and mRNA
102 people from Washington State test positive for COVID out of 1,275,265 fully vaccinated, even if that represents 1/4 the cases (multiplier most frequently used for positive cases) that’s still just .032%
https://www.doh.wa.gov/Newsroom/Art...ne-breakthrough-confirmed-in-Washington-state
https://www.doh.wa.gov/Emergencies/COVID19/DataDashboard#tables

Last edited:
Reactions: AussieCapsFan

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
24hrs later and Moderna dose 1 was not too bad. A little swimmy a few times yesterday but hard to tell if that was from the vax or the horrible Caps game. No fever or other symptoms, slept well.

I read the FDA sheet on it and something like 90% of trial participants had arm pain at injection site and that's no lie. But it's more like a sore muscle than anything else so completely tolerable.

Moderna is supposedly 80% effective after 12 days and ~95% effective after 2nd dose, which is 4 weeks away. That one will be fun.

Side note: A friend of mine was vaccinated on the 23rd and just tested positive for COVID, but he has no symptoms. We think his wife got it from a relative a day or two before he got the vaccine but she wasn't spreading to him until after he got his shot, and it protected him enough that he's basically asymptomatic. They're in quarantine now and fingers are crossed.

But this highlights a lot of what I've been seeing and probably what's contributing to upticks in cases and positivity% despite increased vaccination. People are letting their guard down too soon, particularly when it comes to relatives. The combination of warmer weather and the knowledge that vaccines are being given makes it FEEL like we should be out and about and relaxing but THAT'S NOT TRUE. Not yet.

I've also read about polls that say half of a certain political party don't plan on getting the shot which threatens to drag this out. I hope they change their minds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad