Coronavirus and General O/T Thread #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I've been up and down telegraph road a few times in Wayne, and I'm surprised at the number of places where there are workers who don't even pretend to be wearing a mask.
In Washtenaw, sometimes I roll up on someone or walk in and they quickly lift their mask.
In some of these Wayne County areas, they just don't even pretend. I honestly don't care. It was just weird to see. The chances of getting COVID while walking in and out of Dunkin donuts is pretty slim.

Re Washtenaw...
My old zipcode (48104) in Ann Arbor has been hit hard. Ypsi has been hit hard.
But the other zips are mostly OK, at my last look.
Saline - everyone wears the mask unless you're outdoors.

Deaths are up lately. Hospitalization numbers are kind of scary in Washtenaw over the last 8-9 days.

It's hard to know what to make of the hospitalization's number. They don't release ICU stats at the county level, unfortunately.

But statewide ...
Michigan ICU/Ventilator COVID-19 Stats - Infogram

Deaths follow ICU/Ventilator care. So death totals are going to rise for at least the next week (hard to say because of all the backlogged deaths added).
Yesterday they both declined - the first day both declined since Sept. 24.
Also the positive test rate has flattened. Hope that stays true.

ArcGIS Dashboards

This shows exactly that.

48104 is U-M and 48109 is related.
48197 and 48198 is EMU

Guess where the undisputed highest case%s are located.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
ArcGIS Dashboards

This shows exactly that.

48104 is U-M and 48109 is related.
48197 and 48198 is EMU

Guess where the undisputed highest case%s are located.

Yeah...
Never realized 48104 had so much UofM housing. Also didn't know 48109 was such a weird zip code.
Thing is, 48197/48198 were the top zip codes in the county for COVID until UofM returned to school - so a lot of their numbers are community numbers.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Couldn't do it. I need the room pitch black to sleep. But best of luck with your wall-mounted airport runway beacon. :D

The clock might be decent price, but with air marshals, the cost is going to get out of reach quickly!

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Couldn't do it. I need the room pitch black to sleep. But best of luck with your wall-mounted airport runway beacon. :D

Ah, a kindred spirit! I will go to great lengths to prevent a single photon of light to disturb my peace at bed time. I'd live to have a windowless, sound proof bedroom (legally considered a closet). Barring that, I may need to look into a nice sarcophagus.

Reactions: Winger98

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Ah, a kindred spirit! I will go to great lengths to prevent a single photon of light to disturb my peace at bed time. I'd live to have a windowless, sound proof bedroom (legally considered a closet). Barring that, I may need to look into a nice sarcophagus.

Same. If I can't have it insanely dark I'll use a sleep mask.

And I use a mechanical sound machine to mask out random ambient noise.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Today I learned replacing the battery in an old iphone is a serious pain in the ass because of the adhesive they use. Also, using a screw driver to pry a cell phone battery loose really rips up the battery and creates a bunch of little glowing, burning looking spots.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Today I learned replacing the battery in an old iphone is a serious pain in the ass because of the adhesive they use. Also, using a screw driver to pry a cell phone battery loose really rips up the battery and creates a bunch of little glowing, burning looking spots.

Oh geez. Learn by doing, eh? Hopefully it's a kid's phone and they're young enough to not care.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Oh geez. Learn by doing, eh? Hopefully it's a kid's phone and they're young enough to not care.

Wife's phone. I got the battery out, didn't damage the phone itself and got it back together. I'm really not sure why they have that adhesive in there other than to make it a hassle to swap out the battery, though. I mean, it's such a small case that I have to think that when it is all snapped together there isn't much room for the battery to move. I would think it could just float in there and not hurt anything. From my experience with flip phones and joy cons I can pop the batteries in and out of those with ease. This is something I don't think I'd hassle with again, though.

Also, the battery apple used was...mushy? I don't know if it is something that happens over time to the batteries, but the one I put in was hard, unbending, like every other battery I've ever dealt with. The one I took out seemed to have the consistency of a really stiff putty.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Wife's phone. I got the battery out, didn't damage the phone itself and got it back together. I'm really not sure why they have that adhesive in there other than to make it a hassle to swap out the battery, though. I mean, it's such a small case that I have to think that when it is all snapped together there isn't much room for the battery to move. I would think it could just float in there and not hurt anything. From my experience with flip phones and joy cons I can pop the batteries in and out of those with ease. This is something I don't think I'd hassle with again, though.

Also, the battery apple used was...mushy? I don't know if it is something that happens over time to the batteries, but the one I put in was hard, unbending, like every other battery I've ever dealt with. The one I took out seemed to have the consistency of a really stiff putty.
With my previous (android) phone I had purchased a new battery and originally intended to swap it out. Once I saw how annoying the task would really be, I ended up just buying another phone. (So now I just have a somewhat out-of-date phone instead of an abacus in Samsung clothing.)

Reactions: Winger98

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'm really not sure why they have that adhesive in there other than to make it a hassle to swap out the battery, though.

Answered your own question. They want these things to be replaced when the battery starts to fade in a few years.

They claim it's to make them water resistant or proof, but that's a bunch of malarkey. I had a tough phone with replaceable battery and a screw on back with a gasket. In college, I used to drop it into my beers at the bar and then have my friend call it.

New phones are amazing but in many ways we've moved backwards.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
In college, I used to drop it into my beers at the bar and then have my friend call it.
So wearing the same hat as the young lady of interest isn't the only facet of your repertoire then? Good to know!

he-got-game.jpg

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
What, you don't have $1,200 just lying around not doing nothing?

Right? Imagine if your laptop was 3 years old and the battery died and it's like "oh well, good run. That $2500 machine will just be tossed now."

Oh right they seal laptop batteries on $2500 laptops now too.

I know the chunky battery sticking out the back of an IBM thinkpad wasn't the most sleek thing, but come on. That was so god damn useful.

Our propensity for e-waste is staggering these days. Incredible machines are made to be disposable.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Hey everyone!

Happy Thanksgiving to all you cool turkeys. Over the last decade I can say many of you are not just creepy internet strangers but friends. And I'm thankful for that.

It's a weird year. I know many of us aren't traveling or seeing family. So I hope you all find joy in your own way and reach out how you can.

Anyway back to the sacred tradition of watching the Lions lose. Cheers!

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Hey everyone!

Happy Thanksgiving to all you cool turkeys. Over the last decade I can say many of you are not just creepy internet strangers but friends. And I'm thankful for that.

It's a weird year. I know many of us aren't traveling or seeing family. So I hope you all find joy in your own way and reach out how you can.

Anyway back to the sacred tradition of watching the Lions lose. Cheers!
Same to you and everybody on the board. Have a safe, healthy, fun Thanksgiving!

Reactions: Bench

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Indeed, a happy T-day to all! A lot of people in this thread have helped me keep my head from exploding during trying times. I'm thankful for your insights, shared struggles and comraderie throughout this ordeal.

So far today, I've had to make my tacky-ass dog puke because she ate something nasty at the park, and my oven crapped out so our planned dinner is kaput. S'all good; time for some Vietnamese carry out and beers on the couch. To quote Ice Cube, I gotta say, today was a good day!

Reactions: Bench and Winger98

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Well I think we have here people from different parts of the world so maybe they can give their view on Corona.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad