Coronavirus and General O/T Thread #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I'm confused what you think the point of posting this is.

Most of these are trash sources that you shouldn't go to for news.

A few are old articles based on outdated knowledge "WaPo: ...for now"

A couple are perfectly legitimate, factual headlines that don't undermine whatever you think they are undermining.
AP: "isn't exactly more deadly than the flu" Headline makes it clear that this is nuanced, I'm sure the article itself explains what numbers they're using and why it's conditionally true.
Reuters: "Chinese study says" They're reporting on what a Chinese study says. They make no claim about whether it's true. It's clear that it's a Chinese study and nothing more.

Frankly nobody should give two shits about what Wired or Changing America have to say about the pandemic.

You do quite effectively illustrate why media literacy needs to be taught to all Americans.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I'm confused what you think the point of posting this is.

Most of these are trash sources that you shouldn't go to for news.

A few are old articles based on outdated knowledge "WaPo: ...for now"

A couple are perfectly legitimate, factual headlines that don't undermine whatever you think they are undermining.
AP: "isn't exactly more deadly than the flu" Headline makes it clear that this is nuanced, I'm sure the article itself explains what numbers they're using and why it's conditionally true.
Reuters: "Chinese study says" They're reporting on what a Chinese study says. They make no claim about whether it's true. It's clear that it's a Chinese study and nothing more.

Frankly nobody should give two shits about what Wired or Changing America have to say about the pandemic.

You do quite effectively illustrate why media literacy needs to be taught to all Americans.

I take all of my investment learnings from Buzzfeed listicles, pandemic protections from Wired and Maximum PC. My parenting classes from those tray liner game pages from old McDonalds.

You are telling me that my sources of information are no good?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I take all of my investment learnings from Buzzfeed listicles, pandemic protections from Wired and Maximum PC. My parenting classes from those tray liner game pages from old McDonalds.

You are telling me that my sources of information are no good?

oh, you are not throwing Grimace under the bus on this.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
oh, you are not throwing Grimace under the bus on this.
If you only knew...

1aa58dd88d3ae1338788eec3d5fddb15.jpg

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Just watched a doctor, at Hennepin County (my county), break down crying during her interview after having to tell a patient her family died while she was getting treatment in the ICU. The staff could not reach the husband and daughter - both died due to COVID.

And she's terrified of what is to come, as there are no hospital beds left. It's only getting worse every day now.

Here's someone on the front lines being overwhelmed in a way that's never happened in her career. Please, if you think all of us here are smarmy liberals reading the fake NY Times, overblowing a flu, just listen to the people on the front lines.

The people who have no political dog in this fight. The doctors and nurses struggling now every God damn day to do the best they can to keep people safe and help heal. They are begging everyone to take this seriously because the worst appears to be only just beginning.

Reactions: Winger98

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I am driving the bus backwards over him. Screw that purple blob. Wasn't he supposed to be a scary monster?

McDonald's Original Grimace Mascot Terrified Kids And Was A Total Failure

Yeah, he used to be a four-armed freak who stole shakes just like the hamburglar.

But he was reformed! He turned over a new lease on life, being a source of enjoyment and fun and laughter for kids the world over!

If you only knew...

1aa58dd88d3ae1338788eec3d5fddb15.jpg

He might have relapsed.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Friday I ran some numbers.
Just going from memory here.
Wayne, Oakland, Washtenaw and Macomb are about 42 percent of Michigan's population.
When COVID-19 peaked, their daily death average combined for about 90 of the 151 deaths/day in Michigan.
On Friday, they combined for 10 of the 67 deaths per day in Michigan.

So why are these most heavily populated counties not rising so fast? A few ideas:
1) More people in WOWM have had it. Less room for true spread.
2) More people in these counties are wearing masks and social distancing.
3) More of the truly vulnerable people in these counties have died already. The other counties have more susceptible people in harm's way.
4) Our hospitals have more resources. Our doctors and nurses have more experience.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Digital wall clocks are just so damn ugly. The only one I really like is $130, and that's not happening for a clock. Everything else looks like they took a digital alarm clock from twenty years ago and nailed it to the wall. This is the one I like the most that isn't stupidly expensive:

51cGtuLN5YL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

It basically being a big nightlight is a strangely big selling point for me.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Wayne, Oakland, Washtenaw and Macomb are about 42 percent of Michigan's population.
When COVID-19 peaked, their daily death average combined for about 90 of the 151 deaths/day in Michigan.

So why are these most heavily populated counties not rising so fast? A few ideas:
3) More of the truly vulnerable people in these counties have died already. The other counties have more susceptible people in harm's way.
4) Our hospitals have more resources. Our doctors and nurses have more experience.

It could be compliance with mask usage and practicing social distancing. Some politicians in Western Michigan are now pushing mask mandates:

Michigan House Rep. Tommy Brann (R-Wyoming) joined with West Michigan physician Rob Davidson to call for the state Legislature to pass a law requiring masks to be worn indoors and in crowded areas outdoors.
Brann cites the 50,000 new cases the state recorded last week, many of which came in west Michigan, and dwindling hospital capacity as reasons for the mask mandate.
“The public health facts in West Michigan are changing rapidly and for the worse. Our family members, friends, and neighbors are becoming sick and dying at unprecedented rates, and our community hospitals are reaching a breaking point,” Brann said in a statement.

Link: Coronavirus Tracker | Daily deaths approach 100 in Michigan; Rite Aid to start charging for tests

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012

#1 - Probably true for Wayne and maybe Oakland
#2 - Definitely true for Oakland and Washtenaw
#3 - Don't know how you can quantify that.
#4 - Definitely. You're far more likely to survive at U-M Hospital, Henry Ford, Detroit Receiving, or any of those type of hospitals over some small hospital in Clare County or Ogemaw.

Washtenaw has never really, outside of U-M being locked down, gone banana bread boom boom on cases. We've been pretty dang good all things considered, because the largest population center is Ann Arbor which is going to be a place where mask use is extremely high among residents and if you lay out a scientific "mandate" about how to deal with something, they'll be interested in following that. Then, the more rural areas (Manchester, Dexter, Chelsea, etc) are all so spread out that the spread is limited just due to the sheer physical distance between people's property. I think a decent amount of the containment of spread on the edge of the suburbs (Macomb too) will be due to this phenomenon. They've got one big "population bomb" of cities and a lot of the land is more spread out, the further you get from Detroit.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Washtenaw has never really, outside of U-M being locked down, gone banana bread boom boom on cases.
Sorry, but I'm not even asking for permission. I'm just gonna steal this phrase.

Next time somebody has a 4 point game? They went banana bread boom boom on lighting the lamp.

When a goalie posts a 42 save shutout? He went banana bread boom boom in net.

A guy lands some major haymakers in a fight? He went banana bread boom boom on that dude's face.

Oh, it's happening. Catch Phrase City.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Digital wall clocks are just so damn ugly. The only one I really like is $130, and that's not happening for a clock. Everything else looks like they took a digital alarm clock from twenty years ago and nailed it to the wall. This is the one I like the most that isn't stupidly expensive:

51cGtuLN5YL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

It basically being a big nightlight is a strangely big selling point for me.

Maybe the ugly ones look better hanging upside down. :sarcasm:

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
So, Steelers/Ravens game just got pushed to Sunday due to the Ravens Covid situation. What are the chances the Lions game gets bumped up a timeslot?

I'm on afternoons this week, so a 4:20 kickoff would be much preferable to 12:30. :laugh:

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
#1 - Probably true for Wayne and maybe Oakland
#2 - Definitely true for Oakland and Washtenaw
#3 - Don't know how you can quantify that.
#4 - Definitely. You're far more likely to survive at U-M Hospital, Henry Ford, Detroit Receiving, or any of those type of hospitals over some small hospital in Clare County or Ogemaw.

Washtenaw has never really, outside of U-M being locked down, gone banana bread boom boom on cases. We've been pretty dang good all things considered, because the largest population center is Ann Arbor which is going to be a place where mask use is extremely high among residents and if you lay out a scientific "mandate" about how to deal with something, they'll be interested in following that. Then, the more rural areas (Manchester, Dexter, Chelsea, etc) are all so spread out that the spread is limited just due to the sheer physical distance between people's property. I think a decent amount of the containment of spread on the edge of the suburbs (Macomb too) will be due to this phenomenon. They've got one big "population bomb" of cities and a lot of the land is more spread out, the further you get from Detroit.

I've been up and down telegraph road a few times in Wayne, and I'm surprised at the number of places where there are workers who don't even pretend to be wearing a mask.
In Washtenaw, sometimes I roll up on someone or walk in and they quickly lift their mask.
In some of these Wayne County areas, they just don't even pretend. I honestly don't care. It was just weird to see. The chances of getting COVID while walking in and out of Dunkin donuts is pretty slim.

Re Washtenaw...
My old zipcode (48104) in Ann Arbor has been hit hard. Ypsi has been hit hard.
But the other zips are mostly OK, at my last look.
Saline - everyone wears the mask unless you're outdoors.

Deaths are up lately. Hospitalization numbers are kind of scary in Washtenaw over the last 8-9 days.

It's hard to know what to make of the hospitalization's number. They don't release ICU stats at the county level, unfortunately.

But statewide ...
Michigan ICU/Ventilator COVID-19 Stats - Infogram

Deaths follow ICU/Ventilator care. So death totals are going to rise for at least the next week (hard to say because of all the backlogged deaths added).
Yesterday they both declined - the first day both declined since Sept. 24.
Also the positive test rate has flattened. Hope that stays true.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Couldn't do it. I need the room pitch black to sleep. But best of luck with your wall-mounted airport runway beacon. :D

It's definitely not for the bedroom. I'm just looking for a more kid-friendly clock for the living/dining room area.

I do, it's bruised shins!

Maybe the ugly ones look better hanging upside down. :sarcasm:

It would look a bit like like a Tokyo street corner then, which is prettier because I don't understand it at all.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
It's definitely not for the bedroom. I'm just looking for a more kid-friendly clock for the living/dining room area.

I do, it's bruised shins!

It would look a bit like like a Tokyo street corner then, which is prettier because I don't understand it at all.

Au Contraire. It is certainly for the bedroom. Need that neon glow for sexy times.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I've been up and down telegraph road a few times in Wayne, and I'm surprised at the number of places where there are workers who don't even pretend to be wearing a mask.
In Washtenaw, sometimes I roll up on someone or walk in and they quickly lift their mask.
In some of these Wayne County areas, they just don't even pretend. I honestly don't care. It was just weird to see. The chances of getting COVID while walking in and out of Dunkin donuts is pretty slim.

Re Washtenaw...
My old zipcode (48104) in Ann Arbor has been hit hard. Ypsi has been hit hard.
But the other zips are mostly OK, at my last look.
Saline - everyone wears the mask unless you're outdoors.

Deaths are up lately. Hospitalization numbers are kind of scary in Washtenaw over the last 8-9 days.

It's hard to know what to make of the hospitalization's number. They don't release ICU stats at the county level, unfortunately.

But statewide ...
Michigan ICU/Ventilator COVID-19 Stats - Infogram

Deaths follow ICU/Ventilator care. So death totals are going to rise for at least the next week (hard to say because of all the backlogged deaths added).
Yesterday they both declined - the first day both declined since Sept. 24.
Also the positive test rate has flattened. Hope that stays true.

Update: ICU bed use down for the second straight day. First time since Sept. 23-24.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->