Coronavirus and General O/T Thread #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
I got a Raspberry Pi for Xmas! Happy Holidays!

Yeah what do you plan to build with it? I heard it's really easy tomake your own mini NES/SNES/etc. with it. Everyone spending hundreds on those mini systems.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I won't lie, it does feel weird to be in the first 1% or so.

WI2iBoW.gif

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Does the vaccine help people who already have covid?

Are we talking someone who had it previously?

If it's someone who had it before, it's still advised you get the vaccine. This is because it's unknown how long the natural immunity will last and how strong a reaction it had. Because everyone is different, it's possible some folks didn't have a strong immune response even after infected, so they could be open to reinfection.

At this point, most experts err on the side of caution and are advising people to get the vaccine if available.

Here's the CDC link about this topic.

COVID-19 and Your Health

FACT: People who have gotten sick with COVID-19 may still benefit from getting vaccinated

Due to the severe health risks associated with COVID-19 and the fact that re-infection with COVID-19 is possible, people may be advised to get a COVID-19 vaccine even if they have been sick with COVID-19 before.

At this time, experts do not know how long someone is protected from getting sick again after recovering from COVID-19. The immunity someone gains from having an infection, called natural immunity, varies from person to person. Some early evidence suggests natural immunity may not last very long.

We won’t know how long immunity produced by vaccination lasts until we have a vaccine and more data on how well it works.

Both natural immunity and vaccine-induced immunity are important aspects of COVID-19 that experts are trying to learn more about, and CDC will keep the public informed as new evidence becomes available.

As an aside for anyone curious about side effects and what to expect, I had some injection site soreness yesterday, minor muscle aches, and today I'm feeling slightly worn out. All symptoms of the immune system working hard. But ultimately that's it. Very minor symptoms and I expect I'll feel back to 100% tomorrow.

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Sorry if it was previously stated, but which vaccine did you get @Bench ? Pfizer? Moderna? Just curious in relation to your comments about side effects and the news on reactions for those with allergies.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Sorry if it was previously stated, but which vaccine did you get @Bench ? Pfizer? Moderna? Just curious in relation to your comments about side effects and the news on reactions for those with allergies.

I got the Pfizer. Pretty similar to how I feel after a flu shot, which is just a bit more worn down than normal for about a day. I'm expecting to feel nothing by tomorrow morning. The injection site tenderness is almost gone at this point.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
As an aside for anyone curious about side effects and what to expect, I had some injection site soreness yesterday, minor muscle aches, and today I'm feeling slightly worn out. All symptoms of the immune system working hard. But ultimately that's it. Very minor symptoms and I expect I'll feel back to 100% tomorrow.

This was my wife's experience too. And she was indeed 100% the second day afterward.

In the meantime, there weren't any WJC games today which was a bummer, so now I'm sipping whiskey and watching Slap Shot. Gotta get that hockey fix somehow.

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
I was thinking more of if you are presently sick with covid does the vaccine help cure it

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I was thinking more of if you are presently sick with covid does the vaccine help cure it

That's never how any vaccine has ever worked.

Basically vaccines in a lay explanation are one of two things (wildly simplified, of course)

1) A dormant load of the virus that will not get you sick but will allow your immune system to train fighting against it. So the next time you get whatever the vaccine is for, your WBCs say "I know this mother f***er, he's a little bitch.
2) COVID's vaccine is more like "a scouting plan" on the virus. They don't use dormant SARS COV-2, but more little RNA instructions that say "those things are going to use those big spikes on their outsides to try to puncture your cell. So don't let that happen and you're good." Most of the vaccines are focused on the protein spikes. Kind of like why the flying V would never work in hockey. You blast the guy in front and it all collapses.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
That's never how any vaccine has ever worked.

Basically vaccines in a lay explanation are one of two things (wildly simplified, of course)

1) A dormant load of the virus that will not get you sick but will allow your immune system to train fighting against it. So the next time you get whatever the vaccine is for, your WBCs say "I know this mother f***er, he's a little bitch.
2) COVID's vaccine is more like "a scouting plan" on the virus. They don't use dormant SARS COV-2, but more little RNA instructions that say "those things are going to use those big spikes on their outsides to try to puncture your cell. So don't let that happen and you're good." Most of the vaccines are focused on the protein spikes. Kind of like why the flying V would never work in hockey. You blast the guy in front and it all collapses.

It also takes multiple days/weeks to train your immune system, which is one of several reasons why the vaccine can't "cure" a virus that is already ravaging your body. There's not enough prep time.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Most of the vaccines are focused on the protein spikes. Kind of like why the flying V would never work in hockey. You blast the guy in front and it all collapses.

The way you brought this point home was a delight. *Chef kiss*

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
So, I just found out how dependant I am on my cell phone.

Conveniently, my old phone completely crapped out in the afternoon on NYE. Everything was closed yesterday, so couldn't get a new one til today.

Spent the past couple hours trying to remember passwords that somehow didn't get saved when I transfered my SIM card.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
So, I just found out how dependant I am on my cell phone.

Conveniently, my old phone completely crapped out in the afternoon on NYE. Everything was closed yesterday, so couldn't get a new one til today.

Spent the past couple hours trying to remember passwords that somehow didn't get saved when I transfered my SIM card.

You should look into keepass for password management.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Yea, I was thinking that yesterday. Lol Not specifically Keepass, but just some kind of password manager.

I knew one of these days auto saving everything would bite me in the ass.
I've used 1Password for years. Not sure what you're running but it seems better on iOS/Mac than Windows FWIW.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad