Coronavirus and General O/T Thread #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Speaking of extravagant smartphones, the $40 phone we got out kid because he's a kid has all of 8gb of storage. Which we thought wouldn't be a problem because it has a miniSD slot and memory cards are cheap.

Except the carrier has disabled the ability to format it for internal storage, only external storage to save pictures and what not. 75% of the 8gb is taken up by the OS. He has like three apps and no memory because the carrier is a jerk. The carrier is ATT, btw.

While it's crazy how much people spend on phones, carriers also go out of their way to cripple the most cost effective options. There is no reason whatsoever that any phone should be limited by its internal storage if there is an SD slot available but it might be you have to pay a significant premium just to have a reasonable amount of memory to use.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Hey everyone!

Happy Thanksgiving to all you cool turkeys. Over the last decade I can say many of you are not just creepy internet strangers but friends. And I'm thankful for that.

It's a weird year. I know many of us aren't traveling or seeing family. So I hope you all find joy in your own way and reach out how you can.

Anyway back to the sacred tradition of watching the Lions lose. Cheers!

Currently eating seconds. Sorry not sorry.

Reactions: Winger98 and Bench

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
I'm not usually a big fan of Turkey to be honest. I'll eat a few slices but I kind of prefer Ham and/or Salmon during Thanksgiving. This year, however, my brother in law killed it. We had Turkey and Ham and I'm not sure which one I liked more this year. I didn't even have to add any gravy/sauce to the Turkey.

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
And yes, depending on how I feel later, I may be getting a new stupid ass Samsung Phone on Friday.

Reactions: Winger98

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
And yes, depending on how I feel later, I may be getting a new stupid ass Samsung Phone on Friday.

In my best Seinfeld voice: "What's the deal with how long cell phones are these days? We trying to set a new 10 commandments or something?"

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I'm not usually a big fan of Turkey to be honest. I'll eat a few slices but I kind of prefer Ham and/or Salmon during Thanksgiving. This year, however, my brother in law killed it. We had Turkey and Ham and I'm not sure which one I liked more this year. I didn't even have to add any gravy/sauce to the Turkey.

Dude, Thanksgiving is all about the gravy.
Mashed potatoes? Boring as f***. Mashed potatoes with butter and gravy? Best thing on earth.

Reactions: Winger98 and Bench

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Actually he's uncomfortable with what he thinks BLM is, based upon the media sources he chooses to believe.

That's not necessarily a statement on accuracy either way. Just that we each have our own perceptions (and that people in general are increasingly choosing to believe sources that they agree with, rather than sources with widespread credibility).

I have found, in general, the most vocal critics don't actually live in communities where BLM is active.

Exposure and first hand experience seem to shape perceptions dramatically to different types of folks.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Dude, Thanksgiving is all about the gravy.
Mashed potatoes? Boring as f***. Mashed potatoes with butter and gravy? Best thing on earth.

Check out how many black activists from the 60s, 70s and 80s are in jail - essentially political prisoners.

In the spirit of comradery, I wanted to commemorate these back to back posts we're in total agreement.

Reactions: Ricelund

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
On a wholly different note, I’m not sure how I missed this in 2018... but this video is quite the shitshow

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
On a wholly different note, I’m not sure how I missed this in 2018... but this video is quite the shitshow

When this first came out I thought it was the typical youtube nerds freaking out over some minor stuff. And some of it is super nitpicky. But other parts (like goofing the RAM slots) are pretty damn awful for what is advertised as a tutorial for beginners.

Hard to believe anybody put their name on it and didn't feel any regret until the dogpile.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
When this first came out I thought it was the typical youtube nerds freaking out over some minor stuff. And some of it is super nitpicky. But other parts (like goofing the RAM slots) are pretty damn awful for what is advertised as a tutorial for beginners.

Hard to believe anybody put their name on it and didn't feel any regret until the dogpile.

Yeah. I did notice that.

But the following from it are not simply nitpicks

1. Hopefully have a screwdriver. Like one of the first things you do for any tutorial is make sure you have all the tools you need. Which don't include an Allen wrench, in case you were wondering.
2. Anti-static bracelet. That's really bad, because I wouldn't want a tutorial letting me screw stuff up by giving me a feeling of security that actually doesn't do anything.
3. As you mentioned, the RAM is clearly explained in the manual if you look for more than a couple seconds.
4. Putting the PSU upside down (so the exhaust fan on it is completely blocked). This will destabilize and/or kill a PSU in short order.
5. Screwing in the radiator without fans attached which necessitates unscrewing the radiator again to get everything set up correctly.

Like anything about cable management? That's nitpicky. The table thing, yeah, nitpicky.

But there is enough "wow, this is abjectly horrible" that Capital One should be annoyed that they sponsored this video. Dude actually got let go by The Verge. What's real funny is if the guy just came out and said "yeah, I was real big dumb in that video", the internet would have backed off. But he doubled down by complaining about the mean internet nerds and stating how his PC is just way better than anything they can build. It's exactly like Matt Patricia going on about his "greatest defensive call ever" after the times the Lions would lose because their defense was as easy to score on as a dime store prostitute. Like, it's clear as day that you're doing a godawful job. Just state what is obvious.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
But the following from it are not simply nitpicks

Oh I completely agree. I was saying at first, before I saw the video, I figured it was limp gamer rage. The number of "controversies" I see that end up being straight up nothing are beyond count.

But this one, yikes.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Oh hey speaking of computers!

I got to really appreciate ray tracing in a game for the first time and... Holy shit, it's incredible. Most graphical improvements are sort of subtle these days and not something that punches you on your ass like the first time you saw a 3D game as a kid.

But ray tracing is kind of a game changer. Light looks so real and the way it reflects and moves around surfaces... It looks real. That's all I can say. It's the first time I went "oh shit" in a long time when it comes to graphics.

I was playing through Control and that game showcases what ray tracing is about. Of course it's not one of those essential options you can't live without, but damn dude. It's cool as hell.

Also was anyone else here an Alan Wake fanboy like me? Or even Max Payne? I'm just a huge Remedy shill, I guess.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Oh hey speaking of computers!

I got to really appreciate ray tracing in a game for the first time and... Holy shit, it's incredible. Most graphical improvements are sort of subtle these days and not something that punches you on your ass like the first time you saw a 3D game as a kid.

But ray tracing is kind of a game changer. Light looks so real and the way it reflects and moves around surfaces... It looks real. That's all I can say. It's the first time I went "oh shit" in a long time when it comes to graphics.

I was playing through Control and that game showcases what ray tracing is about. Of course it's not one of those essential options you can't live without, but damn dude. It's cool as hell.

Also was anyone else here an Alan Wake fanboy like me? Or even Max Payne? I'm just a huge Remedy shill, I guess.
Pretty sure the Max Payne games were one of the first games I perfected.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Moving all my OT TV talk from the Athletic thread to here.

Put me down as another, "still need to see it" guy.

It's rare that a TV in our house isn't showing something for the kiddos. But we did get through the full miniseries of The Queen's Gambit, which was a good watch.

That's part of the daunting prospect, the time investment.

60 episodes at 1 hour each. 60 hours. Even if I commit 2 hours a week, I won't finish for 30 weeks or about 7-8 months.

Not that it's a problem or anything, but when I pick up shorter series at least I know I'll be able to get through them more timely and try a variety of things.

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
Moving all my OT TV talk from the Athletic thread to here.

That's part of the daunting prospect, the time investment.

60 episodes at 1 hour each. 60 hours. Even if I commit 2 hours a week, I won't finish for 30 weeks or about 7-8 months.

Not that it's a problem or anything, but when I pick up shorter series at least I know I'll be able to get through them more timely and try a variety of things.

I wonder if it's time to start another fun thread like your Napster one. Only this one would be about TV/Movies; sponsored by Blockbuster.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I wonder if it's time to start another fun thread like your Napster one. Only this one would be about TV/Movies; sponsored by Blockbuster.

Ah, Blockbuster.

I genuinely miss video stores. All these streaming services are amazing, but their algorithms fail to capture the experience of stumbling upon a movie you'd never normally watch, reading the back of the box, and then taking it home with snacks.

Reactions: Winger98

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
Ah, Blockbuster.

I genuinely miss video stores. All these streaming services are amazing, but their algorithms fail to capture the experience of stumbling upon a movie you'd never normally watch, reading the back of the box, and then taking it home with snacks.

Do kids these days really know what it means to rewind something all the way before returning it?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Do kids these days really know what it means to rewind something all the way before returning it?

Be kind, rewind!

Or how about having a separate machine just to rewind tapes because doing so in your VCR would wear the motor out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad