OT: Coronavirus 3 - wait but Covid 19 is SARS-CoV-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Well if you're going to argument on the actual legal text on the Amendment...

Just to play the devout's advocate, maybe she really meant to mean that her (and everyone's) "freedom to assemble" has been infringed as per the 1st Amendment, and maybe she's the sort of person who want to (faultily) insist that "freedom of (Christian) religion" is the core right in the First Amendment, so that 1st is a "freedom of religion" amendment as far as she's concerned. Ultimately she's presenting a political claim masked as a legal/constitutional one. Very popular passtime nowadays in both ends of the political spectrum.
A couple of comments: I agree with your next to last statement and think that's what it is.

1) If I take her words at face value, it reads more that she's upset that for a period of 14 days, she can't go to church, which is probably 2 church services (that likely weren't holding in person gatherings anyhow). I won't try to read more into it than that. I agree with you, it's more likely a political claim masked as a legal/constitutional one.

2) In fact, her own statement said "She went on to say that 'It has been insinuated by others that if I go out, I could be arrested for denying a quarantine order.' If the government or police told her this, why not state that? I guarantee you there is almost zero chance that the police/gov't would have even known if she stayed home or not during this 14 days. There's no electronic bracelets, phone apps, etc.. to enforce it. This, IMO, was a publicity ploy from her, more than anything. If she felt so strongly about it, why wait until 14 days are over? Why not start calling the media on day 1 when your rights are infringed upon? Why not go out and see if you get arrested? If it was the gov't or police telling her this directly, why not state it? Again, fits right in with your description of this being a political claim masked as a constitutional one.

3) UNC law professor William Marshall said in times of crisis, the government is allowed to take emergency action, citing a Supreme Court ruling during the 1905 smallpox epidemic.
“The community has a right to defend itself against deathly disease. So that’s what’s on the side of the state. On the side of the individual, of course, it’s a major intrusion on a person’s right,” Marshall said.

There is precedent for this.

I do understand the tight rope the government has to walk regarding protection of the masses and protection of rights and liberties and I acknowledge that if the pendulum swings too far one way or another, we won't like the results. In this case, if a person, who has tested positive for a highly transmissible disease can't stay away from others for 14 days and miss church service (and I doubt churches were even holding services), then God help us all. That wouldn't get any press though and wouldn't help her to promote her cause.

My guess is she knew the right thing to do was to stay away from others for 14 days so she did, but now is using it for her cause.

Last edited:

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
That's what we say to everyone in hope to be mistaken for West Europeans, but in reality our public servants run things with East European mentality on their part and with German vigor as far as the formalities are imposed onto the administrative subject.

We have lot in common with Germans, but we hide it really well, because unlike them we’re flexible.

Being under foreign yoke for centuries does that.

Heydrich supposedly said that Poles are like raspers. They won’t bend, but they will break. Czechs on the other hand are like willow branches. They bend easily, but once you stop holding them down, they spring into your face.

Saw it somewhere, but can’t confirm it.

What he has DEFINITELY called us was “laughing beasts”.

What a compliment.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
My guess is she knew the right thing to do was to stay away from others for 14 days so she did, but now is using it for her cause.

That's where I landed. She technically could have joined the protests or done anything else she would have liked, but somewhere deep down inside, she knew that was an idiotic idea.

But then again, from the first-hand accounts I've read, if she had the Coronavirus, she probably didn't feel like doing much of anything except sleeping and forcing yourself to try to sleep because being awake is torture.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
2) In fact, her own statement said "She went on to say that 'It has been insinuated by others that if I go out, I could be arrested for denying a quarantine order.' If the government or police told her this, why not state that?

I am in agreement with the whole of your post.

But, I have to say, when they come to erode and/or infringe your rights, this is how they do it. They in power will imply in very clear terms what will become of you, if you do the thing they don't want you to do, but stop right short of making the official actionable action that you could take to be tried in court of law. They will do their evil deeds with just the correct amount of plausible deniability to it for them to claim afterwards that they didn't do anything and you on your own accord did all the infringing of your legal rights by yourself.

Because are you going to go out and test if you actually will get arrested, with the side order of the social service then moving in to protect your children because you got arrested and never truly leaving you alone afterwards?

Reactions: DaveG

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I am in agreement with the whole of your post.

But, I have to say, when they come to erode and/or infringe your rights, this is how they do it. They in power will imply in very clear terms what will become of you, if you do the thing they don't want you to do, but stop right short of making the official actionable action that you could take to be tried in court of law. They will do their evil deeds with just the correct amount of plausible deniability to it for them to claim afterwards that they didn't do anything and you on your own accord did all the infringing of your legal rights by yourself.

Because are you going to go out and test if you actually will get arrested, with the side order of the social service then moving in to protect your children because you got arrested and never truly leaving you alone afterwards?

Meh, I tend to stay away from conspiracy theories and accept the simple answer. She knew it was right to stay away from others. She knew (as we've seen in much of America), that it's not very enforceable, but it makes for good press when she wants to further her cause. The Government isn't trying to do "evil deeds" here.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
Yep, this is how you know we aren't going back to normal for a while.

I can't imagine a scenario where the league stops playing entirely until a vaccine and/or cure is found. But I can imagine a scenario where, if they play in front of fans, admission is limited to a certain percentage of capacity and everyone in the building is required to wear a mask. Might as well try and make some money on the officially official team mask.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Meh, I tend to stay away from conspiracy theories and accept the simple answer. She knew it was right to stay away from others. She knew (as we've seen in much of America), that it's not very enforceable, but it makes for good press when she wants to further her cause. The Government isn't trying to do "evil deeds" here.
I wasn't talking about this incident, this here case is what it is.

But on a general note: when a person knowingly unlawfully abusing public authority bestowed on themselves chooses to not respect your constitutional rights, they do it by maneuvering around what should be your legal protections in such an occasion. If you can for example appeal on a Decision to an administrative court, you probably won't be getting a Decision but some other unactionable form of shady paper. You will get insinuations, implications, suggestions etc.

(Believe me, I wish I didn't know what I'm talking about.)

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Simon Properties just announced they will be opening all of its malls. They own most of the largest malls in the Atlanta area.

I assume the stores inside them still have to abide by whatever the state says regarding essential/non-essential operations. Still, I live within a mile of two of the largest malls, and am not looking forward to increased traffic.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Anyone who has their conspiracy theories like me that they already had it now has an opportunity to put their money where their mouth is. Quest is offering an antibody test that does not require a doctor visit/referral.

Quest Diagnostics is rolling out the first coronavirus antibody test you can order online. Here's how you can get one.
Concerns have mounted in recent weeks as more than 140 sellers have flooded the market with unapproved antibody kits.
The US Food and Drug Administration lowered the bar for approval in an effort to make the tests more widely available during the pandemic. Some of the companies, however, have provided misleading information about FDA authorization, withheld information about accuracy, or vetted the tests for different purposes than what they'll actually be used for, according to the agency and reporting by Business Insider.

This is concerning. I'm pretty much considering the vast majority of these tests scams until they prove otherwise.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Anyone who has their conspiracy theories like me that they already had it now has an opportunity to put their money where their mouth is. Quest is offering an antibody test that does not require a doctor visit/referral.

Quest Diagnostics is rolling out the first coronavirus antibody test you can order online. Here's how you can get one.
It wouldn't prove when you got it though, right? Anyone could have just had it with no symptoms a couple of weeks ago for instance, right?

Reactions: DaveG and MinJaBen

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018

This Australian started off as a gaming channel, but lo and behold, now he's doing news as well and it's actually... good? As in - he tries to get as many sources as possible and tries to avoid bias.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Regardless of what one thinks about that YouTube video that was yanked (my take: methodology was badly flawed so that the numerical conclusion made is meaningless but the general idea there are far more cases that were never diagnosed seems like something any sensible person would think given how easy this thing spreads) why do people still think banning things does anything but draw more attention to them and cause everyone to actively search for them? Or that when something is banned the general mentality of people in general is to be more likely to agree with what the banned video/speech says? Posting your own video in response pointing out all the inaccuracies would in fact be far more effective.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Regardless of what one thinks about that YouTube video that was yanked (my take: methodology was badly flawed so that the numerical conclusion made is meaningless but the general idea there are far more cases that were never diagnosed seems like something any sensible person would think given how easy this thing spreads) why do people still think banning things does anything but draw more attention to them and cause everyone to actively search for them? Or that when something is banned the general mentality of people in general is to be more likely to agree with what the banned video/speech says? Posting your own video in response pointing out all the inaccuracies would in fact be far more effective.
Streisand effect. The more people try to shut down and deny something exists the more people will go out of their way to try to find it.

Reactions: sabremike

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
After all of the insistence that a vaccine must take at least 12-18 months, I feel like I've been conditioned to be concerned about this rather than optimistic. What steps are being skipped in the development/testing process?
True, but starting with something you have already been working with for years might mean some of those steps were already done before. I guess for each vaccine under development, it depends on how much prior work is applicable.

I agree though, I’m cautious in any optimism.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
Data in NC looking good to move to Phase 1 after stay-at-home expires May 8. Positive tests as a percent of total tests is on a downward trend since April 18th:

M_PercentofTotalTests.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad