Corona Virus Thread Part 4 of Unknown (MOD NOTE IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
It's no surprise some countries are having a tough time getting the virus under control. The UK is just now implementing a program of contact tracing!?? WTH?? They've been getting decimated for months there and NOW they start contact tracing?? It's like saying "jesus, we've done nothing and this virus still isn't letting up! If doing nothing doesn't work how are we ever going to fix this???"

Reactions: Jets 31

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
my county and state has given up fighting regarding any type of restrictions, and have now just essentially issued a plea for everyone to do the right thing, without any kind of enforcement mechanism. this has pleased the mayor of my city, as he had previously railed against (verbatim quote) 'letting experts tell us what we can and can't do in our city'. on the bright side, at least testing is somewhat available now, and while we haven't really plateaued the spikes are smallish at least. But everyone is already acting like they are gonna go back to acting like they always have.

On an 'amusing' side note - while many in my community are encouraging anti-china sentiments, they haven't come up with a good talking point yet when asked how they are going to justify spending hundreds or thousands of $ in a few weeks buying chinese made fireworks to celebrate the true purpose of independence day, i.e. blowing shit up.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Here's a transcript of Trump's exact words, and I've bolded the section where he specifically mentions "disinfectant" but left the rest in for context:

"So I asked Bill a question some of you are thinking of if you're into that world, which I find to be pretty interesting. So, supposing we hit the body with a tremendous, whether its ultraviolet or just very powerful light, and I think you said, that hasn't been checked but you're gonna test it. And then I said, supposing it brought the light inside the body, which you can either do either through the skin or some other way, and I think you said you're gonna test that too, sounds interesting. And I then I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute, and is there a way you can do something like that by injection inside, or almost a cleaning. Because you see it gets in the lungs, and it does a tremendous number on the lungs. So it'd be interesting to check that. So you're going to have to use medical doctors, but it sounds interesting to me, so we'll see. But the whole concept of the light, the way it goes in one minute, that's pretty powerful."

Nowhere does he mention cleaning products and nowhere does he suggest anyone "should inject themselves".

You can see he says "I'd be interesting to check that ... it sounds interesting to me, so we'll see."

I mean, it's rather ridiculous on its face, but it isn't "people should go drink bleach" as the media spun it. And I think this is a problem that the media exaggerates things that need no exaggeration, and thereby give an opening for blind Trump supporters (or those who just don't like the media) to say "see the media is lying again." And by repeating the media's distortion of what was actually said, you're never going to convince anyone what Trump said was dumb or wrong.

Just go with what he actually said. It's pretty cringeworthy to wonder out loud "is there a way that you can do something like that (disinfecting in one minute) by injection inside, or almost a cleaning." I'm not an expert in biology but that sounds dumb. But that's also part of Trump's schtick as far as I can tell, just speaking a lot of nonsense. I have to admit that in a way it is vaguely endearing, I can see how it sucks some people in. He's an entertainer and he somehow pulls it off. Doesn't make it smart to say; but I think the media is it's own worst enemy by melting down at every thing the man says.

Yeah, it's so hard to understand him. His speech patterns are choppy and inarticulate. He can't finish a sentence. Likely explained by dementia. That's one of the problems for the Coronavirus situation. His guidance to the American people is entirely unclear and massively confusing. There are a lot of sheep in america, people that want do do what they think he said. That's why there was a huge spike of calls in to state's poison control centers right after Trump did this press conference. You can quote the words here and bold them and show that he didn't actually precisely say to drink bleach to fight Covid, but a lot of people that watched that press conference interpreted what he said as drink bleach or drink disinfectant.

Here is just one of many reports - this one from Iowa.

Iowa Poison Control gets more calls for exposure to cleaners

Dementia could explain his inability to speak. Medical experts think so.

Does Donald Trump have dementia? We need to know: Psychologist

Thing is, I think Joe Biden has the same problem. Two aged, dementia suffering, grey haired white guys - which would you like as the president to lead the free world through the Coronavirus pandemic and a possible armed conflict with China & others - some choice!!

And I can make that criticism, because I am a somewhat aged, somewhat grey haired white guy!

Last edited:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
THIS IS NOT A "IS TRUMP GOOD?" THREAD OR A GENERAL DISCUSSION OF US POLITICS.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
The incident in Minneapolis was absolutely disgusting. Good the police officers got fired though at least one should have criminal charges brought against him.

This incident in Toronto over wearing masks is disturbing.
Toronto store owners brutally beaten after forcing customer out for not wearing mask
Again, all that the media reports is upsetting things. Remember that 99% of the population is good and caring, but the thing they do don’t get everyone riled up to watch their station or click their links.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
It's amazing the info or lack of, we are given ... divide and conquer.

Prestigious medical journal urges outpatient use of hydroxychloroquine regimen for COVID-19

The most compelling argument, the journal said, is how hydroxycholoroquine plus azithromycin reduces the rate of mortality.
Below are the percentages of doctors prescribing the hydroxychloroquine plus azithromycin regimen to COVID-19 patients across the globe:
  • 72% in Spain;
  • 49% in Italy;
  • 41% in Brazil;
  • 39% in Mexico;
  • 28% in France;
  • 23% in the US;
  • 17% in Germany;
  • 16% in Canada;
  • 13% in the UK;
And at four New York hospitals, a recent study found that adding zinc sulfate with hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin significantly cuts both the need for intubation and mortality risks by half, researchers said.

Prestigious medical journal urges outpatient use of hydroxychloroquine regimen for COVID-19

Okay go ahead and attack or delete this post.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
It's amazing the info or lack of, we are given ... divide and conquer.

The most compelling argument, the journal said, is how hydroxycholoroquine plus azithromycin reduces the rate of mortality.
Below are the percentages of doctors prescribing the hydroxychloroquine plus azithromycin regimen to COVID-19 patients across the globe:
  • 72% in Spain;
  • 49% in Italy;
  • 41% in Brazil;
  • 39% in Mexico;
  • 28% in France;
  • 23% in the US;
  • 17% in Germany;
  • 16% in Canada;
  • 13% in the UK;
And at four New York hospitals, a recent study found that adding zinc sulfate with hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin significantly cuts both the need for intubation and mortality risks by half, researchers said.

Okay go ahead and attack or delete this post.
The paper is here: Early Outpatient Treatment of Symptomatic, High-Risk Covid-19 Patients that Should be Ramped-Up Immediately as Key to the Pandemic Crisis - if anyone wants to download the PDF and read the whole thing.

And I've heard this too about hydroxychloroquine+azithromycin+zinc - that it looks like it may be beneficial as a prophylactic in people who are sick but don't yet need hospitalization. However, it looks like it's not beneficial (and actually harmful) to people who are experiencing more severe disease.

The overall risk of HCQ is quite low - it's been used for ages. The author argues that the risk of heart issues is massively outweighed by the available evidence that HCQ helps keep people out of the hospital.

It's definitely worth looking into further...it seems like something is there.

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
Big pharma companies are against HCQ because the drug is too cheap. Currently the cost is about $37 for 100 2mg pills. Other promising meds like remdesiver have open ended pricing at this point..... anywhere from 1k to 4.5k per treatment. I’ll admit that I’m not sure how that breaks down per mg, but I’m sure it’s much higher than HCQ.

ryerockarola

Nov 20, 2011
Again, all that the media reports is upsetting things. Remember that 99% of the population is good and caring, but the thing they do don’t get everyone riled up to watch their station or click their links.
I generally agree though 99% may be a touch high, maybe 97.5%? I just saw that article and posted it.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The paper is here: Early Outpatient Treatment of Symptomatic, High-Risk Covid-19 Patients that Should be Ramped-Up Immediately as Key to the Pandemic Crisis - if anyone wants to download the PDF and read the whole thing.

And I've heard this too about hydroxychloroquine+azithromycin+zinc - that it looks like it may be beneficial as a prophylactic in people who are sick but don't yet need hospitalization. However, it looks like it's not beneficial (and actually harmful) to people who are experiencing more severe disease.

The overall risk of HCQ is quite low - it's been used for ages. The author argues that the risk of heart issues is massively outweighed by the available evidence that HCQ helps keep people out of the hospital.

It's definitely worth looking into further...it seems like something is there.
This isn't a study, but a rehashing of the small and basically anecdotal reports about the use of hydroxychloroquine and other meds. There isn't any new evidence of efficacy or safety, and the paper basically concludes with "what have you got to lose"?

It is perhaps notable that the single author of this paper has in the past done consulting work for two manufacturers of hydroxychloroquine, azithromycin and doxycycline.

I doubt that serious epidemiologists and clinical scientists will see anything here that they haven't already considered in relation to the use of HCQ.

Other research studies are likely to emerge that will give a clearer picture as to whether HCQ alone or in combination has a therapeutic benefit in the management of Covid-19 disease.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Big pharma companies are against HCQ because the drug is too cheap. Currently the cost is about $37 for 100 2mg pills. Other promising meds like remdesiver have open ended pricing at this point..... anywhere from 1k to 4.5k per treatment. I’ll admit that I’m not sure how that breaks down per mg, but I’m sure it’s much higher than HCQ.
Who cares about "big pharma"? Public health and clinical scientists will identify and recommend whatever is shown to be effective. They won't and shouldn't recommend treatments that are ineffective or dangerous.

By the way, who do you think makes azithromycin (Zithromax), which has been touted by Trump and others on the HCQ band-wagon?

Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

ryerockarola

Nov 20, 2011
Why aren't the prices just jacked up like has been done before? Or is the public/world watching a little closer now because of covid?

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
Why aren't the prices just jacked up like has been done before? Or is the public/world watching a little closer now because of covid?
Can’t jack up the price for HCQ when millions of people rely on it for malaria, lupus and arthritis. Big pharma will only promote new drugs that can make them big bucks.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
So, now Trump has decided to officially terminate the US relationship with and support for the World Health Organization, in the midst of a terrible pandemic. The WHO has flaws like any international organization, but it serves a vital function in support of public health for many of the poorest countries.

The ignorance and malice displayed by this petty political move is hard to overstate. Just atrocious.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Can’t jack up the price for HCQ when millions of people rely on it for malaria, lupus and arthritis. Big pharma will only promote new drugs that can make them big bucks.
The fact they can't jack up the price of a drug that millions rely on will be good news for diabetics in the US. Humalog is now over $300 btw (this chart is from 1996). In Canada a vial costs about $35.

QYHOLCDZXY4DPJCMY442ZSXNKQ.jpg

Reactions: EpicGingy

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
The fact they can't jack up the price of a drug that millions rely on will be good news for diabetics in the US. Humalog is now over $300 btw (this chart is from 1996). In Canada a vial costs about $35.

QYHOLCDZXY4DPJCMY442ZSXNKQ.jpg
How about the antidote narcan (naloxone) which had been around for years, until the opioid crisis. Now we are paying
through the nose for it (bad choice of words...)
naloxone.png
)

Reactions: Gm0ney

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Several times in this Coronavirus discussion, when Sweden is brought up, people argue, basically, "well their economy took a huge hit an away, so saying lockdowns destroy the economy isn't an argument; they'd be destroyed anyway" and yet this article seems to suggest that Sweden's economy hasn't been that hard hit:

Sweden's economy actually grew in the first quarter after it opted against a full virus lockdown

From the article...

“While Sweden’s economy has fared better than the worst-affected countries, as a result of its comparatively light-touch lockdown, it is still set for a year to forget,” David Oxley, senior Europe economist at Capital Economics, said in a research note published Thursday.

“We expect the decline in GDP this year as a whole to be in a similar ballpark to that in Germany,” he added.

Also, Sweden is forecasting a pretty bleak economy.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nation...-capita-deaths-rise-despite-soft-lockdown/amp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad