Cornwall native Newell Brown hired as assistant Coach with Phoenix Coyotes

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The interview is up on the Coyotes site.

I missed the link to the organization - he was on Dave King's staff in Columbus! I KNEW it was something. Haha.

It's pretty obvious he's here to fix the PP. That's his job number one and nobody is hiding it.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Well, we've got nowhere to go but up on the PP

If we can get rid of the "drop pass" entry I'd be ecstatic, everyone knows it's coming and they just sit at the blue line and break it up every time.

Last season i wanted the team to bring it up and just dump in a floater on goal, at least they'd get the opportunity to start out in the zone with a face-off win. Much better odds at that than trying that POS :rant: drop frickin pass

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Just did some reading and watched Brown's QA. Looks like he certainly belongs to a certain school of PP thought, but he doesn't seem too orthodox to that approach and will make every effort to develop something effective with our current personnel - suiting the system to our strengths instead of forcing square pegs into round holes.

Amazing how we go from scared ******* about relocation to locking up some of our younger talent for the long term w/ favorable deals, getting an effing 1C, and now getting a guy who looks like the right person to overhaul our long-suffering PP. If Maloney can make one last move (or two) for some additional Top 6 firepower, I really like our chances in making a deep playoff run, general consensus be damned (again).

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
Canucks fan dropping in.

I think Newell Brown is one of the better minds in the league when it comes to orchestrating a PP. Brought some tactical innovations that really boosted our power play early on. However, teams eventually began keying in on our power play. That combined with losing key personnel to FA or injury (Ehrhoff, Salo, Kesler) led to our PP's effectiveness plummeting last year when our coaching staff was unable to adjust. When our coaching staff was canned at the end of the season, reports came out suggesting that Brown had some new ideas for the PP but AV vetoed them and opted to stay the course with the one that wasn't working so we never got to see his adjustments.

Overall, I think he'll have success with your team. You guys have some great defensemen who can provide offense and a puck distributor in Ribeiro, both of which Brown worked well with in Vancouver.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
I guess I'll give away my advanced age on this board one more time to say that he was the captain of the Michigan State Spartans when I was a student there. Great college player, but as we well know, that doesn't translate into an NHL playing career.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
That's his job number one and nobody is hiding it.

The deck seems stacked in his favor. Hard to go anywhere but up, especially with the growth of young players, a full camp, and the addition of Ribeiro.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
I didn't even know there was a Cornwall in Ontario.

All I could think of was the county in southwest England, which made me even more confused.

Dale Hawerchuk played his junior there - back when Cornwall had a junior franchise.
Edit: Actually DH and Brown played on the same team in the 79-80 season.

Last edited:

keslerburrows

Mar 9, 2011
Vernon, Canada
Hope your PP likes drop passes :laugh:

Brown is a quality guy and a great coach. His time was just up in Vancouver. Message wasn't getting across anymore I guess, or maybe he just had trouble adjusting once teams figured us out. Anyways, he was great for the first year and a half or so. And I mean GREAT. Good hiring for you guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad