Cornell Players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kojuk

Feb 18, 2004
Just wondering about these Cornell players:

1. Ryan Vesce, C, Senior (FA): He will be a free agent at the end of this year. Are there any chances of him getting signed by an NHL Team or will he be able to get a stint in the AHL.

2. Matt Moulson, LW/C, Sophmore (PIT): Had a breakout year with Cornell, leading them in scoring. Was he a steal for Pittsburgh (9th round draft pick)? Will Pittsburgh sign him after this year or wait till after he finishes college? There was a feature on him on NHL.com not too long ago. Is he a highly underrated prospect? What does he have to improve?

3. Shane Hynes, RW, Sophmore (ANA): Supposedly, scouts are always at the game watching him, and many think I can develop into a solid NHL player. However, watching him throughout the season, he was very inconsistent and didn't seem to play hard all the time. What is the general consensus on him? I know he's drafted by Anahiem. Will he get signed soon?

4. Mike Knoepfli, C/RW, Junior (TOR): I understand that Knoepfli has been a bit of a disappointment, however, I really turned it up the last few games of the regular season and the playoffs. He will likely be the captain for the Big Red next year. Any chances that he will ever get signed by the Toronto Maple Leafs when he finishes at Cornell. He is one of my favourite players at Cornell and plays with great emotion and intensity.

5. Mitch Carefoot, C/W, Freshman (Undrafted): Carefoot was ranked 115th on NHL Central Scouting. Is his stock rising at all? He played great towards the end of the season? Where is he projected to get drafted?

6. Byron Bitz, C/W, Freshman (BOS): He is huge and a great skater. How are his chances of making it to the NHL, does Boston like him? Will he sign with them during is years at Cornell? He played amazing the first part of the season, but tailed off at the end until he played on a line with Knoepfli and Iggulden. Do you think I can become a good NCAA player? Does he have potential?

7. Ryan O'Byrne, D, Freshman (MON): Once again, huge player. Played horrible the beginning of the year. He was very undisciplined, turned over the puck a lot. However, towards the end of the year, I was impressed with his defensive play and self-control. How is Montreal looking at him? Will they sign him during his college years? What is his potential with Cornell and Montreal?

8. Mark McCutheon, C, Freshman (COL): Disappointment. Out of Colorado's 3 picks last year, he was supposed to be the best. What happened to him? Is he a bust or just finding it tough adjusting to the college atmosphere?

9. Dan Glover, D, Freshman (NJD): Injured most of the year. Potential?

10. Mark McRae, D, Alumni (ATL): He plays for the Florence Pride of the ECHL and is impressing. Was in the all-star game. He is third on the team in scoring. Will he make it in the NHL? How many years? I know that he has a fall back - Academic All American - Biology Major, Rhodes Scholar nominee, very impressive.

11. Sam Paolini, C/W, Alumni (FA): He plays for the Rochester Americans of the AHL. He was playing for the Atlantic City Broadwalk Bullies of the ECHL. I guess he played so well he was signed on a PTO with the Amerks. Will he ever get signed by an NHL team. Any information on him?

12. Stephen Baby, C/W, Alumni (ATL): He plays for the Chicago Wolves of the AHL. Was a great college hockey players. How is he shaping up? Will he ever play in the NHL?

13. Raymond Sawada, C/W, Incoming Freshman (Undrafted): Potential? Draft Position? Scouting Report?

14. David McKee, G, Freshman (Undrafted): Will he ever get signed by an NHL team. He had an amazing year as a freshman - except for the playoffs. Will he ever end up like Yann Danis, getting signed by an NHL club right out of college?

15. David LeNeveu, G, Alumni (PHX): Playing for the Springfield Falcons of the AHL. Will he stay with Phoenix? Is he a future #1 goaltender?

16. Doug Murray, D, Alumni (SJ): Playing for the Cleveland Barons of the AHL. Potential? NHL Player?

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Kojuk said:
Just wondering about these Cornell players:

1. Ryan Vesce, C, Senior (FA): He will be a free agent at the end of this year. Are there any chances of him getting signed by an NHL Team or will he be able to get a stint in the AHL.
Yes, but he'll likely start in the AHL. If nothing else, he'll need time to adjust to the pro game and the rigors of a longer schedule.

2. Matt Moulson, LW/C, Sophmore (PIT): Had a breakout year with Cornell, leading them in scoring. Was he a steal for Pittsburgh (9th round draft pick)? Will Pittsburgh sign him after this year or wait till after he finishes college? There was a feature on him on NHL.com not too long ago. Is he a highly underrated prospect? What does he have to improve?

IMO, he is vastly underrated. I'd like to see him improve the defensive side of his game and show a bit more discipline. He's got grittiness to his game and sometimes it tends to get the best of him. His defensive game is good, but it could be better, especially if he's ever gonna be NHL bound.

3. Shane Hynes, RW, Sophmore (ANA): Supposedly, scouts are always at the game watching him, and many think I can develop into a solid NHL player. However, watching him throughout the season, he was very inconsistent and didn't seem to play hard all the time. What is the general consensus on him? I know he's drafted by Anahiem. Will he get signed soon?

Hynes is still very much a project, so I seriously doubt that Anaheim will sign him anytime soon. If he stays in school, he can continue his development and not take up space on the Ducks roster, whether in Anaheim or Cincy that should be otherwise be taken by a player who is more ready than he is to step in. He's got size, strength and is a defensive defenseman. The area I like to see him improve his is puck handling ability and for him to shoot the puck more.

4. Mike Knoepfli, C/RW, Junior (TOR): I understand that Knoepfli has been a bit of a disappointment, however, I really turned it up the last few games of the regular season and the playoffs. He will likely be the captain for the Big Red next year. Any chances that he will ever get signed by the Toronto Maple Leafs when he finishes at Cornell. He is one of my favourite players at Cornell and plays with great emotion and intensity.

Disappointing? You must've seen different Cornell games than I have this season. I don't think he's had the offensive consistency that Moulson has had but he's been terrific this season, especially in some clutch situations. He got off to a slow start but really came around as the season progressed. He was phenomenal during the Everblades Classic back in December.

5. Mitch Carefoot, C/W, Freshman (Undrafted): Carefoot was ranked 115th on NHL Central Scouting. Is his stock rising at all? He played great towards the end of the season? Where is he projected to get drafted?

My guess is 5th Round or later. There are many other players who are much better than he is right now. His best asset is his speed. This kid possesses some good wheels.

6. Byron Bitz, C/W, Freshman (BOS): He is huge and a great skater. How are his chances of making it to the NHL, does Boston like him? Will he sign with them during is years at Cornell? He played amazing the first part of the season, but tailed off at the end until he played on a line with Knoepfli and Iggulden. Do you think I can become a good NCAA player? Does he have potential?

He played most of the year with Moulson and Vesce and the trio were awesome. I doubt that Boston will sign him anytime soon. He's still developing and both he and the Bruins would be better served if he stayed in school. He can become an excellent player if uses his brain more than his head. He tends to let opposing teams get under skin and he needs to channel that energy in a more positive and helpful way that would benefit his team.

7. Ryan O'Byrne, D, Freshman (MON): Once again, huge player. Played horrible the beginning of the year. He was very undisciplined, turned over the puck a lot. However, towards the end of the year, I was impressed with his defensive play and self-control. How is Montreal looking at him? Will they sign him during his college years? What is his potential with Cornell and Montreal?

I'll let Montreal (the poster) answer this one.

8. Mark McCutheon, C, Freshman (COL): Disappointment. Out of Colorado's 3 picks last year, he was supposed to be the best. What happened to him? Is he a bust or just finding it tough adjusting to the college atmosphere?

Agreed with the disappointment part. He seems to look lost out there in the games I've seen him in. Maybe he's still trying to find his "niche" on the team, who knows.

9. Dan Glover, D, Freshman (NJD): Injured most of the year. Potential?

Glover does have potential. The fact that he's been injured for a good portion of the season made it difficult to assess his talent. Glover is a good defensive defenseman. He's a fairly good skater who possesses size and pretty good in his own zone. He could use some bulking up though. He looks a bit thin for a guy whose 6'3"/200.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
O'Byrne picked up his play as the season went on. He plays a good physical game, as he hits and hits often, but he's still raw in his own end, and although Cornell plays the left wing lock, which as a RD gives him chances to pinch in a lot, he couldn't find his game offensively. He had some nice shots on net the games I've seen, but I can't see him being signed this summer, not a chance, imo. He needs a few more years to round out his game. He's got impressive size, skating, and physical play, but a few years at Cornell would be the way I would guess Habs management will take, but we'll see what he does next year. Komisarek was so impressive in his sophmore year, he was ready to move up, I don't see O'Byrne having close to the skill Komisarek has, but sort of in the same mold as they are both big, good skating, physical RD's)

Moulson I like a lot and as a sophmore I was impressed with him every game. (of course getting a hat trick in one of those games tends to impresse me every time) I hope the Pens leave him be for at least one more year. The guy still can learn a lot under the coaching staff at Cornell who are very good, imo. The Cornell/Yale game that was at the end of last season was one of the best defensively coached teams I've ever seen. They compeletely controlled the puck all game, and were very positional sound. The talent level wasn't as good as from the year before, but I think that the coaching staff will field another strong defensively sound team again next year.

Vesce I hope some team gives him a shot, but his size has to be a concern. Still I wouldn't mind seeing the Habs give him a shot. He's got the skills

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
The Ducks are definitely excited about Hynes' size and power forward potential, but as mentioned, will take it slow with him. He still has another few years of college and will probably finish that off before he gets a contract from the Ducks. Power forward types take a bit longer to put thier complete game together.
Although the Ducks would love to have his big body around now, they won't rush him.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Craig Patrick tends to leave the prospects in school, so I'd imagine Moulson still has a year or two in Cornell.

OFSY34

Dec 1, 2003
Visit site
O'Byrne narrowly escaped an assault charge after getting in over his head at a party this past summer(lucky charges were dropped as that would have made him ineligible to play in the states). I think his enormous body developed much faster than his brain, as he is very immature in that dept. He went from being a no-name Junior A player, to being drafted in the third round which I think went to his head a little. However, he is a good kid from a good family and I think he'll work hard at Cornell and develope to his full potential.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
OFSY34 said:
O'Byrne narrowly escaped an assault charge after getting in over his head at a party this past summer(lucky charges were dropped as that would have made him ineligible to play in the states). I think his enormous body developed much faster than his brain, as he is very immature in that dept. He went from being a no-name Junior A player, to being drafted in the third round which I think went to his head a little. However, he is a good kid from a good family and I think he'll work hard at Cornell and develope to his full potential.

I've spoken with him and his coaches, and he seems like a very level headed guy and didn't show any signs of being imature. The coaches had nothing but good things to say about him as well. Not saying he is or isnt imature, but not from the one phone call I had with him. He is a big boy though.

calgARI 04

Nov 2, 2003
Visit site
Detailed Analysis on Cornell Hockey

I am a student at Cornell and attended every single game this year. I am also from Ithaca, so I have been going to Cornell games my whole life. You can read my wednesday columns on Cornell hockey at:

http://www.curedline.com/?editorials

Tomorrow's column will be grades on all of the players.

Vesce - Will be a good pro player. He is not big enough nor fast enough to play in the NHL. Heart and soul player. He was Cornell's first line center for four years. Maybe the best faceoff man in the NCAA the past two years. He took over 75% of Cornell's faceoffs. He had a 7 point game earlier in the year which is something I have rarely heard of in the last several years at any level. Great guy for the half boards on the powerplay. He got injured in Feburary and missed a couple games. He came back be re-aggrevated his groin in Game 1 of the ECAC quarterfinals and team was not the same afterwards. I expect him to be a solid second liner in the AHL. He will get a couple of contract offers. He was in my English class in the fall semester and I got the impression in talking to him about it that he is expecting some offers.

Moulson - Overrated. He has a great shot and good offensive instincts. His skating is below average. He was maybe Cornell's only consistent scorer during the season. But just like last season, he totally disappeared in the playoffs. He doesn't like to get hit and if you play physical with him, he is a non-factor hence his non-effectiveness in the playoffs when it is much more physical game. He has played on the first line his first two years. The big question will be how he does next year without Vesce. Is he a coat tail player? I don't think he is, but he is not the guy you would want in Game 7 of the cup. He is a goal scorer (nothing more, nothing less) and they are hard to come by so maybe he could find his way to the NHL. More likely, I see him being a big scorer in the AHL down the road in the Christian Matte ilk.

Shane Hynes - Perhaps my favorite Cornell player. I think he has more long term potential than any player I've seen at Cornell in quite some time. Coach Mike Schafer described him during the year as the best player he has ever seen at this level at tracking down loose pucks. Hynes battled injuries this year and was extremely inconsistent as a result. He has the potential to become one of the top offensive players in the NCAA. He wins almost all his battles in the corners and is also pretty good off the rush. He has all the tools. It's just a question of staying healthy and putting everything together. I expect he will and think he will make it to the NHL as a 30-40 point 3rd liner maybe a bit like Shayne Corson.

Mike Knoepfli - A tough guy to analyze. Is he a scoring forward or a checking forward? More likely the latter. He does not score much but really came alive during the playoffs netting a hat trick in game 1 of the ECAC quarterfinals. He has above average offensive ability but he did not show it most of the season. Granted, he does play a more checking style role. He will likely be the team's captain next year. I don't see him getting signed by the Leafs after he graduates. I expect him to make it as a solid pro. He has a pro-style game in that he skates pretty well, is very responsible defensively, and has a pretty solid frame. He seems to be suited as an ideal 4th liner in the NHL, but the safe money is him being a solid 3rd liner in the AHL. Good penalty killer. Look for him to break out offensively next year.

Mitch Carefoot - One of Cornell's most improved players this year. I imagine he will go 5th-7th round in the draft. He isn't the kind of player that sweeps you off your feet. He doesn't have any real strengths, but no significant weaknesses either. He scored some clutch goals down the stretch just by driving to the net and hacking away at goalies until the whistle blew. He will grow into a front of the net agitator on the powerplay. His skating is not up to par with the AHL or NHL but has three more years at Cornell and expect him to improve a great deal as he did during this season. He killed penalties regularly as a freshman.

Byron Bitz - Will he make it to the NHL? Probably. He is 6'5 and filling out. He showed great promise early in the season scoring a bunch on the first line. He didn't score a goal after November though. He really struggled offensively in the second half. Coach Schafer moved him to center when Vesce went down (horrible decision IMO) which really stalled his development. Bitz is a great guy on the boards and the corners. His skating is decent for a big man. Offensively, he is still a question mark. He put up huge numbers and junior and had the great start, but again, he was a non factor offensively down the stretch. I think he will find his offensively groove next year if he is in his natural wing position. On a line with Mike Iggulden and Mike Knoepfli, the three really played great down the stretch until Vesce got hurt and Bitz was moved off the line to center the first line (between Moulson and Hynes) and effectively disappeared again.

Ryan O'Byrne - Enigmatic as many freshmen blueliners are. He has great size and good skating. His decision making is awful but improved a little bit as the season progressed. He has offensive ability that Schafer does not seem to acknowledge. He will make it to the NHL as he is huge and skates pretty well. I expect he will improve a great deal and become one of the top defensive defenseman in college hockey.

Mark McCutcheon - Very disappointing freshman season after a lot of promise coming out of juniors. He played exlusively on the fourth line all season but also played on the second powerplay at times. He clearly has great hands and offensive instincts but his skating is dreadful. He has an awkward straight legged stride so I'm not sure how much better his skating can get. I expect him to arrive much more confident next year and be more of a factor. His biggest downside is his slender frame. He has decent height, but no weight and gets bounced around a lot. Suppossedly, he is having trouble adding and keeping weight.

Dan Glover - I like this kid a lot. He fought injuries late in the season, but besides that, he was one of Cornell's underrated players. He has tremendous poise for a freshman defenseman. He seems like a perfect fit for the Devils. He is not flashy, but he makes great decisions and is ROCK solid. He grew a lot this year and gained some weight. I think he will make it to the NHL. He is very comparable to David Hale (UND), who is a rookie with the Devils this year.

David McKee - Up and down freshmen year. He was brutal in the beginning and brutal in the playoffs. He was outstanding the rest of the season. In Cornell's unconditional strong defensive scheme, he will put up outstanding numbers every year he is at Cornell. He will definitely get signed after he graduates. I believe he is just a good as the very overrated David LeNeveu who also dropped the ball in the playoffs when he was at Cornell. A bucket would have done as well between the pipes for Cornell's extremely talented team last year.

I will write more later, but I'm tired of typing. Read my column that comes out on Wednesday with grades and analyses of all the players.

a89mogilny89

Kojuk said:
16. Doug Murray, D, Alumni (SJ): Playing for the Cleveland Barons of the AHL. Potential? NHL Player?

Oh, this guy is literally Jesus Christ himself. He hits everything. Not to mention, a good shot on the powerplay too, especially on the point. NHL calibre? Yes. Give him two years or so, I can see him in a San Jose uniform. He's just that good.

calgARI 04

Nov 2, 2003
Visit site
a89mogilny89 said:
Oh, this guy is literally Jesus Christ himself. He hits everything. Not to mention, a good shot on the powerplay too, especially on the point. NHL calibre? Yes. Give him two years or so, I can see him in a San Jose uniform. He's just that good.

No question that Murray has NHL potential. Very physical and very skilled blueliner. HUGE SHOT. Two time All American for Cornell. It's only a matter of time before he gets to the NHL. He just needs to work on his quickness and overall skating. As Mogilny89 said, two years or so in the minors. He will be a top 3 defenseman.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
How overrated can a 9th round pick that nobody's ever heard of be?

calgARI 04

Nov 2, 2003
Visit site
Jacobv2 said:

He is overrated by Cornell fans and college hockey fans based on his numbers. Obviously he cannot be rated by NHL and prospect followers based on the fact that, as you said, was a ninth round pick that nobody has ever heard of.

Los Tiburones

Jun 11, 2002
Visit site
Jacobv2 said:

Fair enough, but, there are a lot of real late picks floating around in the NHL right now. I believe one of those guys won the Calder for the Sharks not too long ago. Dude is large and in charge. Sharks are going to give him all the room in the world to develop his game in Cleveland. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he does quite well in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad