Corey Perry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Well from all accounts, including what I saw in the final OUA All Stars Game, Perry just didnt play very well.

It's a tough camp and if you want to make the team, you've got to play to the best of your capabilities.

Corey Perry is a difficult player to gauge at the moment. He's got a very high skill level and he's a very creative offensive player, but his biggest problem is strength. While it did improve from last season, he's still got a long ways to go before he'll be able to crack the Pro ranks, as evidenced by his struggles at the camp.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Twisted Wrister said:
Sorry if this has already been gone over, but I was wondering why he was cut from Canada's WJC team? I'm considering making the drive Saturday to see the Knights play the Whalers and was just curious to get some opinions.

The coach said that Perry did every thing that was asked of him and showed he can score(As he did in 3 of the 4 EX games), but mentioned Perry never really developed chemistry with any of his linemates and when they started drawing up line combos Perry was the odd man out. (Article)

But the real reason was probably because of his lack of speed, plain and simple.

Last edited:

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Twisted Wrister said:
Sorry if this has already been gone over, but I was wondering why he was cut from Canada's WJC team? I'm considering making the drive Saturday to see the Knights play the Whalers and was just curious to get some opinions.

From what I've heard, he's a little slow, and very soft on the puck. The system Team Cananda will use will be rely heavily on a good forecheck, which really dosen't catter to Perry's game. A player like Perry dosen't really fit in well in this system due to his lack of speed and softness on the puck.

Also, Canada seems to pick players based on need rather than talent, so Perry's only chance was to be on one of the top 2 lines. He didn't have nearly as good a camp as those other players who evidently made the team and should play on the top 2 lines. Perry was not going to make this team as 4th line forward judging by how they picked the team.

Randall Graves*

Perry IMO for the ducks is a 5 year project he has very good powerforward potential and the Anaheim scouts are very happy he wasn't dealt.

He's not a great skater but he has great hands if he puts on 20 pounds from now up until he makes the NHL he will be the power forward this franchise has desperately needed for years. He has a high talent level but he needs to get bigger weight wise.

with that said i'm not to disappointed in him not making the team because the ducks have two other guys in Getzlaf and Brent who seem to be impressing people.

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
If there are any Ducks fans reading this, The London Knights (as of the start of last year) have had a guy in London as their conditioning coach. (His named escapes me because it is Greek and Long :))

Perry's (and other Knights) strength has improved markedly since two seasons ago, when I had no idea why Perry was being touted as a first rounder.

As a side note, Jeff Carter (A London Native, although he playes for the Sault) uses the same conditioning coach when he is home for the summer.

gohabsgo2010

Feb 28, 2003
sign Patrick Poulin
Douggy, I think his name is Angelo _______? Can't remember his last name.

I see Cory play alot around here, and as has been said, he's talented enough to make an impact in the NHL, and he has made some HUGE plays and scored some beautiful goals for the Knights, but he always seems, to me, to be lacking a certain something.

I still hope for him to have a promising career, but I'm not all that sold on him. A few days after his release, I look at the roster and can't help but think that Dawes, Brent, Tambellini, and Burns will all be better options for Team Canada.

TJF

Feb 27, 2002
London, ON
Visit site
sec17 said:
The conditioning coach is named Spiro Mazantzakis.

Yup, that's him, he takes care of all the Knights now as well as some London area guys who play in the NHL. Joe Thornton works out with him during the summer.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
Douggy said:
Perry's (and other Knights) strength has improved markedly since two seasons ago, when I had no idea why Perry was being touted as a first rounder.

I agree, He definitely has proven he was worthy of the 1st round pick since the selection. but it seems that in the Junior Camp, his increase in strength disappeared, from all reports, a lot of his softness returned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->