Player Discussion Corey Perry

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
We should definitely sign him... Most probably a raise but we need to keep it reasonable as the cap is tight.

He was a Habs fan growing up and he made 86 millions over a career that spanned the biggest bull market in history. My guess is that unless he was really stupid, he is worth well over 125 millions and that Corey Perry the business makes much more money than Corey Perry the player at this point.

I doubt he leaves a good situation over 250k but who knows.

I think his definition of a good situation is a place where he has his best shot at a cup.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
MB fluked out again with a hot Toffoli and Perry, had those guys not be scoring, Habs would be in more of a mess. They are just saving his bacon for the time being.

Don't think it was a fluke this time around. Normally he wouldn't have signed Toffoli/Perry because he wants to leave a bunch of capspace.

On a team full of fast skaters taking 30 foot wrist shots Perry is an example of what we need more of. I've said it since he got on the team.

The man has so much poise and skill. I'm embarrassed that I thought he was somehow carried by Getzlaf and not that good.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Don't think it was a fluke this time around. Normally he wouldn't have signed Toffoli/Perry because he wants to leave a bunch of capspace.

The man has so much poise and skill. I'm embarrassed that I thought he was somehow carried by Getzlaf and not that good.

Were they not last second decisions to acquire them due to the new circumstances? Maybe MB did know something,shuts downs ,curfews and all and can't go out,more time to dedicate to staying in shape? I would never have expected the scoring that they have achieved to this point,sustainable? we'll see,but if MB was expecting those 2 to carry the team, well what more can you say that hasn't been said yet.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I don't think Perry is coming back.

Good on Bergevin for scraping up a forgotten peice, but I'm convinced some teams closer to cup contention will come knocking for his services this time around, barring a major injury.

I think Perry will go to the best contender that he gets an offer from.

It will depend on the situation next summer. Last "summer" was a once in a lifetime situation (hopefully). Players and GMs were not even sure there was going to be a season. Nobody knew if the border would be open. I feel like lot of players went with security over money. Some Canadians might have ruled out American teams because they wanted to be able to stay close to their family in case there was no season. Some Americans might have done the opposite. Some teams maybe did not want to commit too much money in case there was no season. When things will go back to normal again i expect it will be hard again to sign vets if you're not a contender or overpaying. But if things are still as they are right now Perry might very well decide to go for stability and security and sign again for a small raise before the UFA market opens.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
It will depend on the situation next summer. Last "summer" was a once in a lifetime situation (hopefully). Players and GMs were not even sure there was going to be a season. Nobody knew if the border would be open. I feel like lot of players went with security over money. Some Canadians might have ruled out American teams because they wanted to be able to stay close to their family in case there was no season. Some Americans might have done the opposite. Some teams maybe did not want to commit too much money in case there was no season. When things will go back to normal again i expect it will be hard again to sign vets if you're not a contender or overpaying. But if things are still as they are right now Perry might very well decide to go for stability and security and sign again for a small raise before the UFA market opens.

I'm guessing Perry has made a fortune over his career. He was a superstar. Unless he was reckless with his money, I don't think he has to worry about security too much.

It's all about getting another ring, and where he gets the best opportunity for that.

Reactions: angusyoung

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I'm guessing Perry has made a fortune over his career. He was a superstar. Unless he was reckless with his money, I don't think he has to worry about security too much.

It's all about getting another ring, and where he gets the best opportunity for that.
He’s still getting $6M per year for next few years from Ducks buyout

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

By security i mean having a contract. Last year there was a chance the season would be cancelled so i guess some players did not want to extend too much and wanted to sign asap. I don't think he signed here to get another ring anyway if he did then never give him an chance as a assistant gm. We improved the team but we are still far from a cup as it is. Anyway the point is last UFA period was special and will likely never happen again in a normal season. You rarely see player who played as well as Perry in the playoffs sign for 750 for a year.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
By security i mean having a contract. Last year there was a chance the season would be cancelled so i guess some players did not want to extend too much and wanted to sign asap. I don't think he signed here to get another ring anyway if he did then never give him an chance as a assistant gm. We improved the team but we are still far from a cup as it is. Anyway the point is last UFA period was special and will likely never happen again in a normal season. You rarely see player who played as well as Perry in the playoffs sign for 750 for a year.

I think he signed where he thought he had the best chance this year too. He was a relatively late signing, and the habs didn't even hand him anything on a silver platter.

He should have more suitors this time around, even if the market is just as fickle as this year. I think he's almost doubled his goal production from last year already.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
All the small things Perry does that go unnoticed - its been years since we had a guy like that.

Also, Perry probably sees that the Habs are willing to give him more ice time than most other teams would, and should be happy and grateful for that - seems like a team first guy too. I think he stays if asked to.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Thought I would bump this for seeing what a skilled player looks like. Much as I hated perry all the way back to the Knights. It goes to show how important skill is, even better with longevity.

Habs have been bad for so long that we are blown away by an elderly Scorey Perry :wally:I will give MB credit for getting him(but it only offsets the staal debacle. )

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I hope the org. drafts fwds based on Perry's compete level and ability with the puck from now on.

If it's anything remotely close to him, draft it.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I'd keep him an extra year. He does it all, not at same level but he's got skill and has the grit. He competes and adds to any line. If it's grinders or skilled forwards he has the hockey IQ to compliment them.

He's also the only guy that doesn't appear dead tired right now and he's 99% of the time ready to start a game.

He learned to deal with the grind of the NHL, that's veteran off-ice experience this team is seriously lacking.

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
Didnt read this thread. Perry's been good, and I am sure this has been said but man it is sad state of affairs when a declined player comes in b2b years and is one of the more talented players on the team. Just the little things they do is what habs fans have been deprived of for so long. I havent seen a habs player as good as Perry around the net in how long.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Didnt read this thread. Perry's been good, and I am sure this has been said but man it is sad state of affairs when a declined player comes in b2b years and is one of the more talented players on the team. Just the little things they do is what habs fans have been deprived of for so long. I havent seen a habs player as good as Perry around the net in how long.

He is one of the best ever at what he does ...

But yes, we need a management team that puts more emphasis on acquiring and retaining talent.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Aside from talent, Perry is also a very smart player. He sees the ice very well, and there's just little things he does all over the ice whether its with the puck or the little things he does in board battles that really stand out to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->