Corey Perry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dupree13

Aug 2, 2005
Pittsburgh
First off, I'll confess that I don't know much about Canadien Jrs and don't follow it closely. But as I was browsing through some hockey stats, I noticed his gaudy stats last year for London, who I recall beat out Rimouski for the Memorial Cup, then I learned he was a first round pick of the Ducks on '03. So, if any OHL fans could help me out, what's the story on this guy? What is his potential? Thanks in advance, much appreciated.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
he is very talented. An awkward skater and not very well balanced, but has recently buffed up and is getting stronger. Elite hands, shot, and passing skills. Willing to get dirty and play hurt. Often gets caught with his head down. He is tall and lanky. Deceptively fast. Likes making defenseman look like fools. Id say 1st/2nd line forward. Potential of 80 pts for sure.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
As a London fan - I got to see Perry a lot first hand the last couple years. The previous poster is pretty accurate with his assessment IMO. Great vision & passing, good shot. Question marks mostly around his size and speed - although he's not afraid to get dirty.

I understand him and Getzlaf (especially Getzlaf) are tearing it up in the Anaheim rookie tryouts. I expect Corey to have a year (perhaps two) in the AHL to work on speed and strength and he should be ready for some NHL duty. Wouldn't be overly surprised though if he stayed this year.

Tom

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
thomasincanada said:
I understand him and Getzlaf (especially Getzlaf) are tearing it up in the Anaheim rookie tryouts.

Getzlaf and Perry are definetly dominating the tournament so far. Even without Smid and Bobby Ryan the Ducks may sweep this tournament.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
McDonald19 said:
Getzlaf and Perry are definetly dominating the tournament so far. Even without Smid and Bobby Ryan the Ducks may sweep this tournament.

For the record, the Sharks would be doing better if they added more AHL players to their roster.

First of all, Perry is pretty underrated. He could definitely be a first line center. However, HF calls him an "8.5" which is way to high. I'd rate him a 8.0B, as his concerns over size seem to be gone.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
pens15 said:
Thanks for the info. So is Corey Perry expected to be a duck this year, or as was said, is he AHL bound?

I think only Anaheim mgmt knows the answer to your question. :dunno: A lot probably depends on his performance over the next while.

Tom

Last edited:

dafranchz

Brian Burke had this to say to Hockey's Future last night...

[font=Arial,Helvetica]HF: With talent in the development program and with players moving up in the ranks, are there any prospects who you feel will get an honest chance to prove themselves at the main camp starting next week? [/font]

[font=Arial,Helvetica]BB: Everyone is going to get a chance. Our blueprint is to have all our top kids spend a year in the AHL. However, I’m willing to erase certain parts of the blueprint. If someone plays well enough to make the big club, they’re going to stay.

Burke Q & A

And yes...Perry and Getzlaf are having a good tournment so far. The first line is as strong as they were last year. I want to say that Getzlaf is leading the tournament in goals scored and overall points. I'll check that tomorrow.
[/font]

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
superroyain10 said:
For the record, the Sharks would be doing better if they added more AHL players to their roster.

First of all, Perry is pretty underrated. He could definitely be a first line center. However, HF calls him an "8.5" which is way to high. I'd rate him a 8.0B, as his concerns over size seem to be gone.

Who are you talking about? That's not a description of Corey Perry at all.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Bobby Ryan Getzlaf said:
Yeah. First line center? I wonder if he's talking about Getzlaf, but then again, he doesn't have size issues. Maybe he combined the two or something.

Perry's never been small either. He just needed to "fill out" a little.

OHLArenaGuide

it's dot com
Dec 4, 2003
London, ON
www.ohlarenaguide.com
No one has yet mentioned his "pest" attitudes either... he was one of the most unpopular OHL players this past year. He had a reputation as a diver and a whiner, some of which was deserved. No one can deny the talent but he's the sort of player you love when he's on your team and hate to play against.

alecfromtherock

Feb 2, 2004
sec17 said:
No one has yet mentioned his "pest" attitudes either... he was one of the most unpopular OHL players this past year. He had a reputation as a diver and a whiner, some of which was deserved. No one can deny the talent but he's the sort of player you love when he's on your team and hate to play against.

Are you saying Perry could be the ‘Mike Ribeiro’ of the Ducks?

The Memorial Cup was the only time that I have seen the player so my view on him is limited to that.

As for the diving comments, unless it is completely obvious(Ala Ribeiro) it goes not garnish my attention what so ever.

Perhaps Crosby distracted myself too much with his ‘fist on the boards I deserve more respect refs!’ antics.

Smooth does not define Perry’s skating ability that is for sure. Phil Kessel, very much so, Perry(along with many others) not so.

But when you can shoot, pass and force your opponents to take thoughtless game-costing plenties(like what’s his name, you know the goon on Rimouski that suckered punched Perry and ended up costing his team whatever slim chance they had at the Memorial Cup) who cares?

Skilled Pest might be the perfect word to describe Perry(S-Pest for short)

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Legionnaire said:
Actually, Ribero may be more fitting than just the "diver" aspects.

I would say a bigger Ribeiro is not a bad description. "Dangles" with the whole body and sometimes tries to beat the extra man instead of making the "safe" play. Looks both awkward and skilled at the same time. His style makes it difficult to tell if he is diving or embellishing or just overextending, but too smart to ever pull a "Ribeiro". Slow, but looks slower because of his height. Incredible puck skills. . Will probably play in AHL until he is ready to play on first or second line, but I think that will be sooner than most expect.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
pens15 said:
Thanks for the info. So is Corey Perry expected to be a duck this year, or as was said, is he AHL bound?

Burke is planning on letting the kids start in the AHL unless they make a strong case to stay in training camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad