Friedman: Corey Perry speculation. Perry to the Flames?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
This is the problem with Freidman, and the problem with people's perception of Freidman.

He's a very good insider, maybe the best currently. But he mixes his rumors with his speculation. And a lot of people can't discern between the two and then try to discredit him for it.
Friedman didn't even suggest Calgary, the idiots on SN960 did. All he said was he could see Perry working out in Calgary

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Brouwer and Bennett for Perry makes sense does it not? The fact that they are divisional rivals is the only thing that makes the idea ludicrous.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
This is the problem with Freidman, and the problem with people's perception of Freidman.

He's a very good insider, maybe the best currently. But he mixes his rumors with his speculation. And a lot of people can't discern between the two and then try to discredit him for it.

Bob McKenzie in my mind will be the top insider until he decides to retire.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Bob McKenzie in my mind will be the top insider until he decides to retire.
He's really not anymore. I would say both Friedman and LeBrun have surpassed McKenzie. I think people stopped trusting him as much when the leagues leaked emails came out and he was all over them.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Why the he'll would the flames even entertain this?

Calgary is the one place I can think of where it would be interesting to see Perry at and where he might be better off at. However, it’s a horrible move for anybody to take him. If that’s Calgary’s big move then, yeah, it’s just the last strike against that management.

To the two quotes above.

It all depends on cost, both to acquire and in terms of cap. But I think it's unlikely the Ducks would accept a low offer and still retain the near 50% it would take to make his cap hit realistic.

Brouwer and Bennett for Perry makes sense does it not? The fact that they are divisional rivals is the only thing that makes the idea ludicrous.
I would do it if Anaheim ate enough to bring his contract to Brouwer's level.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Yes, but why would Anaheim do that? That would make Brouwer--a guy who scored 6 goals this year--an $8 million dollar forward.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
It's a discussion not among the Anaheim staff but radio hosts.
Supposdly there is a lil friction between BM and perry and i assume RC... so i woukdnt be shocked if we are at least kicking tires... i do think its a pretty good fit for calgary

And id take brouwer back and retain a bit on perry it bennet is added, and prob throw a non 1st round pick back to calgary, maybe a 3rd with condition to be a 2nd if bennet scores over 40 points, could exchange for a prospect that maybe doesnt fit our future plans that maybe calgary has interest in

Something like

Rakell Getzlaf Bennet
Kase henrique silfverberg
Cogliano kesler brouwer
Ritchie kossila Eaves

Last edited:

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
No doubt you would, as you are getting rid of a 4th liner in Brouwer and his 4.5m AAV and a 3rd liner in Bennett with a 1.95m AAV and getting a 2nd liner with a 4.3m AAV in return.

There is literally no incentive for Anaheim in such a deal - they not only get far worse, they also end up taking on more cap for some reason. If Perry's contract is a problem come expansion, they'd be much better off buying out Perry of his final year (or 2019 even with paying out the bonus) than taking such a horrible trade.

Reactions: 405Exit

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
Yeah flames need to decide between retention and moving Brouwer. Unlikely to get both.

I think the ducks happily retain with Brodie and Bennett, but not on Brouwer and Bennett.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Yeah flames need to decide between retention and moving Brouwer. Unlikely to get both.

I think the ducks happily retain with Brodie and Bennett, but not on Brouwer and Bennett.

So retain on Perry plus pay 5M for what would be a 3rd pairing D? Zero chance Ducks go for that

(He's not playing in front of Lindholm or Fowler so yes, 3rd pairing D)

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Perry is overpaid but not useless. He's about a 5-5.5 mil player making about 8.5. Brouwer seems overpaid by almost the same amount and not nearly as useful (as the Ducks could probably get close to that much production internally at a significantly lower cost). Perry is still a mid-tier 2nd line caliber player, while Brouwer is more a low 3rd line player. Am I seeing this right, Perry in his worst season since first full year in the league (not counting the lockout) still put up better numbers than Brouwer EVER has? He had nearly triple the goals and over double the points last year and had more points last year than Brouwer had the last 2 seasons combined. Perry at 8.5 mil is a "better" (or at least less bad) of a deal than Brouwer at 4.5. Not saying there is likely to be a deal, but if there is it is either Brouwer with a significant add and no retention on Perry or Perry with retention and no Brouwer coming back for a good piece. Perry at full price with no salary coming back would probably be relatively cheap.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Perry is done. Nobody is trading for him although weirder things have happened, see Scott Gomez.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Perry at 5.5-6M I would probably turn down for free. Giving up anything is just laughable.

In two years I wouldn't be surprised if Brouwer is more useful. Both will be 4th liners.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
So retain on Perry plus pay 5M for what would be a 3rd pairing D? Zero chance Ducks go for that

Do you remember what the ducks top 4 looks like without Lindholm or Fowler in the lineup? One thing I'm certain of is you need depth to succeed in this league. There is a big drop off between those two and anyone else in our organization. It takes just 1 slapshot or hit and our season is effectively over.

Maybe it's an expensive insurance marker, but we did just pay Bieksa 4m and Stoner 3.25 to play in our 3rd pairing. Vatanen was getting paid about the same and was playing there too. Much rather pay Brodie that then let Bob go shopping for a UFA defenseman again.

Brodie is just 27 and his term is only 2 vs 3 years of perry. Who knows what perry looks like 2 years from now...

Compare the hero charts of Brodie vs Fowler. I know Brodie struggled last year but he wouldn't even be available otherwise.

If we move Perry, get Brodie + Bennet, and retain just enough for salaries to equal out, I think it gives more PT to younger/faster forwards and helps us move in the direction of a faster team game. It also gives up depth and a big anchor on 3rd pairing.

Perry would kill it on the Calgary's fast top line. Getzlaf + Perry is just too slow for modern NHL.

Feels like a win win for both teams.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
Perry at 5.5-6M I would probably turn down for free. Giving up anything is just laughable.

In two years I wouldn't be surprised if Brouwer is more useful. Both will be 4th liners.

Perry is done. Nobody is trading for him although weirder things have happened, see Scott Gomez.

Perry doesn't make sense on the ducks because we have too many "slow forwards". I really wish they put him on the 3rd line with Henrique and Kase to spread out the scoring, but no one else could get anything done on the 1st line. He ended with 49 points. That's still almost double what Bennet has. He'd be a huge upgrade on your powerplay. There are very few guys as good as making plays / screening goalies in front of the net.

Perry is not done. He was just under a Point Per Game the last 2 months of the season. He would probably get above 5M+ per year as UFA, maybe 6.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013

Brodie is a better RD than LD so he wouldn't have to play in front of Lindholm or Fowler.

But I don't want to trade Brodie to the Ducks unless something better than Perry is coming back (nevermind throwing in Bennett)

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Maybe it's an expensive insurance marker, but we did just pay Bieksa 4m and Stoner 3.25 to play in our 3rd pairing. Vatanen was getting paid about the same and was playing there too. Much rather pay Brodie that then let Bob go shopping for a UFA defenseman again.

If we move Perry, get Brodie + Bennet, and retain just enough for salaries to equal out, I think it gives more PT to younger/faster forwards and helps us move in the direction of a faster team game. It also gives up depth and a big anchor on 3rd pairing.

That leaves us effectively paying 8.65M for a 3rd pairing D just for "insurance" I don't see BM ever going for that. Sure it'd be nice to have, but ultimately not very realistic

Brodie is a better RD than LD so he wouldn't have to play in front of Lindholm or Fowler.

But I don't want to trade Brodie to the Ducks unless something better than Perry is coming back (nevermind throwing in Bennett)

I don't see him taking Manson or Montour's spot either to be honest. If we add a D we need it to solidify the 3rd pairing, not replace existing top 4.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
I don't see him taking Manson or Montour's spot either to be honest. If we add a D we need it to solidify the 3rd pairing, not replace existing top 4.

Yeah you guys already have a great Top 4 on D. Brodie would certainly solidify a 3rd pairing although he is a bit overkill there. You also to some degree set yourself up well if there were any injuries since Brodie could play either side. I just don't think you guys are the team that would most need or want Brodie.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yes, but why would Anaheim do that? That would make Brouwer--a guy who scored 6 goals this year--an $8 million dollar forward.

No doubt you would, as you are getting rid of a 4th liner in Brouwer and his 4.5m AAV and a 3rd liner in Bennett with a 1.95m AAV and getting a 2nd liner with a 4.3m AAV in return.

There is literally no incentive for Anaheim in such a deal - they not only get far worse, they also end up taking on more cap for some reason. If Perry's contract is a problem come expansion, they'd be much better off buying out Perry of his final year (or 2019 even with paying out the bonus) than taking such a horrible trade.

Where did I suggest Anaheim would/should do it? Just saying I would have no interest in him unless his AAV is in the 4.5 range because he has a year more left on his contract than Brouwer and is declining quickly.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Besides flames fans chiming in. Any other fans of other teams can use Perry?

Flames fans totally giving horrible offers for Perry when they know a 60 pt consistent player with 2+ million retained isn’t worth brouwer and a prospect.

Perry at 5 million is definitely worth value. Interested what other fans have to say.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Besides flames fans chiming in. Any other fans of other teams can use Perry?

Flames fans totally giving horrible offers for Perry when they know a 60 pt consistent player with 2+ million retained isn’t worth brouwer and a prospect.

Perry at 5 million is definitely worth value. Interested what other fans have to say.
Consistent 60 point players don't finish with under 60 points in 3 of the last 4 years. Also his point point production has dropped in terms of per game in 2 of the last 3 years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad