Friedman: Corey Perry speculation. Perry to the Flames?

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Friedman on the Anaheim Ducks situation.

And I wonder about Corey Perry. He’s got a no-move clause. He controls the situation. But I wonder if they would ever consider it. I mean, he might need a fresh start. He doesn’t look great. He was not making great decisions at all in the playoffs. He was taking terrible penalties.

"Perry’s mention sparked the interest of the 960 crew in Calgary, wondering about the possibility of the veteran winger playing alongside Johnny Gaudreau and Sean Monahan.
“I’ve got to tell you, that’s one of the places it could probably work,” said Friedman of the Flames. “It’s a big ticket. It’s ($8.625 million per season) for the next three years.”
The Ducks could potentially retain some of that salary.

Interesting article to say the least.
Friedman eyes potential offseason NHL changes

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me

And I wonder about Corey Perry. He’s got a no-move clause. He controls the situation. But I wonder if they would ever consider it. I mean, he might need a fresh start. He doesn’t look great. He was not making great decisions at all in the playoffs. He was taking terrible penalties.

"Perry’s mention sparked the interest of the 960 crew in Calgary, wondering about the possibility of the veteran winger playing alongside Johnny Gaudreau and Sean Monahan.
“I’ve got to tell you, that’s one of the places it could probably work,” said Friedman of the Flames. “It’s a big ticket. It’s ($8.625 million per season) for the next three years.”

Why does Calgary do this? The GM does realize he's likely out of a job if the team bombs again, right? What does Perry do? He's like 33.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I don't see why Perry would waive to go from Anaheim to Calgary(or just about anywhere) unless the rest of the locker room has also turned on him but I find that to be extremely unlikely.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Owen Doty

Jan 1, 2018
I want no part of Corey Perry on the flames, guy is an absolute dirtbag, even if he was for free. Besides, he is in steady decline, only way it would make sense is if his salary could be retained to about 5M per year purely from a stats standpiont. Doubt he would waive to come to calgary though, there is bad blood between the teams, and doubt he would be wanted in the locker room either. He is one of the few players I would actively boo if he ever became a flame

TheKurgan

Jun 14, 2016
Calgary
Way too much money and term left on Perry's deal even if the Flames sent a salary dump like Brouwer the other way. At 32 Perry is unlikely to get better than the 53 - 49 pts he put up the last 2 seasons. I also doubt he would wave his NMC to leave the beach and come to Calgary.

Remember2004

Oct 20, 2010

“And I wonder about Corey Perry. He’s got a no-move clause. He controls the situation. But I wonder if they would ever consider it. I mean, he might need a fresh start. He doesn’t look great. He was not making great decisions at all in the playoffs. He was taking terrible penalties.

Oh yes. The underlined definitely makes us want him more LOL. If this was 3 years ago Perry I wouldn't hesitate to pony up the pieces needed. He still produced last season but just not at the level thats worth 8.625mil

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Why does Calgary do this? The GM does realize he's likely out of a job if the team bombs again, right? What does Perry do? He's like 33.

Don’t shoot the messenger. Friedman said it not me. I’m just curious of everyone’s opinion on it.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Love the fan 960 guys but they fully admit they are constantly talking out of their asses. Friedman shouldn't be quoting them.

Perry is not even a shadow of what he was a few years ago. Not interested at all.

Reactions: Dan403

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Oh Elliotte's wondering again.
Would have loved Perry 7 years ago.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Perry for Brodie. Some retention on Perry. Seems legit.

Well obviously Perry will have retention before a trade is made. And Perry isn’t worthless he can still put up a good amount of points per season. Everyone here is making it sound like he’s worthless at this point in his career. He still holds value believe it or not. What the price exactly is? It’s up for debate.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Perry never really relied on a speed game to be good and he's still only 33.

I could see a fresh change of scenery doing him some good. But at $8.6M I cant really see any team being willing to take that kind of gamble on him.

Anaheim would almost certainly have to retain a good portion of that contract and even still might not get anyone to bite.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

varano

Jun 27, 2013
I think Anaheim is throwing in something to sweeten the pot if calgary is taking back that grotesque contract.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Don’t shoot the messenger. Friedman said it not me. I’m just curious of everyone’s opinion on it.

Friedman (and Bob/TSN reporters) have talked about getting "radio'd" where they're just shooting the breeze but it gets misconstrued as them reporting news. In particular, Friedman has complained about Chris Nichols (author of the linked article) for presenting articles about Friedman's musings on the radio since people then consume it as news.

Reactions: Dan403

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Perry never really relied on a speed game to be good and he's still only 33.

I could see a fresh change of scenery doing him some good. But at $8.6M I cant really see any team being willing to take that kind of gamble on him.

Anaheim would almost certainly have to retain a good portion of that contract and even still might not get anyone to bite.

Well Friedman said Ducks can do retention on Perry. What would the retention be and what offers could the Ducks get?

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Personally, I would entertain Perry to CGY HOWEVER it would be with the expectation that we aren't giving up any key roster players (i.e. Bennett/Brodie/Hamilton) or a top prospect (which, really, is just Kylington and Valimaki at this point; I suppose Fox too but he isn't under contract).

That said it we're getting an aging forward from a California team I would be targetting Jeff Carter

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Corey Perry doesn't seem like a guy who would want to leave California for Alberta

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Friedman (and Bob/TSN reporters) have talked about getting "radio'd" where they're just shooting the breeze but it gets misconstrued as them reporting news. In particular, Friedman has complained about Chris Nichols (author of the linked article) for presenting articles about Friedman's musings on the radio since people then consume it as news.

I actually enjoy Chris Nichols articles. But good to know about the misconstrued when radio’d for Mackenzie/Friedman. Either way it doesn’t mean what he said doesn’t have merit or is false regarding speculation.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I want Perry to retire a Duck as he's been there for a huge part of his career and I believe he's happy there.

But I think Sam Bennett for Corey Perry would be the trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad