Rumor: Corey Perry and Ottawa Senators Have Mutual Interest

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
The Leafs are capped out with their current team construction. Like with Ottawa, Perry has expressed interest in playing there and if he was willing to sign the minimum I think the Leafs would have signed him if they had any cap room. One idea that interests me if he goes to a rebuilder like Ottawa, even if they gave Perry some sort of no trade protection, Toronto would likely have interest pretty early into the season once enough cap has accrued to fit him in at 50% retained. After a month or two, Perry to the Leafs at 350K for a fair pick/prospect might make sense for both sides.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
The people who are saying this is because the sens are the only ones offering contracts aren’t wrong, but at some point once Dorion has a critical mass of signed players it’s a positive feedback loop.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
The Leafs are capped out with their current team construction. Like with Ottawa, Perry has expressed interest in playing there and if he was willing to sign the minimum I think the Leafs would have signed him if they had any cap room. One idea that interests me if he goes to a rebuilder like Ottawa, even if they gave Perry some sort of no trade protection, Toronto would likely have interest pretty early into the season once enough cap has accrued to fit him in at 50% retained. After a month or two, Perry to the Leafs at 350K for a fair pick/prospect might make sense for both sides.

It would be somewhat surprising to me to see Melnyk retain Salary. Mostly based on public comments. It's not impossible though, it's just improbable.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I'd be into having him on the team, but we have to see Batherson, Formenton, Norris, Balcers, Abramov etc to start assessing.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Dorion is probably hoarding as many 1 year contract vets as he can find so he can flip them for picks at the deadline to contenders.

Its not a bad strategy. Insulate the youngsters, move som of the vetse at the deadline for picks and give the youngsters more freedom when there is little pressure.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Its not a bad strategy. Insulate the youngsters, move som of the vetse at the deadline for picks and give the youngsters more freedom when there is little pressure.

Some of the youngsters need to play in the nhl now though. I’d hate to see Batherson have to stay in Belleville because the team insisted on getting a 35 year old Corey Perry for one year.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Some of the youngsters need to play in the nhl now though. I’d hate to see Batherson have to stay in Belleville because the team insisted on getting a 35 year old Corey Perry for one year.

I agree. There should be a couple spots up front and there will always be injuries.

Filling a top 6 with rookies and letting them go didn't work very well for Edmonton. Its a difficult balance to find for sure.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I agree. There should be a couple spots up front and there will always be injuries.

Filling a top 6 with rookies and letting them go didn't work very well for Edmonton. Its a difficult balance to find for sure.

I see 9 forward spots being locked up. The team will carry 13 forwards, so there’s 4 spots open.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I see 9 forward spots being locked up. The team will carry 13 forwards, so there’s 4 spots open.

Stutzle might play in germany this year. Batherson, Norris, Formenton and Brown are the bigger named prospects competing for those spots.

I'm sure a couple of them will make the team out of camp. The others will probably be the first callups.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Frank Seravilli just announced on TSN That's Hockey that Corey Perry and Ottawa Senators have mutual interest.

Sorry no link to cite; exclusively from Tsn That's Hockey

So we can assume this means no one else has any interest in Perry?

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Stutzle might play in germany this year. Batherson, Norris, Formenton and Brown are the bigger named prospects competing for those spots.

I'm sure a couple of them will make the team out of camp. The others will probably be the first callups.

Yeah, I have the locks as

Tkachuk
White
Anisimov
Paul
Dadonov
Galchenyuk
C. Brown
Tierney
Watson

One of those guys (Anisimov?) might be the 13th forward, but yeah, the young guys you mentioned will certainly compete for the remaining spots.

Reactions: NB613

NB613

Jul 26, 2013
Ottawa
Yeah, I have the locks as

Tkachuk
White
Anisimov
Paul
Dadonov
Galchenyuk
C. Brown
Tierney
Watson

One of those guys (Anisimov?) might be the 13th forward, but yeah, the young guys you mentioned will certainly compete for the remaining spots.
4 remaining spots: Batherson, L. Brown, Balcers, Chlapik

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
I didn't want him back because it'd block the path of guys like Dellandrea and Robertson, but he was a good player in the playoffs that scored some big goals. Dont know how he'll look for a team that doesn't play as physical and slow as Dallas, though.

ShameOnYouZidlicky

Jun 4, 2010
I think this would be a great fit for the Sens. I like how they have picked up Dadonov and Galchenyuk for scoring but having Perry brings in leadership and that competitive edge which is so important for a young growing team

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Like him or hate him, Perry is pretty much what we would want Tkachuk to become, would be alright to have him around for only a year.
If Tkachuk can ever turn into a Perry scoring wise, we would be in business. That's why we should get him on a 1 year deal even if it means keeping guys like Formenton, Chalpik, Norris, Abramov in the AHL one more year. We can assess L. Brown and Batherson this year with the big club.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad