SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Tkachuk/Anisimov/Dadonov
C.Brown/Tierney/Batherson
Paul/Galchenyuk/White
Abramov /Brown/ Watson
Ex: Balcers, Chlapik

Something like that is my guess. Abramov has been a man on a mission in the SHL and almost made the team last year. L Brown is probably going to get a lot of looks because of the powerplay. All bottom-5 guys will rotated around as needed based on health, opposition. Paul might get moved down a line by Watson if they want more "jam" with Galchenyuk and White.

Don't mind the lineup what about Norris, Formenton?

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
If this is all part of "The Plan" it seems really random
I think the "plan" was just to re-sign Duclair but he flaked, so they used Dadanov as a "Plan B".

Galchenyuk is just a Ennis replacement (and if we can get 40 points from him like Ennis we'll be thrilled). Watson is just a Sabourin replacement with some actual NHL ability.

Gudbranson is just a Hainsey replacement with more jam and size. We're hoping one of Zub or Josh Brown can replace Demelo which is the only real "downgrade" from last year that i see.

The only real improvement will come from development of young guys like Tkachuk, Chabot, Batherson, etc.. and some better goaltending from the starter in Murray.

Assuming the PP is better, we don't see a rash of injuries, and we get some better goaltending a .500 record isn't off the table.

Reactions: guyzeur and buud

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Don't mind the lineup what about Norris, Formenton?
I think they start the season elsewhere and come up after injuries hit. As I mentioned elsewhere, every team eventually loses at least 200 games from their forward corps so we'll have spots for them. I'm just not sure they'll be starting the season on the Sens

Formenton can easily take out Abramov though and Abramov could be the odd guy out though or Norris could push Brown out.

Assuming the Sens miss the playoffs, Galchenyuk and Anisimov will likely be elsewhere after the deadline. I'm confident Formenton and Norris will somehow end up with 40 games a piece by the end of the season based on trades and injuries.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I think the "plan" was just to re-sign Duclair but he flaked, so they used Dadanov as a "Plan B".

Galchenyuk is just a Ennis replacement (and if we can get 40 points from him like Ennis we'll be thrilled). Watson is just a Sabourin replacement with some actual NHL ability.

Gudbranson is just a Hainsey replacement with more jam and size. We're hoping one of Zub or Josh Brown can replace Demelo which is the only real "downgrade" from last year that i see.

The only real improvement will come from development of young guys like Tkachuk, Chabot, Batherson, etc.. and some better goaltending from the starter in Murray.

Assuming the PP is better, we don't see a rash of injuries, and we get some better goaltending a .500 record isn't off the table.

I think Ottawa tried to address three things this off season.

1. Goaltending
2. Add more skill
3. Add more toughness

They’ve checked all three of those boxes.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I think Ottawa tried to address three things this off season.

1. Goaltending
2. Add more skill
3. Add more toughness

They’ve checked all three of those boxes.
I've never thought toughness was our issue. We had plenty of willing fighters, physical guys, and guys willing to take a puck to the face. I think our issue was size/strength, especially on the backend. I'm interested to see how Gudbranson and Brown does because that could be a real help on the PK and dealing with bigger/stronger forwards. Demelo and Hainsey were fine defensemen but they weren't bruisers and while Borowiecki was willing he simply didn't have the size/strength to do anything but run into people.

Skill-wise, I'm not sure we've improved. Dadanov, Galchnyuk, and Logan Brown are all good PP guys and that was, by far, our biggest weakness last season so I'm hopeful. I think they are a real improvement on the guys they're essentially replacing, Ennis, Namestnikov, and Duclair offensively. I also think Watson is an upgrade skill-wise on the Peca/Sabourin duo we trotted out. What about Pageau though? I mean we've done nothing to replace him except the minutes Batherson is going to play. He might do it offensively, it was only 40 points and Batherson is likely going to get a lot of opportunity, but there is no way we're going to replace Pageau defensively with a rookie like Batherson and expect to improve the position. Another solid center signing could go a long way to filling out the roster. IDK. Maybe they expect Norris/Brown to absolutely kill it.

I think Anderson was done last year but unfortunately, I'm not sold on Murray. If Murray is even a league average goalie night-in night-out that will be an improvement, but I just can't sell myself on expecting it after the season Murray had on a much better team.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I've never thought toughness was our issue. We had plenty of willing fighters, physical guys, and guys willing to take a puck to the face. I think our issue was size/strength, especially on the backend. I'm interested to see how Gudbranson and Brown does because that could be a real help on the PK and dealing with bigger/stronger forwards. Demelo and Hainsey were fine defensemen but they weren't bruisers and while Borowiecki was willing he simply didn't have the size/strength to do anything but run into people.

Skill-wise, I'm not sure we've improved. Dadanov, Galchnyuk, and Logan Brown are all good PP guys and that was, by far, our biggest weakness last season so I'm hopeful. I think they are a real improvement on the guys they're essentially replacing, Ennis, Namestnikov, and Duclair offensively. I also think Watson is an upgrade skill-wise on the Peca/Sabourin duo we trotted out. What about Pageau though? I mean we've done nothing to replace him except the minutes Batherson is going to play. He might do it offensively, it was only 40 points and Batherson is likely going to get a lot of opportunity, but there is no way we're going to replace Pageau defensively with a rookie like Batherson and expect to improve the position. Another solid center signing could go a long way to filling out the roster. IDK. Maybe they expect Norris/Brown to absolutely kill it.

I think Anderson was done last year but unfortunately, I'm not sold on Murray. If Murray is even a league average goalie night-in night-out that will be an improvement, but I just can't sell myself on expecting it after the season Murray had on a much better team.

Lot to unpack here, but I’ll give you my thoughts on the toughness issue. With Boro and Sabourin leaving, the team needed to add some guys who were willing to play with an edge and drop the gloves. Enter Gudbranson, Brown and Watson. It’s not all about fighting, as all three guys are big and can play physical as well.

I don’t think the team wants Tkachuk fighting all the time, which is smart, so those guys and Nick Paul to a certain extent can help in that regard. I think the team feels those players can add things other than toughness though. They aren’t one dimensional goons like Sabourin. They will play a lot, and all three are likely going to PK for us.

It’s important to protect our skilled guys like Chabot, Stutzle, Dadonov etc. and we shouldn’t have a problem doing that.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
it's a win-win for you guys.

Perry helps with the young guys, which is pretty important. and he probably turns in to a draft pick at the deadline.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
it's a win-win for you guys.

Perry helps with the young guys, which is pretty important. and he probably turns in to a draft pick at the deadline.

The only downside would be him taking a roster spot away from a younger player.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
OTT fans should like this. A cheap vet who plays hard and can teach the young guys what it takes to succeed in this league. You can't have a team full of rookies, that's a recipe for disaster. Besides, if a young player can't beat out 35 year old Perry for a roster spot then they're not ready yet.

I'd love to have Perry on the Flames at 1M if they had any room, could pretty much corner the market on Ahole players.

As a ducks fan who really likes Perry, I'm a bit surprised by some of the takes in this thread. Perry plays hard - sometimes. Last year, he was great in the playoffs and pretty awful in the regular season. Before that, he a bad year or two in Anaheim where he often seemed disinterested and his offseason training regimen (or lack therof) was a longstanding and consistent problem. He definitely can turn up his game in prime time - not sure how that fits on a team like Ottawa that won't make the playoffs and/or will be losing a lot.

The other thing is the ducks bought out Perry in large part because they didn't want him around the younger guys during the rebuild/retool. I'm not sure he fits the mold of a mentor on a losing team, though obviously he's a playoff warrior who will score clutch goals.

I would like to see Perry on a team that is a real contender. Dallas apparently can't afford him. Maybe a team like Colorado can/would. Calgary or Vancouver could be a fit as well. Basically, any team that looking to make a real playoff run.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
I saw this a few months back. I'd gladly add him to the Sens. He's won at every level and leads by example.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Don't sleep on Perry. I absolutely hated the guy before he came to Dallas but warmed up on him and became a fan. His best days are behind him but his deflection skills are still top notch and will give you that net front presence that is missing from quite a few teams. For a team that is rebuilding like Ottawa and the great off-season moves/draft that they had this guy would be a great pick-up while not costing much at all. He will probably get Spezza money ($700k).

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Still lots of room on the roster for youth
I only see two spots only open for Norris, Formenton, L. Brown, Balcers and Abramov. Then taking into account actual ice time i dunno i really dont see the point of Galchenyuk. Getting some veteran leadership makes alot more sense to me.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
I only see two spots only open for Norris, Formenton, L. Brown, Balcers and Abramov. Then taking into account actual ice time i dunno i really dont see the point of Galchenyuk. Getting some veteran leadership makes alot more sense to me.

Aside from Tkachuk, Dadanov, Tierney, and C. Brown there isn't a single forward that the coach wouldn't be comfortable scratching for a game or three. Gal and Anismov can be gone by the deadline if they justify a return. If they don't, they're getting scratched anyway. This would apply to Perry on a 1 year contract as well.

This is likely a shortened season so playing in the AHL till the deadline could mean less than 30 games or 3 months. Time spent playing top unit, top minutes, on a top team.

Most of these guys are under 22 and have played less than two full seasons in AHL. Letting them over-ripen is a benefit to a strong farm system, not a detriment.

Injuries will likely be up this year after an extended and locked-down layoff.

There will be a ton of roster churn.

Most of these guys are on entry levels. Keeping them in AHL for a few extra games can save significant money on ELC bonuses. It also helps the team with contract negotiations next summer as most are RFAs.

Senators are creating all the benefits of a rebuilding team with their strong farm team, and all the benefits of a strong NHL team with high competition and lots of marinating in the AHL.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Ottawa will most likely be in the basement if there is a Canadian division, but man are they going to make every team pay and earn their two points.

Won’t be a great team but will be fun to watch I’d imagine

Imnotagoodposter

Jan 5, 2020
Formenton and Norris are the only ones worth a damn. Brown is a bust, balcers is a generic depth guy and abramov is same as balcers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad