Corey Locke's potential

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProspectsFans

Feb 16, 2004
Tokyo
Hi all,

Except the fact that Locke is a slow skater and his tiny size, I'd like to know if the 84 have the potential to get success in the NHL.

Can someone tell me exactly what kind of player Locke is? What are his strenghs and his weaknesses please?

Thanks for your time!

Necrophile

Nov 20, 2003
Visit site
ProspectsFans said:
Hi all,

Except the fact that Locke is a slow skater and his tiny size, I'd like to know if the 84 have the potential to get success in the NHL.

Can someone tell me exactly what kind of player Locke is? What are his strenghs and his weaknesses please?

Thanks for your time!

He could make an impact at the NHL level, but will need to work on his skating and bulk up. The same was said about Mike Ribeiro in his draft year, and if you consider it, they're similar players.

They both have great vision and offensive talents, and Locke is dominating the OHL (like Ribeiro dominated the QMJHL). However, one thing that appears to set them apart is Locke's work ethic, which is by far superior to Ribeiro's. If he can add some size and improve his skating within 2-3 years, he could make it to the NHL. However, the Habs' have too many centers right now, so it will be tough:

Hossa (C/W), Kastsitsyn (C/W), Plekanec, Gratton, Locke, Urquhart, as well as Kilger (C/W), Bégin, Bulis (C/W), Juneau (UFA), Perreault (UFA), Ribeiro, Koivu.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Necrophile said:
He could make an impact at the NHL level, but will need to work on his skating and bulk up. The same was said about Mike Ribeiro in his draft year, and if you consider it, they're similar players.

They both have great vision and offensive talents, and Locke is dominating the OHL (like Ribeiro dominated the QMJHL). However, one thing that appears to set them apart is Locke's work ethic, which is by far superior to Ribeiro's. If he can add some size and improve his skating within 2-3 years, he could make it to the NHL.

Thats actually a pretty good assessment.

While Locke may not be the biggest, nor is he the quickest, he's a very smart player who can flat out create offense.

But what seperates him from some of the other "small talented Junior players" is the fact that's got great work ethic, he's a competitor and a team leader and he isn't afraid of physical play.

If Locke isn't able to reach the NHL, then IMO he'll at least become an outstanding AHL player.

ProspectsFans

Feb 16, 2004
Tokyo
Necrophile said:

They both have great vision and offensive talents, and Locke is dominating the OHL (like Ribeiro dominated the QMJHL). However, one thing that appears to set them apart is Locke's work ethic, which is by far superior to Ribeiro's. If he can add some size and improve his skating within 2-3 years, he could make it to the NHL. However, the Habs' have too many centers right now, so it will be tough:

Hossa (C/W), Kastsitsyn (C/W), Plekanec, Gratton, Locke, Urquhart, as well as Kilger (C/W), Bégin, Bulis (C/W), Juneau (UFA), Perreault (UFA), Ribeiro, Koivu.

Thanks for the reply Necro.

Is there any players in the NHL right now to compare with Locke?

Does he have particular strenghs?

Thanks again

Last edited:

Necrophile

Nov 20, 2003
Visit site
ProspectsFans said:
Thanks for the reply Necro.

Is there any players in the NHL right now to compare with Locke?

Does he have particular strenghs?

Thanks again

Well the best comparison I can give is to say he is like Mike Ribeiro (who leads the Habs in scoring this season): a slow, small center with great vision and offensive talent. However, he has a much better work ethic than Ribeiro, which could ultimately end up being the difference between becoming a great AHLer and becoming a good NHLer.

Also, I like what Brock added:

Brock said:
But what seperates him from some of the other "small talented Junior players" is the fact that's got great work ethic, he's a competitor and a team leader and he isn't afraid of physical play.

This fierceness and leadership could also warrant a comparison to Habs' captain, Saku Koivu, who despite his small frame, plays a fireball style.

So, to conclude, I'd have to say Corey Locke is like a mix of Mike Ribeiro and Saku Koivu.

Last edited:

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
As mentioned above, Locke's work ethic and character are what will really help him. Small and slow players who make the NHL are few and far between, but Locke is not soft (as certain similar prospects like Kyle Wellwood for example) are.

His skills are undeniable, but he is so committed to self-improvement that he could make it despite his limitations. He is working on his skating tirelessly, although the results haven't been quite what he had hoped. A gritty player, he's the captain of the 67's and after watching him in the playoffs last year, it's obvious the type of warrior he can be. He may be small, but he won't back down. That may help him make it, because the skills are there.

ProspectsFans

Feb 16, 2004
Tokyo
Can someone explain to me how come Locke didn't make Team Canada and how come he didn't do anything at the all-star game?

Is he choking or what?

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
As stated, the key will be his skating. As of right now, he simply doesn't have the wheels to create offense in the bigs, or even sustain the rush against backcheckers with NHL speed.

If he does improve his skating a fair bit, then a 50-60 Ribiero type player is certainly a possibility. He's so good on the powerplay, that if he can translate that to the AHL someday, then he might be able to make it happen in the NHL too.

But his skating isn't something that will be improved enough in one summer of power skating. He'll have to really work on it for the next few years, and when he's 22 or 23 and been an AHL allstar already, then look for him to perhaps get a call-up. And by that time, who knows what Montreal's needs will be, or if he's even still with the Habs organization.

Of course, maybe he'll make it next year proving I have no idea what I'm talking about.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
ProspectsFans said:
Can someone explain to me how come Locke didn't make Team Canada and how come he didn't do anything at the all-star game?

Is he choking or what?
While I think he should have been invited to the WJC selection camp, his game doesn't fit the physical mold the Team Canada coaches said they wanted. If you saw the Canada/Russia games, he spent more time turning away from any potential contact than he did playing his game. That'd be my guess on why he wasn't on Team Canada.

Steve Latin*

ProspectsFans said:
Hi all,

Thanks for your time!

Gamache

S L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad