Corey Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.

sade

Aug 22, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
Is someone can tell me if that young gun have a chance to play one day in the nhl. If someone saw him play in ottawa (OHL) can you tell what are his assets? All we hear his he is little and slow but why does he win two championship in a row?

thanks

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
sade said:
Is someone can tell me if that young gun have a chance to play one day in the nhl. If someone saw him play in ottawa (OHL) can you tell what are his assets? All we hear his he is little and slow but why does he win two championship in a row?

thanks

He may have a shot down the road, but he'll need to improve his foot speed and skating while adding some muscle. I'd wait to see how he handles the AHL as the real test for his future.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
sade said:

thanks

Well, I guess what makes this guy so succesful in junior is his natural skill. The guy is as smart and gifted as any player I've ever seen in a 67's uniform. I never saw guys like Bobby Smith or anything, but on pure skill, he surpasses guys like Alyn McCauley and Mike Peca for example.

The guy wants the puck and knows what to do with it. Poise, patience, vision, it's all there. His hands are pretty smooth. He's not a magician with the puck the way Jason Spezza is (and was in the OHL) but he controls the puck incredibly well. Again, his shot isn't that great, but he knows how to maximize it and use it to his advantage.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
montreal said:
He may have a shot down the road, but he'll need to improve his foot speed and skating while adding some muscle. I'd wait to see how he handles the AHL as the real test for his future.

I personally believe Locke will have zero trouble adjusting to the AHL. He'll step right in as an impact player. Where Locke will have trouble will be the next step, where guys are just as smart and talented as he is, but with better surrounding attributes such as speed.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
If Locke work hard during the next few years, he could make it to the NHL level for sure. His size is not real concern for him. The real problem is his speed. Martin St-Louis is small but fast, and look how good is he. So if Locke can become fast, he will make it...

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Freaky Habs Fan said:
If Locke work hard during the next few years, he could make it to the NHL level for sure. His size is not real concern for him. The real problem is his speed. Martin St-Louis is small but fast, and look how good is he. So if Locke can become fast, he will make it...

The problem is, you just can't become fast. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. You can certainly improve your speed, as many players have. But you can't turn your skating from being poor into being excellent. It just doesn't work that way. Locke just has to work hard with power skating coaches, and bring up his skating level into the adequate range.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Brock said:
I personally believe Locke will have zero trouble adjusting to the AHL. He'll step right in as an impact player. Where Locke will have trouble will be the next step, where guys are just as smart and talented as he is, but with better surrounding attributes such as speed.

I was surprised at how Kyle Wellwood adapted to the AHL, so I'm hoping Locke has some kind of similar success as they were both gifted offensive players that weren't the best skaters or the fastest or strongest and Locke's more physical but thats not saying much. I read the Habs are interested in signing him but nothing official. I can't see Locke in the OHL next year, so I'll look forward to what he can do in the AHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->