Corey Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I can remember another player who was considered too small and too slow to ever make it in the pros. His name was Wayne Gretzsky. I wonder what happened to him?

I'm not saying Locke is another Gretzsky but this kid led the league last year in points and everyone dismissed it as a fluke or because of his great wingers. He repeated it this year with new wingers. I guess he's just a lucky s.o.b. He had great wingers again this year. Or maybe he makes them look great.

Go Habs Go

May 23, 2002
Mississauga
www.fanhome.com
Who knows, perhaps he will overcome his bad skating. Look at Ribeiro, he's small and he's pretty slow yet he's capable to contribute at the NHL level. Cannot generalize, in the end, determination to succeed has a lot to do with it.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
onice said:
I can remember another player who was considered too small and too slow to ever make it in the pros. His name was Wayne Gretzsky. I wonder what happened to him?

Correct me if I'm wrong (cause I'm not quite old enough) but wasn't Gretzky considered the next star of the NHL, regardless of the fact he didn't possess extreme size or speed?

At least thats what Ive been lead to believe.

Locke on the other hand is an "underdog". If you are looking for a similar situation try Luc Robitaille.

Vinceee

Go Foreurs Go!
Apr 27, 2004
Amos, QC
everybody here says that he is too small and everything, but how the **** did he manage to be the first in points in the OHL, two years in a row... Plus he has LOT of time to improve... Also you guys are talking like he is as slow as a turtle, i saw him playing once and IMO he is a bit faster than ribeiro...

sparkplug

Apr 30, 2004
Vancouver BC
Catcher.In.The.RyE said:
everybody here says that he is too small and everything, but how the **** did he manage to be the first in points in the OHL, two years in a row... Plus he has LOT of time to improve... Also you guys are talking like he is as slow as a turtle, i saw him playing once and IMO he is a bit faster than ribeiro...

Haven't seen him play, is he as shifty as Ribiero? If you're a small player and ESPECIALLY if you're slow, you need to be pretty shifty to survive.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Brock said:
Correct me if I'm wrong (cause I'm not quite old enough) but wasn't Gretzky considered the next star of the NHL, regardless of the fact he didn't possess extreme size or speed?

At least thats what Ive been lead to believe.

Locke on the other hand is an "underdog". If you are looking for a similar situation try Luc Robitaille.

He was never considered the new star as a matter of fact when he was lighting up the WHL, all the experts were saying his stats were meaningless, he could never make it on an NHL team let alone put up those monster stats.

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
onice said:
He was never considered the new star as a matter of fact when he was lighting up the WHL, all the experts were saying his stats were meaningless, he could never make it on an NHL team let alone put up those monster stats.

I read a book about the Oilers once that said the only reason that the Oilers got into the NHL was because Gretzky signed a personal service contact with the owner for 10 years and that he refused to let him play for any other team.

Sounds to me like alot of people were expecting him to do really well.

Sammy*

onice said:
Thats BS & revisionist history. When he was in the WHA it was commonly accepted that he was going to be a star in the NHL.

Blue Bullet

Feb 27, 2002
Bon Accord, AB
Visit site
Catcher.In.The.RyE said:

I think he'll be just another Peter Sarno. Sarno won the scoring title 2 years in a row in the OHL (It's not that big of a deal). Now he's a career minor leaguer with 6 NHL games of experience. They are both around the same size. Sarno's a better skater while Locke has a better touch around the net.

leafaholix*

onice said:
He was what Sidney Crosby is now.

His name all over the papers... tearing up all sorts of records... playing against guys 3 or 4 years older then him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->