Corey Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
He was just named OHL player of year and was CHL player of the year last year. What do you think his chances are of making the NHL in a couple of years and making an impact. I have a fear that he will be nothing more then an AHL star because I feel he lacks the speed needed for a small player to excel in the NHL.

Thoughts?

Harry

Mar 13, 2004
Victoria BC
Tuggy said:
He was just named OHL player of year and was CHL player of the year last year. What do you think his chances are of making the NHL in a couple of years and making an impact. I have a fear that he will be nothing more then an AHL star because I feel he lacks the speed needed for a small player to excel in the NHL.

Thoughts?

Its almost a carbon copy of Daniel Breire. Took him a couple of years to make it. Locke has the talent. I am sure if he keeps working hard and is coachable, he will make it just like Daniel did.

Steve Latin*

Harry said:
Its almost a carbon copy of Daniel Breire. Took him a couple of years to make it. Locke has the talent. I am sure if he keeps working hard and is coachable, he will make it just like Daniel did.

Yeah, except Briere can skate. I'd say Gamache is a better comparison.

S L

leafaholix*

Harry said:
Daniel Briere is a great skater... Corey Locke does not have the speed or strength on his skates.

He's definately no Briere.

leafaholix*

Sammy said:
Or Wellwood.
Wellwood is a rather average skater... but he's still a better skater then Locke.

It may also have to do with the age difference.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Handsome B. Wonderful said:
I think he'll be a copy of Bill Bowler or Trevor Gallant.

I have zero hope for this kid as a NHLer.

I think he can make it but he will have to work very hard. Yes, he lack speed and strenght but he can work on it. If he work on it, he will have all the tool to play in the NHL. He's small but many players like Briere, St-Louis, Koivu...are very good!

Sammy*

Freaky Habs Fan said:
He's small but many players like Briere, St-Louis, Koivu...are very good!
And all very fast.
About the only midget I can think of who wasnt fast &/or very fiesty & played well in the NHL was Cliff Ronning.

Saku K

AKA Saku K.
Jul 28, 2002
3-Rivières, Québec
Visit site
Donald Audette and Yanic Perreault also comes to mind when thinking about under-sized player with bad skating for their size who made themselves a decent career in the big league. I do think Locke is more coachable and has a way better work ethic/attitude than those two. Ribeiro isn't a great skater as well and made it almost on talent only. 6-0 170 pounds isn't what I would call good size. Can Locke make it? I do think there is a possibility but I don't think it will be as a high impact player, second line forward maybe. He may have to adjust his game from junior to pro because of the bigger and faster NHL and will ultimately limit his impact for such a talent.

I like the Gamache comparison though I think Locke will be an upgraded version. I thought the habs made a good decision by drafting him in the fourth round. If you draft players thinking of the possibilities this said player makes it as an NHLer, Locke is a good choice for a fourth round pick. I look forward to see him compete for the first place in rookie scoring in the AHL next year if he can get in a top-six forward role with the Dogs which could be difficult with the Hossas, Plekanecs, Perezhogins, Higgins.. etc.

Last edited:

Sammy*

Saku K. said:
Donald Audette and Yanic Perreault also comes to mind when thinking about under-sized player with bad skating for their size who made themselves a decent career in the big league.
IMO Audette was never a bad skater & in fact quick.
I think you would be surprised how bad an average to junior skater looks as compared to an average to bad NHL skater.
I dunno, but I would be very surprised if Yanic was considered an average to bad skater in junior.

Saku K

AKA Saku K.
Jul 28, 2002
3-Rivières, Québec
Visit site
Sammy said:
IMO Audette was never a bad skater & in fact quick.
I think you would be surprised how bad an average to junior skater looks as compared to an average to bad NHL skater.
I dunno, but I would be very surprised if Yanic was considered an average to bad skater in junior.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not saying Locke's skating doesn't need improvement. He'll have to work on it if he ever wants to get a sniff of NHL action. Audette is an average skater for his size imo, I agree with you that he has good quickness and mobility but he isn't a speeder by any means IMO. Perreault is a sub-par NHL skater and that's why he is a liability in every other aspects of hockey beside faceoffs and shooting the puck on most nights. I'm pretty sure he was considered as an average junior skater but I was just pointing the fact that it is possible to reach this league with average skating at best and below average size as well. Audette may not be the best example as much as Perreault though. Locke's attitude and commitment to self-improvement makes me believe he could one day be an NHL regular on a scoring line.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Leafaholix said:
He's also smaller, weaker, and slower.

Locke is 5'10, 180, Wellwood, 5'11, 190. But in all reality I'd say they are pretty close in terms of size.

I'm not sure where you got Wellwood is stronger then Locke, because he isn't. Maybe NOW he is because he's had a year of professional training, over Locke. But Locke is actually reasonable strong, especially on the puck.

But Locke is definitely slower then Wellwood.

Either way, I'd rather have Locke as a prospect. Although I also expect neither to be significant NHL players.

Munchausen

Saku K. said:
I look forward to see him compete for the first place in rookie scoring in the AHL next year if he can get in a top-six forward role with the Dogs which could be difficult with the Hossas, Plekanecs, Perezhogins, Higgins.. etc.

I feel confident Higgins and Plekanec will make the team from the get go. They're ready, no doubt about it. Also Hossa is going to be in Montreal or traded because he can no longer go through waivers safely.

I see Locke making it at center in Hamilton along with Gratton and Urquhart, and maybe (but surprisingly) one of Higgins and Plekanec. He could be in a position to play with quality wingers like Perezhogin and/or Kastsitsyn which would help him express his talent. I think he can handle the AHL pace, maybe not as a #1 center, but still. But he's still light years away from the NHL.

I think it's more a matter for him of adding some lower body strength and working with a skating coach during the summer. He won't ever be as fast as a Briere though, but if Mike Ribeiro can make it, he sure can. I'm just not sure it'll be with Montreal as they have so many smallish centers already, both in Montreal and in the system.

leafaholix*

Brock said:
Locke is 5'10, 180, Wellwood, 5'11, 190. But in all reality I'd say they are pretty close in terms of size.

I'm not sure where you got Wellwood is stronger then Locke, because he isn't. Maybe NOW he is because he's had a year of professional training, over Locke. But Locke is actually reasonable strong, especially on the puck.

But Locke is definitely slower then Wellwood.

Either way, I'd rather have Locke as a prospect. Although I also expect neither to be significant NHL players.
Corey Locke has got to be one of the weakest prospects in terms of physical abilities.

Saku K

AKA Saku K.
Jul 28, 2002
3-Rivières, Québec
Visit site
Munchausen said:
I feel confident Higgins and Plekanec will make the team from the get go. They're ready, no doubt about it. Also Hossa is going to be in Montreal or traded because he can no longer go through waivers safely.

I see Locke making it at center in Hamilton along with Gratton and Urquhart, and maybe (but surprisingly) one of Higgins and Plekanec. He could be in a position to play with quality wingers like Perezhogin and/or Kastsitsyn which would help him express his talent. I think he can handle the AHL pace, maybe not as a #1 center, but still. But he's still light years away from the NHL.

I think it's more a matter for him of adding some lower body strength and working with a skating coach during the summer. He won't ever be as fast as a Briere though, but if Mike Ribeiro can make it, he sure can. I'm just not sure it'll be with Montreal as they have so many smallish centers already, both in Montreal and in the system.

I agree pretty much with everything you said. I think at least 2 forwards prospects (between Higgins, Plekanec, Hossa and Perezhogin) should make it to the Habs lineup next year. I think Perez will go back to Hamilton beside if he has a monster camp. I am a bit hesitant to add both Higgins and Plekanec because of their size and I also think Hossa will get one last shot in Montreal even though I am not really high on him. It is a now or never situation for him in Montreal.

My fear for Locke is that he may be stuck down in the Dogs' depth chart if there is no NHL season next year. The Dogs have to find him a top-six role or I fear his development could be slowed down as a result.

Oh yeah and it's ''If Yanic Perreault can make it, he sure can''. ;)

leafaholix*

Brock said:
We've been watching different Corey Locke's then.
I don't mean skill... I'm talking about being able to make a difference physically.

habsfansam

Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere dark...?
physical attributes aren't everything... many of the very dangerous NHL small-guys were very fast, but others simply were able to think the game on a whole new level... god love doug gilmour, but he wasn't the fastest thing around, or the biggest, but he found a way to be great.

objectively, he has the skills... they might not stand out, but you can't deny scoring, especially on a team as weak as the 67's this year. everyone said his scoring would bottom out without his 2 large and skilled linemates, and he managed to do it all himself and scored just under 2ppg... the ohl isn't bad defensively, so corey must be doing something right.

He'll probably never tear up the NHL, but i could see him working on his skating and strength, and then performing quite well on a 2nd/3rd line role. Good pick by the habs... never count out the small guys.

leafaholix*

habsfansam said:
physical attributes aren't everything... many of the very dangerous NHL small-guys were very fast, but others simply were able to think the game on a whole new level... god love doug gilmour, but he wasn't the fastest thing around, or the biggest, but he found a way to be great.
Doug Gilmour played the game rough... he was also a decent skater.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Leafaholix said:
I don't mean skill... I'm talking about being able to make a difference physically.

The difference between Locke and Wellwood is that Wellwood is a perimiter player. He is as soft a player as I've ever seen. He won't fight through checks, let alone throw them. Locke on the other hand, will go into heavy traffic, will stand up for himself, and plays in every area of the offensive zone. For a little guy, Locke is not soft. He does not have a big build, but he's reasonably strong on the puck and needs to be because of his other deficiencies. Wellwood may be a better skater, but that's the only thing he has on Locke. Locke is more talented, stronger on the puck, and much more willing to take or dish out the physical play.

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
Hossa said:
The difference between Locke and Wellwood is that Wellwood is a perimiter player. He is as soft a player as I've ever seen. He won't fight through checks, let alone throw them. Locke on the other hand, will go into heavy traffic, will stand up for himself, and plays in every area of the offensive zone. For a little guy, Locke is not soft. He does not have a big build, but he's reasonably strong on the puck and needs to be because of his other deficiencies. Wellwood may be a better skater, but that's the only thing he has on Locke. Locke is more talented, stronger on the puck, and much more willing to take or dish out the physical play.

Thats what I saw when I watched him when I lived in Ottawa. Killer didn't hesitate to use him in all situations with Foy. He may not light the NHL up, but I think he'll become a very useful player a few years down the road. The guy has good hockey sense and vision. Getting him the the 4th round was awesome as far as I'm concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->