Corey Locke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rather Gingerly 1*

Until I have seen Kastsitsyn play I cannot comment. Although, I find it hard to believe a keen eye like Andre Savard's, would draft Kastsitsyn if he was indeed that bad.

Carbonneau

Jan 31, 2003
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Rather Gingerly 1 said:
Until I have seen Kastsitsyn play I cannot comment. Although, I find it hard to believe a keen eye like Andre Savard's, would draft Kastsitsyn if he was indeed that bad.

Exactly, there were a lot of great players to draft at the #10 spot last June.

And at the time, MTL was a pretty crappy team and couldn't take a chance on wasting such a high pick

Hitman*

He may score like a madman, but his skating isn't nearly as good as it needs to be for him to be a solid NHLer. Guys like St.Louis, Briere etc. are all great skaters which is why they can be successful. Plus, anyone in TB will tell you that St.Louis has the strongest legs in the NHL, something like that can't be said about Locke, who doesn't look solid at all.

db23

Hitman said:
He may score like a madman, but his skating isn't nearly as good as it needs to be for him to be a solid NHLer. Guys like St.Louis, Briere etc. are all great skaters which is why they can be successful. Plus, anyone in TB will tell you that St.Louis has the strongest legs in the NHL, something like that can't be said about Locke, who doesn't look solid at all.

St. Louis was never drafted and didn't really break out as a pro until he was in his mid 20s. It took him a few years to build up those legs. I recall scouts saying that Briere wasn't the greatest skater in the world when he was a teenager, same with Marc Savard and Darcy Tucker. Also Mike Ribeiro.

There is a fundamental flaw in the logic, when you say "he may score like a madman" but his skating isn't good enough. As an 18 and 19 year old playing against other teenagers it was obviously good enough. Why would it not be good enough when he is in his 20s playing against older players? Different players rely on different assets to succeed.

swiftsure1786

Oct 27, 2003
db23 said:
St. Louis was never drafted and didn't really break out as a pro until he was in his mid 20s. It took him a few years to build up those legs. I recall scouts saying that Briere wasn't the greatest skater in the world when he was a teenager, same with Marc Savard and Darcy Tucker. Also Mike Ribeiro.

There is a fundamental flaw in the logic, when you say "he may score like a madman" but his skating isn't good enough. As an 18 and 19 year old playing against other teenagers it was obviously good enough. Why would it not be good enough when he is in his 20s playing against older players? Different players rely on different assets to succeed.

Exactly and what Locke uses what he has to great effect, someone also said he was soft and this is simply not the case, for a small guy he roughs it up a bit.

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
All this Locke=Gilmour has got to stop. Its insulting a great hockey player Doug Gilmour. Locke is a lot like Simon Gamache of the Atlanta organization. Locke has terrible skating, please don't try and refute that, I live seconds away from the civic and have seen many games, if you think locke is a good NHL prospect don't ever become a scout. He has small frame 5'9 175, but even though he is small does not mean he can't make it look at Bouchard on of my personal favs who is only 5'10 162. But however Locke does not have what most small guys like Bouchard has. Bouchard is a very fast and elusive player. Locke is slow, soft shot, no physical play, bumped off the puck very easily. See guys like Bouchard get knocked off the puck somewhat in the NHL but didn't get knocked of the puck like Locke does. Locke is a great Junior player, terrible NHL prospect! The sooner you figure that out the sonner you can actually watch real NHL prospects. Don't ever disrespect Gilmour like that, its disgusting!

db23

Blah, blah, blah....Gilmour was passed over in the draft in his first year of eligibility and didn't go until the 6th round the following year. What about all of those scouts?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Vincent_TheGreat said:
All this Locke=Gilmour has got to stop. Its insulting a great hockey player Doug Gilmour. Locke is a lot like Simon Gamache of the Atlanta organization. Locke has terrible skating, please don't try and refute that, I live seconds away from the civic and have seen many games, if you think locke is a good NHL prospect don't ever become a scout. He has small frame 5'9 175, but even though he is small does not mean he can't make it look at Bouchard on of my personal favs who is only 5'10 162. But however Locke does not have what most small guys like Bouchard has. Bouchard is a very fast and elusive player. Locke is slow, soft shot, no physical play, bumped off the puck very easily. See guys like Bouchard get knocked off the puck somewhat in the NHL but didn't get knocked of the puck like Locke does. Locke is a great Junior player, terrible NHL prospect! The sooner you figure that out the sonner you can actually watch real NHL prospects. Don't ever disrespect Gilmour like that, its disgusting!

I don't agree at all. Locke is not a terrible skater. He's not good but he's not terrible either. I don't give a crap where you live, I have my own eyes and while I think Locke needs alot of work on his skating, terrible is too harsh.

But I don't see the Gilmour comparisons at all either.

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
montreal said:
I don't agree at all. Locke is not a terrible skater. He's not good but he's not terrible either. I don't give a crap where you live, I have my own eyes and while I think Locke needs alot of work on his skating, terrible is too harsh.

But I don't see the Gilmour comparisons at all either.

WHY NOT terrible. Sloopy starts, no acceleration, very bad balance and below average top speed. Thats a terrible skater!

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Vincent_TheGreat said:
WHY NOT terrible. Sloopy starts, no acceleration, very bad balance and below average top speed. Thats a terrible skater!

I don't agree. His foot speed isn't that bad, he has decent top speed and I wouldn't say his balance is very bad either.

db23

I could add one more name to the "great junior, but too small and too slow to be a good pro" list.

Wayne Gretzky.

Gretzky never had a chance to show where he would have gone in the NHL draft, but in the OHL draft he was passed over for a big guy who was a good skater, Tom McCarthy. You be the judge.

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
db23 said:
I could add one more name to the "great junior, but too small and too slow to be a good pro" list.

Wayne Gretzky.

Gretzky never had a chance to show where he would have gone in the NHL draft, but in the OHL draft he was passed over for a big guy who was a good skater, Tom McCarthy. You be the judge.

Now you crossed the line, WTF are you trying to say with that. Crosby=Gretzky? Thats what it sounds like!

Crusher20

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
A lot of People underate the hockey vision of some player who can destroy the leagues, Mike Ribeiro was consider, small, terrible skater, weak shot and physicaly and still is making a big impact now in the NHL, players can learn and sometimes the juniors arent the best place to learn, Mike Ribeiro, Daniel Briere, Martin St-Louis, Donald Audette, Luc Robitaille are all small weak players and some of them were terrible skaters, some remained terrible skaters, but one thing in common in those players, they mostly took a long time to become real nhl players. I see the same thing happening with Locke he might take 3, 4 or even 5 years down the road but his ability to understand the game is huge, if he sucks that bad how can he burn the league like that (yes he burn the league this year too, is linemates were terrible talents, no one is even close to the PPG he got) so i dont worry too much about him, i dont say he will become a star but he certainly is a great gamble.

db23

Vincent_TheGreat said:
Now you crossed the line, WTF are you trying to say with that. Crosby=Gretzky? Thats what it sounds like!

Don't know what you're babbling about, frat boy, but no one mentioned Crosby here. When Gretzky was a junior he was thought by many to be too small and too slow to be a good pro. That is a fact.

You sure picked an appropriate avatar for yourself. :p

db23

Crusher20 said:
A lot of People underate the hockey vision of some player who can destroy the leagues, Mike Ribeiro was consider, small, terrible skater, weak shot and physicaly and still is making a big impact now in the NHL, players can learn and sometimes the juniors arent the best place to learn, Mike Ribeiro, Daniel Briere, Martin St-Louis, Donald Audette, Luc Robitaille are all small weak players and some of them were terrible skaters, some remained terrible skaters, but one thing in common in those players, they mostly took a long time to become real nhl players. I see the same thing happening with Locke he might take 3, 4 or even 5 years down the road but his ability to understand the game is huge, if he sucks that bad how can he burn the league like that (yes he burn the league this year too, is linemates were terrible talents, no one is even close to the PPG he got) so i dont worry too much about him, i dont say he will become a star but he certainly is a great gamble.

Not Robitaille. He stepped right in out of junior hockey and scored about 50 goals

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
db23 said:
The same thing was said about guys like Mike Ribeiro, Darcy Tucker, Mike Comrie, Daniel Briere, Marc Savard etc., etc.

Locke will make the NHL, no worries. He was probably the Habs best pick last draft. The other guys they took before Locke will all be duds.
Don't forget the leading scorer in the NHL,Martin St. Louis. He wasn't
even drafted.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
pei fan said:
Don't forget the leading scorer in the NHL,Martin St. Louis. He wasn't
even drafted.
Sorry I replied before reading the rest of the threads.It's already been
stated.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
DutchLeafsfan said: