Corey Locke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

swiftsure1786

Oct 27, 2003
DutchLeafsfan said:
Small size, terrible skating...

Saying his skating is terrible is too far. His skating is bad but not terrible. I think it is a great steal for the Habs.

DutchLeafsfan

Jun 3, 2002
Rotterdam, NL
www.gamer.nl
swiftsure1786 said:
Saying his skating is terrible is too far. His skating is bad but not terrible. I think it is a great steal for the Habs.

He sure might be a nice surprise, but I think he needs to improve his skating to actually make it. That said, not many people expected Kyle Wellwood (who during his draft year had won the Eddie Powers trophy for the OHL leading scorer and was a 5th round pick for the Leafs) to do a lot at pro level because of his size, relatively not great speed and lack of physical play. So far he is second in rookie scoring (1 point back, was the leader for quite a while) and has made the AHL All Star team in his rookie year thanks to his puckhandling skills and great vision...

db23

The same thing was said about guys like Mike Ribeiro, Darcy Tucker, Mike Comrie, Daniel Briere, Marc Savard etc., etc.

Locke will make the NHL, no worries. He was probably the Habs best pick last draft. The other guys they took before Locke will all be duds.

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
db23 said:
The same thing was said about guys like Mike Ribeiro, Darcy Tucker, Mike Comrie, Daniel Briere, Marc Savard etc., etc.

Locke will make the NHL, no worries. He was probably the Habs best pick last draft. The other guys they took before Locke will all be duds.

For Briere small yes, but anyone who tells you he was anything but a greater skater is crazy.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Well Locke has a number of things he needs to improve on. First is his overall strength. He has weak upper and lower body strength, he needs to improve his foot speed and acceleration. He needs to improve his skating (but it's not as bad as some posters here say). And he needs some work in his defensive game.

Sounds like a good reason to be picked where he was. Lighting up juniors isn't that impressive, even though he's racked up 267 points in the last 2 seasons, he is still a long ways from the NHL. One thing he has going for him is character and hard work. He knows what he needs to do, and hopefully he'll be in the AHL next year where it will be a lot eaiser to gauge his development.

Still a good pick by the Habs to take a shot on a player that COULD make the NHL someday.

Carbonneau

Jan 31, 2003
Nova Scotia
Visit site
db23 said:

This summed up your knowledge of prospects right here.

Go look up Andrei Kastisyn

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
DutchLeafsfan said:
He sure might be a nice surprise, but I think he needs to improve his skating to actually make it. That said, not many people expected Kyle Wellwood (who during his draft year had won the Eddie Powers trophy for the OHL leading scorer and was a 5th round pick for the Leafs) to do a lot at pro level because of his size, relatively not great speed and lack of physical play. So far he is second in rookie scoring (1 point back, was the leader for quite a while) and has made the AHL All Star team in his rookie year thanks to his puckhandling skills and great vision...

The key difference between Locke and Wellwood is that Locke is a much grittier player. Where Wellwood is very much a perimiter player, Locke will go into heavy traffic, and not only take hits, but throw some too. He's tough and gritty, considering his size.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
montreal said:
Well Locke has a number of things he needs to improve on. First is his overall strength. He has weak upper and lower body strength, he needs to improve his foot speed and acceleration. He needs to improve his skating (but it's not as bad as some posters here say). And he needs some work in his defensive game.

Sounds like a good reason to be picked where he was. Lighting up juniors isn't that impressive, even though he's racked up 267 points in the last 2 seasons, he is still a long ways from the NHL. One thing he has going for him is character and hard work. He knows what he needs to do, and hopefully he'll be in the AHL next year where it will be a lot eaiser to gauge his development.

Still a good pick by the Habs to take a shot on a player that COULD make the NHL someday.

Locke's defence was much, much better last year than it has been this year for one simple reason: linemates. Where Matt Foy and to a lesser extent Scott Sheppard could be major factors on offence without Locke at times, his linemates this year are significantly worse. As a result, Kilrea has let him play a lot less responsibly in hopes of creating more offensive chances. It's probably the first time I can remember Kilrea doing it with a player, but this is the weakest 67's squad in several years (despite winning the division).

db23

Carbonneau said:
This summed up your knowledge of prospects right here.

Go look up Andrei Kastisyn

I'll bet my lunch money that Locke gets to the NHL before Kastitsyn and stays a lot longer.

RE-HABS

Feb 27, 2002
CANADA
db23 said:
I'll bet my lunch money that Locke gets to the NHL before Kastitsyn and stays a lot longer.
I hope you have a lot of lunch money! Because your going to be had bigtime on that prediction.

X-SHARKIE

RE-HABS said:
I hope you have a lot of lunch money! Because your going to be had bigtime on that prediction.

I would also like to join this bet :)

Mabey you're just going by stats, and thinking just because Andrei hasnt put um up this year that he's a bust, and since Locke has put the puck in the net and others goal scoring hands, that he's the real deal.

Locke has alot to work on, Kastisyn ooozes offensive potential and his limited role has only encouraged his defensive game.

Andrei is the real deal, and well be here sooner and alot longer.

Locke is a bit of a whiner as well I hear.... I see him slamming his sticks and pointing fingers to much. Although in the 4th round pick, it was a good risk to take.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Kastitsyn first has to make the Super League, the guy can have all the talent in the world but if he can't put it together then he isn't going to make it. If he comes to North America before he makes the Super League then I guarenteed he will bust mainly becasue it shows he gives up rather then working. The same thing Khomutov did which scares me :( I don't like quiters.

db23

We'll see, but I have the feeling that a few years from now, Habs fans will be saying "Thank God for Corey Locke or that draft would have been a complete washout.....".

Carbonneau

Jan 31, 2003
Nova Scotia
Visit site
db23 said:

I'll take that bet, Corey Locke will be lucky if he's playin in the AHL next year.

If he makes it to the NHL, it'll be like Ryder, where he'll start out in the ECHL and move his way up.

Don't bet your lunch, you might starve

Carbonneau

Jan 31, 2003
Nova Scotia
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:
Kastitsyn first has to make the Super League, the guy can have all the talent in the world but if he can't put it together then he isn't going to make it. If he comes to North America before he makes the Super League then I guarenteed he will bust mainly becasue it shows he gives up rather then working. The same thing Khomutov did which scares me :( I don't like quiters.

When have young players ever received much ice time in the SuperLeague?

Gainey will sign Kastisyn this summer and get him over here, as soon as , possible:
1. Because Gainey knows best
2.To avoid problems with the Russian Federation

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Carbonneau said:
When have young players ever received much ice time in the SuperLeague?

Gainey will sign Kastisyn this summer and get him over here, as soon as , possible:
1. Because Gainey knows best
2.To avoid problems with the Russian Federation
Untill he is atleast a mainstay on the 4th line I don't think it is a good idea to bring him over. Unless he gets one or two years in at Medicine Hat.

Carbonneau

Jan 31, 2003
Nova Scotia
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:
Untill he is atleast a mainstay on the 4th line I don't think it is a good idea to bring him over. Unless he gets one or two years in at Medicine Hat.

thanks, i actually didn't know who had his junior rights.

I agree that you don't want to rush him. Perehozgin(sp.) has turned out very well though and Doug Jarvis would be a great teacher for Kastisyn

db23

Carbonneau said:
thanks, i actually didn't know who had his junior rights.

I agree that you don't want to rush him. Perehozgin(sp.) has turned out very well though and Doug Jarvis would be a great teacher for Kastisyn

Perezhogin played better at the same age in Russia, and he is still not a lock for the NHL. I see Kostitsyn as a huge disappointment. No one really got a chance to see much of him except playing for Belarus in tournaments. One scouting service went ballistic on him, but they were the same guys who said that Lars Jonsson was the guy who was going to be great a couple of years back. Jonsson will likely never play in the NHL. If you base your judgement on what Kyle Woodleif says, you may as well use tarot cards, they are probably more accurate. As for the other players taken ahead of Locke - Urquhart, Lapierre, and O'Byrne, they are going nowhere. I am not prepared to completely write off Kostitsyn yet, but I would definately do so on the others.

Carbonneau

Jan 31, 2003
Nova Scotia
Visit site
db23 said:
Perezhogin played better at the same age in Russia, and he is still not a lock for the NHL. I see Kostitsyn as a huge disappointment. No one really got a chance to see much of him except playing for Belarus in tournaments. One scouting service went ballistic on him, but they were the same guys who said that Lars Jonsson was the guy who was going to be great a couple of years back. Jonsson will likely never play in the NHL. If you base your judgement on what Kyle Woodleif says, you may as well use tarot cards, they are probably more accurate. As for the other players taken ahead of Locke - Urquhart, Lapierre, and O'Byrne, they are going nowhere. I am not prepared to completely write off Kostitsyn yet, but I would definately do so on the others.

I think your wrong on Maxim Lapierre. This kid could be a great third or fourth line player. Everyone you draft doesn't nessecarily have to play on the top 2 lines.

" The world needs ditch diggers too "

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Locke is a "lock" to be a solid AHL scorer in a few years, but whether he ever gets beyond that will depend on his skating. It simply needs to improve. As mentioned, comparing Locke to other diminutive offensive dynamo's is all well and good, except Locke simply doesn't have the wheels most of them do. There are not very many slow, small and soft players in the NHL.

It's not to say he can't make it, it's just the Habs will have to be very patient. In three or four years, he might emerge as a solid offensive contributor. A worth while gamble for a 4th round pick, but still a major question mark. And I don't think his character is a problem, he's a good kid and a leader for the 67's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad