Corey Locke??

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWT Habs Fan

Apr 25, 2003
Edmonton, AB
Visit site
Canada_87 said:
Can someone please tell me why Corey got drafted so low in 2003?

I mean, he got 151 points that year and he was drafted 113th..

He was considered too small, too slow, and not a good enough skater to go in the earlier rounds...at least in the eyes of the GM's making their picks. He is having a decent AHL rookie season in Hamilton despite these gaps in his game. Who really knows what his top end is or whether he will make it in the NHL, but it won't be for lack of trying.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
He is certainly not soft. Ask any Ottawa fans about the playoff game against St. Michael's in 2003. Having seen him play in the OHL a few times, he really reminded me of Marc Savard at that level. Small, feisty, and at a completely higher level than anyone else on the ice, especially his teammates in 03-04, when he led the league in goals and points again. He was clearly on another level when it came to skill level and his mental game.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Canada_87 said:

He was an overager at the draft table, when you're a CHL player and you weren't drafted when you were 17-18, you automatically go down the ranks, so that takes off two rounds and when you're small and slow like Locke, you're lucky someone's picked you up. Too bad though because he is unquestionably one of the more gifted playmakers.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
tuckerdomi said:
Yaah went 131st, scouts will be kickin themselfs in the rear, this kid will make the NHL.

I would have a very hard time saying he will make the NHL. His skating is suspect, his size is an issue, and he isn't a real hardnosed player. Bottom line, he doesn't do anything well enough at the pro level to take the next step and overcome his deficiencies. Yes, he was a great scorer at the junior level and he may very well do the same at the pro level, but it won't be in the NHL. I just don't see it. Of course he could continue to develop, but I just don't see him being overly effective. I see a guy like Eric Perrin who is very similar and he is nothing more than a great AHL player or fringe NHLer. I don't think GMs will be kicking themselves for missing out on Locke.

Bulldog fan

Timmy Dogs Alum 1999
Nov 5, 2004
101York Bld Hamilton
As a Bulldogs STH I've seen him play quite a few AHL games this year. So far this year his biggest strength has been his ability to see the ice. He seems to find ways to get open and has been making some exceptional passes.
The size thing is probably his biggest problem, if the NHL finds a way to open the game up more I could see him with a regular shift in the NHL, if not he is going to have to develop a mean streak in him.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
Canada_87 said:

Colton Yellowhorn is Corey Locke clone.

He will never be considered as a top prospect, but like Locke, he will surprise many people in the NHL. I feel both have a NHL future, no matter how small they are.

Habs4ever

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal, (Quebec)
Visit site
He didn't opt in 2002 draft year

Leachmeister2000 said:
He was an overager at the draft table, when you're a CHL player and you weren't drafted when you were 17-18, you automatically go down the ranks, so that takes off two rounds and when you're small and slow like Locke, you're lucky someone's picked you up. Too bad though because he is unquestionably one of the more gifted playmakers.

as he was injured at the time and he chose to wait one year, there was birth date conflict if I recall correctly. seems like he showed all he could in his draft year, but still wasn't enough in eyes of other team scouts, even Montreal picked him late despite having four picks before they picked him.

Munchausen

If Mike Ribeiro made it, Corey has a chance, although slim of course. But Locke has the same kind of elite level vision and creativity that allowed Ribeiro to make it despite his toothpick frame, average skating and flawed work ethic.

Locke has a better shot and more drive (and as it appears a better work ethic too). He's not physical, but to say he's soft isn't accurate. He goes into danger areas and fights for pucks. If he didn't, he wouldn't be among the rookie scoring leaders in the AHL.

I'm impressed with him, and I must say, from the 4-5 games I've seen of him with the Bulldogs this year, I underrated his feistiness and dedication quite a bit. The guy has raised his game a notch. Cuddos to him. Of course that doesn't mean he'll make the NHL, but he's now one step closer.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Locke has indeed exceeded expectations thus far but the AHL is still a significant step down from the NHL and his chances of translating his success to the NHL is doubtful. While he is certainly not a "soft" player as some posters have stated, a lack of strength is an issue and this, coupled with his skating, will prevent him from being an NHL regular.

Munchausen

VOB said:
Locke has indeed exceeded expectations thus far but the AHL is still a significant step down from the NHL and his chances of translating his success to the NHL is doubtful. While he is certainly not a "soft" player as some posters have stated, a lack of strength is an issue and this, coupled with his skating, will prevent him from being an NHL regular.

Not disagreeing with what you said in any way, but don't forget this year's AHL is significantly stronger than in normal times due to locked-out players that could/would normally be in the NHL playing in the A right now.

Adding to this that Locke is on a seriously offensively challenged team and managed to be the second best scoring player as a rookie, so I think it's a bold accomplishment.

Players with a small physique and slow skaters must learn to outsmart the opposition and slow the pace of the game down to theirs. Seems Locke is doing it so far in the AHL. Remains to be seen if he will do it at the next level too.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The biggest thing Locke's got going for him, is that he's had to prove himself due to his size since his OHL days, and his superior hockey sense, will enable him to become an AHL star, and hopefully and NHL player, he's absolutely deadly on the PP, so maybe that's where he'll make his living

Blackshad

Oct 12, 2002
Munchausen said:
If Mike Ribeiro made it, Corey has a chance, although slim of course. But Locke has the same kind of elite level vision and creativity that allowed Ribeiro to make it despite his toothpick frame, average skating and flawed work ethic.

Locke has a better shot and more drive (and as it appears a better work ethic too). He's not physical, but to say he's soft isn't accurate. He goes into danger areas and fights for pucks. If he didn't, he wouldn't be among the rookie scoring leaders in the AHL.

I'm impressed with him, and I must say, from the 4-5 games I've seen of him with the Bulldogs this year, I underrated his feistiness and dedication quite a bit. The guy has raised his game a notch. Cuddos to him. Of course that doesn't mean he'll make the NHL, but he's now one step closer.
Good post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad