Corey Locke signs with Habs

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Today the two time OHL leading scorer signed a 3 year deal with the Canadiens. He'll likely get a spot with Hamilton this season. I think he's improved his skating and foot speed, but the question is if it's enough to compensate for his lack of size and the increased level of competition. It will be interesting to see him in the AHL if he makes the team. Too bad for the 67's, who lose some fire power, would have been interesting to see Locke and Kaspar on the same line.

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Well Ribeiro os not a fabulous skater nor is he a big guy, so these things can be overcome with talent. It will be interesting to see how Locke does this year.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
NYR469 said:
would i be right to assume he'll play in the AHL?? or is that not a given?

No it's not a given. He can play in the AHL, ECHL or OHL, so he has to make the team still. Hamilton will have Plekanec, Ott, Morgan, Duslabon, Urquhart and Locke who are all centers. I would think he'll make the team, but we'll see in a few weeks.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
montreal said:
. Hamilton will have Plekanec, Ott, Morgan, Duslabon, Urquhart and Locke who are all centers. QUOTE]
So you mean Steve Ott, the dallas prospect, what is he doing in hamilton? and has Urquart signed before saying he'l be in hamilton, i hope they sign Lappiere

Marchy79

Mar 1, 2003
Barrie
Visit site
Marcel the great! said:
montreal said:
. Hamilton will have Plekanec, Ott, Morgan, Duslabon, Urquhart and Locke who are all centers. QUOTE]
So you mean Steve Ott, the dallas prospect, what is he doing in hamilton? and has Urquart signed before saying he'l be in hamilton, i hope they sign Lappiere

We agreed to accept 4 (maybe as much as 6) prospects to play in Hamilton... Ott I believe was sent to them in this fashion...

Urquhart was signed somethign like a week ago, and LaPierre, while he has impressed Timmins and a few other brass members with his gritty tough play, is still too young and does not have enough CHL experience, therefore we cannot sign him this season (he must wait until next year).

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Just a quick- but important- word about ages in order to clear up some points of constant confusion about prospects on these boards:

1. When eligibility rules talk about ages they are not talking about birthdays. They are talking about birthYEARS. So, regardless of the fact that certain junior players may turn 20 in Jan, Feb 2005...whatever.. they are still considered 19 year olds by virtue of their draft year.

2. Some players (like Perry) will sign a tryout contract with a minor league team AFTER their junior year has finished. But this does not negate the fact that their normal team is still their junior team and they are not allowed to sign minor-league contracts (NCAA players and non-CHL Euros are different in this regard- not to mention the very rarely employed '4 year CHL' rule).

3. Eligibility for tournaments like WJCs, Under 18s is ALWAYS based upon birthYEARS, not birthdays. So any player who was born 1985 or later is eligible for this years WJC (even if he turns 20 on, say, Jan. 02nd- while the tournament is still running).

4. The one DAY to keep in mind is Sept. 15th- that is the cut off day for draft eligibility. So this year's top picks will all have birthdates Sept. 16/86 to Sept. 15/87 (last year's opt-outs are the main exception). This means that there are many players from two different draft YEARS who enter the same draft (Sept. 16-Dec. 31/1986 AND Jan. 01-Sept. 15/1987).

Last edited:

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Oops! My big mistake. I was thinking this was about Corey Perry (another thread). Corey Locke is indeed fully eligible for AHL play this year (or Euro or OHL overager- should he ecide so).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->