Corey Crawford Appreciation Thread

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
What he's done for us this season has been good. What he's done for us throughout his career is great. One day soon, he'll be gone, but he'll retire as the only 2 time cup winning goalie this franchise has ever had. I'll miss seeing #50 out there.

Last edited:

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Crow struggled early on, but I never believed he was done, he was just getting terrible bounces, and hung out to dry in a few of the games. He has certainly turned his game around with rebounds, and has gained a lot of confidence here. Having 2-#1 G's is awesome!

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Crow is the Rodney Dangerfield of the NHL. He gets no respect.

Dude is a consistent elite goalie when healthy, was easily a top three reason for both the 2013 and 2015 Cups (and legitimately should've won the Conn Smythe in 2013), he carried this team through horrible defensive woes for several years, and is the third winningest goalie in franchise history. And yet people overly remember his admittedly weak start to the 2015 playoffs and his very subpar performance in the 2012 series versus the Yotes, and I honestly think a sizeable segment of the fanbase views him with those detractions first and foremost. All goalies have ebbs and flows, but his peaks have far outweighed his valleys all at a reasonable cap hit.

His consistently elite years are behind him, and Lehner is absolutely our future, but Crow still has gas in the tank and is a proven commodity that we can absolutely win with. I can only hope he remains healthy and continues to be part of the franchise, but if we give longeterm #1 money to Lehner I couldn't fault him for wanting another crack at being the #1 elsewhere rather than being a backup (which I would love to see him extended as such).

I honestly think he's in number retired territory with the Hawks. Two Cups, two Jennings, two-time All-Star, and third in wins behind only two others that have their numbers retired? I'd retire it even recognizing he's not going to get Hall of Fame consideration.

Last edited:

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Crow is the Rodney Dangerfield of the NHL. He gets no respect.

Dude is a consistent elite goalie when healthy, was easily a top three reason for both the 2013 and 2015 Cups (and legitimately should've won the Conn Smythe in 2013), he carried this team through horrible defensive woes for several years, and is the third winningest goalie in franchise history. And yet people overly remember his admittedly weak start to the 2015 playoffs and his very subpar performance in the 2012 series versus the Yotes, and I honestly think a sizeable segment of the fanbase views him with those detractions first and foremost. All goalies have ebbs and flows, but his peaks have far outweighed his valleys all at a reasonable cap hit.

His consistently elite years are behind him, and Lehner is absolutely our future, but Crow still has gas in the tank and is a proven commodity that we can absolutely win with. I can only hope he remains healthy and continues to be part of the franchise, but if we give longeterm #1 money to Lehner I couldn't fault him for wanting another crack at being the #1 elsewhere rather than being a backup (which I would love to see him extended as such).

I honestly think he's in number retired territory with the Hawks. Two Cups, two Jennings, two-time All-Star, and third in wins behind only two others that have their numbers retired? I'd retire it even recognizing he's not going to get Hall of Fame consideration.

Agreed. Unfortunately you have a bunch of eunuchs out there that claim his numbers were bolstered by a great defense. The thing they fail to realize that, aside from 2013, his best numbers were behind some of the worst D's the 'hawks have iced.

Another thing a lot of fans fail to recognize is consistency. You look at some goalies numbers that the fans fawn over and their SV% is up and down per year like whores' drawers. Crawford's have been remarkably consistent. He's kinda like a prime Hjammer in net--nothing flashy but does the job and does it well.

I don't know if he'll have his number retired. But I think he was as-integral as some of the skater core guys for the 'hawks success.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Agreed. Unfortunately you have a bunch of eunuchs out there that claim his numbers were bolstered by a great defense. The thing they fail to realize that, aside from 2013, his best numbers were behind some of the worst D's the 'hawks have iced.

Another thing a lot of fans fail to recognize is consistency. You look at some goalies numbers that the fans fawn over and their SV% is up and down per year like ****es' drawers. Crawford's have been remarkably consistent. He's kinda like a prime Hjammer in net--nothing flashy but does the job and does it well.

I don't know if he'll have his number retired. But I think he was as-integral as some of the skater core guys for the 'hawks success.
It's really a shame he got hurt in 2017-18 because he was on his way to a Vezina IMO.

Reactions: Pez68 and LordKOTL

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
It's really a shame he got hurt in 2017-18 because he was on his way to a Vezina IMO.

I agree, but realistically we just don't know. He could have fallen off as the season wore down with zero support in front of him. You'd think a team with the right pack mentality, seeing their netminder playing in-effing-SANE in front of them would get them all on board trying to get him some hardware, instead of derping it all over the ice like they did.

KWP

Aug 18, 2018
The Nearest Gin Joint
On my list of all time favorite sports moments / images is Crow flinging aside his mask after the final horn.
I LOVE that video clip. Was such a relief and expression of joy & accomplishment. WHAT a GAME that was.

And of course, it goes w/o saying Crow's, "F'n A Chicago!" as unforgettable as it was ... uh ... not quite G rated for the kids at the celebration. Hockey baby, not for the faint of heart or always proper etiquette. ;-)

Love for Crow is strong, before, now, always - a true Blackhawk great.

Reactions: d rake

KWP

Aug 18, 2018
The Nearest Gin Joint
Not ashamed to say ... got a bit weepy as it happened.
Wasn't just me either, I remember Roenick too, the national tv post game.
GodDAM I love hockey. ;-)

---------
Note to self: Watery eyed not weepy, you pu>>y. ;-)

Last edited:
Reactions: Crow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->