Core Charges on Parts

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
So I recently replaced my starter. Upon purchase I was charged a $10 core charge, which I absolutely paid tax for.

Upon returning the core today my refund did not include the tax I paid earlier.

Am I wrong for feeling cheated here? It was only $1.30 so I didn't put up too much of a fight

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
So I recently replaced my starter. Upon purchase I was charged a $10 core charge, which I absolutely paid tax for.

Upon returning the core today my refund did not include the tax I paid earlier.

Am I wrong for feeling cheated here? It was only $1.30 so I didn't put up too much of a fight
As in you paid for a part, couldn't use it, and then returned it? Why wouldn't the tax be repaid as well since you essentially didn't buy anything?

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
As in you paid for a part, couldn't use it, and then returned it? Why wouldn't the tax be repaid as well since you essentially didn't buy anything?

No it was the core charge, essentially a deposit that is returned when the old part is returned the store. Lots of parts are sent back, refurbished, and re-sold.

That is odd that the core charge was charged tax, I wonder if that particular store is making some extra money that way, charging tax when they shouldn't be.

Reactions: HansonBro

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
No it was the core charge, essentially a deposit that is returned when the old part is returned the store. Lots of parts are sent back, refurbished, and re-sold.

That is odd that the core charge was charged tax, I wonder if that particular store is making some extra money that way, charging tax when they shouldn't be.
Then you're being taxed for the "service". That would not be returnable financially on their part.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Then you're being taxed for the "service". That would not be returnable financially on their part.

You're not getting a service though. A core charge is literally a deposit, they want you to return the old caliper, alternator, starter etc so they can rebuild it and re-sell it.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
The service they're providing is a recycling service.

It's not a recycling service they're providing the customer though, the customer can throw the part in the metal scrap bin free of charge. They charge the customer a core charge, or deposit, to ensure that doesn't happen and the customer returns the part so it can be remanufactured and re-sold. There is no recycling service being provided although I can see how the government would view it as such so they can continue to charge tax.

Reactions: TaLoN

HansonBro

May 3, 2006

good old Canadian tire

The service they're providing is a recycling service.
Not true. They will take my old starter and remanufactured it

Hence the core charge

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad