News and Blog Report: Corb Lund

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Just got back from the Interstellar Rodeo. First it was pretty cool as he was suppose to play friday, but came back to play today, thus they named it "Corb Lund Day" in Edmonton. sort of a joke, but, wouldn't doubt some people will actually remember and honor it.

Any way, To the Oilers. He basically talked about the Oilers for a couple mins. Talked about how he and Andrew Ference have chatted about the team turning around. Then he played his oilers song. Ya, he wrote a song about the Oilers. Any way, he put on a great show. Any one else see it?

Last edited:

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
here is a youtube vid of him singing at a oilers game a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J40t5Q21nsA

I wouldn't exactly call that a new song, he just changed the words to "Roughest Neck Around." Still cool though. I remember old Smalls gigs where he'd wear one of those big chinese straw hats and an old Tikkanen jersey that was too small for him. Much more excited for the Smalls reunion shows. Either way, glad Corby is a true fan and sticks with the team no matter what.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I relate the Oilers more to the 'Ford Got Stuck' song to tell you the truth.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
lol, so I should say I have never been a big fan of his music. However, he put on a great show, and seems like a pretty genuine guy. Any way, got to love the love for the oilers. We oiler fans should take whatever love we can get lol

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
I'm going to see the Smalls at X-Fest in Calgary. IMO Lund's collaboration with the Smalls was some of his finest work. Very excited to see the Smalls reunited. I'd like it if they wrote some new material. Jack White, Fitz and the Tantrums, and the Arctic Monkeys are also playing X-Fest, so it should be a fun weekend.

millpoo

Sep 26, 2006
ST. A
I saw him at Interstellar as well - or should I say, listened to him. $75 was a little much to pay for not being able to show up until 8:30, so we just hung out behind the amphitheatre and enjoyed the music and ambiance. It was nice to enjoy our own pops as well :naughty:

For the record, I am not a 'pop-country' fan, but the rootsy traditional stuff I'll always have a soft spot for. The stand-up bass always gets my foot stomping.

Corb Lund is an absolute beauty. Edmonton and the Oilers are lucky to have him as a resident and fan.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
I'm going to see the Smalls at X-Fest in Calgary. IMO Lund's collaboration with the Smalls was some of his finest work. Very excited to see the Smalls reunited. I'd like it if they wrote some new material. Jack White, Fitz and the Tantrums, and the Arctic Monkeys are also playing X-Fest, so it should be a fun weekend.

I went to see the Smalls twice on their final tour. I didn't realise they were doing shows (or show) together. That'd be great to see. I'm a fan of Corb's solo work, but I agree that the Smalls were his best stuff.

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
I went to see the Smalls twice on their final tour. I didn't realise they were doing shows (or show) together. That'd be great to see. I'm a fan of Corb's solo work, but I agree that the Smalls were his best stuff.

Yeah it's unfortunate the two shows they're playing are festivals with ~$175 tickets. :(

I'm hoping they do one extra "real" gig.

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
Yeah it's unfortunate the two shows they're playing are festivals with ~$175 tickets. :(

I'm hoping they do one extra "real" gig.

Yeah, it is unfortunate. I think that the Smalls are gonna feel some love playing Edmonton and Calgary. Hopefully they'll do some more shows after the festivals. They had a loyal following throughout Alberta. I saw them play a lot, even drove from Edmonton to Canmore to see one of their shows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad