SH%
TmSH+
SH Calc
TmSHR

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
These look like things @overpass and the By the Numbers crowd have worked on that I typically look at and nod along with because I’m not as smart as them.

I’ll start digging. R-On and R-Off is the ratio of GF:GA when the player is on or off the ice though. I like that one.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
These look like things @overpass and the By the Numbers crowd have worked on that I typically look at and nod along with because I’m not as smart as them.

I’ll start digging. R-On and R-Off is the ratio of GF:GA when the player is on or off the ice though. I like that one.

I sent a message to overpass, but haven' heard anything as of yet.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Hi Q, some stuff are
R-ON
R-OFF
XEV+/-
AEV+/-
EV%
TmEV+
EV Calc
TmEVR
$PPP
$PPP/S
TmPP+
PP Calc
TmPPR
$SHP
$SHP/S
SH%
TmSH+
SH Calc
TmSHR

Here:

A few years ago I put together a spreadsheet with situational and adjusted stats for NHL players. The stats begin in 1967-68 when plus-minus data was first officially published by the NHL. Some members of the ATD community have found it useful so I thought I might as well post it for general use and discussion.

Link is here. Stats are included for individual seasons and careers. If you use pivot tables, there's one included so you can easily filter and calculate the stats over a particular time frame.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14030504/Adjusted NHL Stats 1968-2015.zip

There's a glossary explaining the different terms included in the download. Here are a few of the commonly used ones.

$ESG
Even strength goals, adjusted to a league scoring level of 180 ESG per team.
$ESA Even strength assists, adjusted to a league scoring level of 180 ESG per team.
$ESP Even strength points, adjusted to a league scoring level of 180 ESG per team.
$ESGF Even strength goals for (on-ice), adjusted to a scoring level of 180 ESG per team.
$ESGA Even strength goals against (on-ice), adjusted to a scoring level of 180 ESG per team.
R-ON Even strength GF/GA ratio for the player's team while the player was on the ice.
R-OFF Even strength GF/GA ratio for the player's team while the player was off the ice.
AEV+/- Adjusted even-strength plus-minus - plus minus adjusted for scoring level and strength of team. Calculated with (EV+/-) - (XEV+/-). Does not adjust for strength of linemates or opposition.
EV% Percentage of team's even strength goals, both for and against, for which the player was on the ice (per game). Calculation is (ESGF+ESGA)/(TmESGF+TmESGA)/SFrac. If you don't want it on a per-game basis, simply multiply by SFrac.
TmEV+ Strength of the player's team at even strength. 1 is average, higher is better. Calculated with TmESGF/TmESGA.
$PPG Power play goals, adjusted to a league scoring level of 60 PPG per team and a league-average number of power play opportunities.
$PPA Power play assists, adjusted to a league scoring level of 60 PPG per team and a league-average number of power play opportunities.
$PPP Power play points, adjusted to a league scoring level of 60 PPG per team and a league-average number of power play opportunities.
PP% Percentage of team's power play goals for which the player was on the ice (per game). Calculation is PGF/TmPPGF/SFrac. If you don't want it on a per-game basis, simply multiply by SFrac.
TmPP+ Strength of the player's team's power play. 1 is average, higher is better. Calculated with ((TmPPGF-TmSHGA)/TmPPO)/((LgPPGF-LgSHGA)/LgPPO).
$SHG Shorthanded goals, adjusted to a league scoring level of 10 SHG per team and a league-average number of times shorthanded.
$SHA Shorthanded assists, adjusted to a league scoring level of 10 SHG per team and a league-average number of times shorthanded.
$SHP Shorthanded points, adjusted to a league scoring level of 10 SHG per team and a league-average number of times shorthanded.
SH% Percentage of team's power play goals against which the player was on the ice (per game). Calculation is PGA/TmPPGA/SFrac. If you don't want it on a per-game basis, simply multiply by SFrac.
TmSH+ Strength of the player's team's penalty kill. 1 is average, lower is better. Calculated with ((TmPPGA-TmSHGF)/TmTSH)/((LgPPGF-LgSHGA)/LgPPO)

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/spreadsheet-with-adjusted-and-situational-stats.2028645/

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
For visual clarity:

$ESG
Even strength goals, adjusted to a league scoring level of 180 ESG per team.
$ESA Even strength assists, adjusted to a league scoring level of 180 ESG per team.
$ESP Even strength points, adjusted to a league scoring level of 180 ESG per team.
$ESGF Even strength goals for (on-ice), adjusted to a scoring level of 180 ESG per team.
$ESGA Even strength goals against (on-ice), adjusted to a scoring level of 180 ESG per team.
R-ON Even strength GF/GA ratio for the player's team while the player was on the ice.
R-OFF Even strength GF/GA ratio for the player's team while the player was off the ice.
AEV+/- Adjusted even-strength plus-minus - plus minus adjusted for scoring level and strength of team. Calculated with (EV+/-) - (XEV+/-). Does not adjust for strength of linemates or opposition.
EV% Percentage of team's even strength goals, both for and against, for which the player was on the ice (per game). Calculation is (ESGF+ESGA)/(TmESGF+TmESGA)/SFrac. If you don't want it on a per-game basis, simply multiply by SFrac.
TmEV+ Strength of the player's team at even strength. 1 is average, higher is better. Calculated with TmESGF/TmESGA.
$PPG Power play goals, adjusted to a league scoring level of 60 PPG per team and a league-average number of power play opportunities.
$PPA Power play assists, adjusted to a league scoring level of 60 PPG per team and a league-average number of power play opportunities.
$PPP Power play points, adjusted to a league scoring level of 60 PPG per team and a league-average number of power play opportunities.
PP% Percentage of team's power play goals for which the player was on the ice (per game). Calculation is PGF/TmPPGF/SFrac. If you don't want it on a per-game basis, simply multiply by SFrac.
TmPP+ Strength of the player's team's power play. 1 is average, higher is better. Calculated with ((TmPPGF-TmSHGA)/TmPPO)/((LgPPGF-LgSHGA)/LgPPO).
$SHG Shorthanded goals, adjusted to a league scoring level of 10 SHG per team and a league-average number of times shorthanded.
$SHA Shorthanded assists, adjusted to a league scoring level of 10 SHG per team and a league-average number of times shorthanded.
$SHP Shorthanded points, adjusted to a league scoring level of 10 SHG per team and a league-average number of times shorthanded.
SH% Percentage of team's power play goals against which the player was on the ice (per game). Calculation is PGA/TmPPGA/SFrac. If you don't want it on a per-game basis, simply multiply by SFrac.
TmSH+ Strength of the player's team's penalty kill. 1 is average, lower is better. Calculated with ((TmPPGA-TmSHGF)/TmTSH)/((LgPPGF-LgSHGA)/LgPPO)

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I know some of these, but not all:
  • R-ON: the ratio of goals for to goals against, at even-strength, while a player is on the ice
  • R-OFF: the ratio of goals for to goals against, at even-strength, while a player is off the ice
  • EV%: the percentage of "events" a player is on the ice for at ES. (For example is a team scores 100 goals at ES and allows 80, and a player is on the ice for 25 and 20 of those, his EV% would be 25%).
  • TmEV+: I think (but I'm not positive) that this is how good the team is at ES compared to the rest of the league (ie a team that's 1.20 would be 20% better at even-strength than the league average, which always has to be 1.00).
  • $PPP or $PPP/S: number of (normalized) PP points a player scores on average each season. Maybe one is a pure average (not taking into account injuries) while another is normalized to 82 games?
  • TmPP+: I think this shows how good a team is on the powerplay compared to the league average (higher is better)
  • $SHP or $SHP/S: same as $PPP, except for shorthanded points.
  • SH%: percentage of "events" a player is on the ice for on the PK - primarily this would be goals against. I think he has a PP% stat as well, but I didn't see it listed.
  • TmSH+: I think this shows how good a team is on the penalty kill compared to the league average (higher is better)
EDIT - I was beaten to it. Looks like I was on the right track for the most part.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->