Coots: Sean Couturier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
How many centers out there have contained Crosby this year?

Back in the day Joel Otto was very important to Calgary as a shutdown center (particularly against Edmonton) and was very good at the faceoff circle. While Coots is not as physically strong as Otto and may never become as such, I will take a Joel Otto type career out of him any day...doubt he will be Sundin type b/c of skating limitations and size but that is what some people seem to want at age 20! Still time to maybe be in between an Otto and Sundin type player..or a Trevor Linden type

Last edited:

tuckrr

Nov 28, 2008
I think some people overrate Couturier's defensive acumen at this stage. Yes, he has been deployed against tough competition, but he hasn't really done that a great job against them. Sure, there have been a couple high profile performances against Malkin/Crosby but it's not like they've solved those guys with Coots...they still get over 1 pt per game against him and the Flyers.

People like to cite the quality of comeptition and zone starts as a point to justify their view of how good/great the kid is defensively, but when you look at the end result of this, it has been quite poor. The stat showing goals allowed against while Coots is on the ice has been poor and doesn't rank that favorably against other NHL forwards that also face solid competition...also his PK work is poor compared to others on the team and he's made some bad turnovers. It seems he's improved his faceoffs but was pretty weak last season. I think you have to question, as many have, the wisdom of such a strategy of using a 19/20 yr old kid in the way he's been used so far.

That said, I (still) advocate a patient approach with Coots. He's way too young to conclude he's a bust or a future Selke candidate for that matter. From what I see, he needs to improve his skating and be deployed in a way that better utlizes his offensive tools...he needs to mature into his frame and gain confidence, which is common for players of his age...in 2-3 years we should start seeing what the kid's really about...that can get sketchy in terms of his value in trade...right now he's still perceived to be valuable given his age/size/draft position etc., but that may not be the case if his game doesn't get traction in that time.

Did you read the breakdown of Malkin (Highest Even strength PPG since lockout) vs Couturier at even strength?

Couturier nullified Geno.

Also, lets wait until Giroux scores a goal before we get worried about Cooter's offense!

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
He also just upgraded and neutralized Crosby. So it's not like he just has one superstar's number.

I was shocked by this.

I thought Crosby was going to kill Couturier and Malkin was going to destroy giroux but it worked out.

When i watched edmonton play Pitt, i saw bylsma constantly putting crosby and malkin out there against RNH. Everytime RNH was on the ice you could tell that was who pitt was targeting their matchups against. RNH has a real hard time against legit 1st line centers. He looks quite feeble against them. As much as RNH has a step on Couturier in terms of Offense what kind of advantage is it if teams are making him play defense against their top line stars? This is one of the reasons why i think RNH will have a hard time being a EV dominant force.

On the other hand I see teams avoiding putting their top stars on the ice when Couturier is out there.

fauxflex

Sep 5, 2009
Which part? The part where Couturier is a top defensive center or the part where the team's offense isn't working out?

The part where the Flyers allow more goals against than the majority other teams in the league. Not that he's the reason, but if Coots was out there neutralizing top opposing players consistently, and being this "top defensive forward" in the league, I think the Flyers would be doing better in that department. It's one thing for the coach to deploy a player in tough situations and against top competition, it's another thing for the player to be successful at it. I know we've all seen the admirable efforts to thwart Malkin/Crosby in a couple of their games, but there are 28 other teams in the league where that hasn't necessarily the case. Bundy (Therien) seemed to be able to raise his game and keep Jagr in check..did this make him a Norris candidate? No. Again, look at the stats that show opposing teams' ability to score goals when Couturier is on the ice (even str and PK) versus others, even players that face tough competition...you'll find he grades out as kind of average and not this "top defensive forward" and/or "future Selke" type young player. I'm not saying Coots will never pan out...as I said, I advocate being patient because it's way too early to be making that kind of call, but I do think he's overrated in terms of where his game has been at for the past year or so, particularly on the defensive side...

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The Flyers are allowing more goals against largely because they suck at maintaining offensive pressure. They spend a lot of games on defense, so goals will be going in. Once they can maintain the attack for more than 10-15 seconds at a time more than a couple times a game That will improve.

They're allowing, on average, 3 shots more per game than last year. It's not that the defense is of worse quality, it's that the other team just has the puck a lot more often.

Edit: If they were able to keep the puck themselves and were down at 28 SA/G again they would be looking at 9th in SA/G as opposed to 17th.

Last edited:

fauxflex

Sep 5, 2009
Did you read the breakdown of Malkin (Highest Even strength PPG since lockout) vs Couturier at even strength?

Couturier nullified Geno.
Also, lets wait until Giroux scores a goal before we get worried about Cooter's offense!

I think all that nullifying Malkin talk is a bit overstated. Let's look at Malkin's production vs. the Flyers with and without Coots on the Flyers:

This season: 1 GP 1 pt

Last Season: 3GP 2 pts

11-12 (Couturier's 1st season):
Reg Season: 6GP 6 Pts
Playoffs: 6GP 8 pts

Coots era: 16GP 17 pts = 1.1 pts per game

-------------------------------------------------

10-11 (Before Coots):
Reg Season: 4GP 2 pts
Playoffs 4GP 4 pts

09-10:
Reg Season: 5GP 8 pts
(no playoff meeting)

08-09:
Reg Season: 6GP 7 pts
Playoffs: 6GP 9pts

Pre-Coots Era: 25 GP 30 pts = 1.2 pts per game

-------------------------------------------------------

So, net net, the difference in Malkin's production against the Flyers has been "nullified" by Couturier's presence to the tune of one tenth of a point per game! Give the kid the damn Selke! :shakehead

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
The part where the Flyers allow more goals against than the majority other teams in the league. Not that he's the reason, but if Coots was out there neutralizing top opposing players consistently, and being this "top defensive forward" in the league, I think the Flyers would be doing better in that department.

You do know that there are other lines that play during the game. The other centers for the flyers are -5 and -4 respectively while Couturier is only -2 in a strictly defensive role where he isn't going to produce a lot of plus games.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I think all that nullifying Malkin talk is a bit overstated. Let's look at Malkin's production vs. the Flyers with and without Coots on the Flyers:

10-11 (Before Coots):
Playoffs 4GP 4 pts

09-10:
(no playoff meeting)

08-09:

So, net net, the difference in Malkin's production against the Flyers has been "nullified" by Couturier's presence to the tune of one tenth of a point per game! Give the kid the damn Selke! :shakehead

Almost all of Malkins points came when Couturier wasn't on the ice with him. When we've had last change and favorable matchups Malkin was a non factor thanks to Couturier.

Akanon

Apr 15, 2012
Almost all of Malkins points came when Couturier wasn't on the ice with him. When we've had last change and favorable matchups Malkin was a non factor thanks to Couturier.

That's what some people have trouble understanding.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ

10-11 (Before Coots):
Playoffs 4GP 4 pts

09-10:
(no playoff meeting)

08-09:

I'll try this again:

What they do against the rest of the team or on the PP is irrelevant when talking about Couturier's defense. He can't be held responsible for star players putting up points when the Flyers are down a man or when he's not on the ice.

chimrichalds18

the key
Apr 17, 2007
philadelphia

10-11 (Before Coots):
Playoffs 4GP 4 pts

09-10:
(no playoff meeting)

08-09:

2011-2012 (6 regular season, 6 postseason)

Malkin had 3G, 3A when Couturier was off the ice. He had 3 assists when Couturier was on the ice.

In the playoffs, he had 2 goals, 3 assists when Couturier was off the ice and 1 goal, 2 assists with Couturier on the ice.

2013 (4 regular season)

1 assist without Couturier, 1 goal, 1 assist with.

This year, Malkin got a goal and an assist, and Couturier wasn't on the ice.

Without Couturier:
17 GP, 6G, 8A

With Couturier:
17 GP, 2 G, 6A -- (2G, 2A on PP)

So in 17 games over the last 2+ seasons, Malkin has 4 EV assists going head to head against Couturier.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012

10-11 (Before Coots):
Playoffs 4GP 4 pts

09-10:
(no playoff meeting)

08-09:

Those point totals lack context. Look back on how many of those points came on the PP or when Sean wasn't on the ice.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
2011-2012 (6 regular season, 6 postseason)

Malkin had 3G, 3A when Couturier was off the ice. He had 3 assists when Couturier was on the ice.

In the playoffs, he had 2 goals, 3 assists when Couturier was off the ice and 1 goal, 2 assists with Couturier on the ice.

2013 (4 regular season)

1 assist without Couturier, 1 goal, 1 assist with.

This year, Malkin got a goal and an assist, and Couturier wasn't on the ice.

Without Couturier:
17 GP, 6G, 8A

With Couturier:
17 GP, 2 G, 6A -- (2G, 2A on PP)

So in 17 games over the last 2+ seasons, Malkin has 4 EV assists going head to head against Couturier.

If that's not the definition of shutdown, I don't know what is.

fauxflex

Sep 5, 2009
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus

That's what some people have trouble understanding.

OK ok, so he's a Malkin antidote, only in cases where we get last change/favorbale matchups...where has that been getting us really?

The stats (also) show that the team lets up a relatively high amount of goals against (es and pk) when Couturier is on the ice for him to be considered a top defensive forward in the NHL imo. The kid has potential and we've seen flashes, but he has a long way to go before justifying all the lofty talk imo.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ

OK ok, so he's a Malkin antidote, only in cases where we get last change/favorbale matchups...where has that been getting us really?

No, he said when we have last change we can matchup Couturier against the other teams top lines.

Couturier vs top line = the favorable matchup.

The stats (also) show that the team lets up a relatively high amount of goals against (es and pk) when Couturier is on the ice for him to be considered a top defensive forward in the NHL imo. The kid has potential and we've seen flashes, but he has a long way to go before justifying all the lofty talk imo.

What stats are these?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

What stats? All the stats we've reviewed countless times indicate the stars around the league produce at a markedly lower rate with Couturier on the ice, all while his line manages to move the puck down to the other end. I don't know what you mean about flashes, he has consistently been fantastic defensively.

And with this:

What, you mean besides shutting down a superstar player when he's on the ice with them? That seems pretty major to me. It's easier to win when guys like Malkin and Crosby can be silenced, is it not?

fauxflex

Sep 5, 2009
I'll try this again:

What they do against the rest of the team or on the PP is irrelevant when talking about Couturier's defense. He can't be held responsible for star players putting up points when the Flyers are down a man or when he's not on the ice.

I'll try THIS again...look at Couturier's goals allowed while on ice (es and PK) when compared to other forwards who have faced similar competition, he grades toward middle of the pack type performance defensively. I have the numbers but can't get to them right now...will try to post them later.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'll try THIS again...look at Couturier's goals allowed while on ice (es and PK) when compared to other forwards who have faced similar competition, he grades toward middle of the pack type performance defensively. I have the numbers but can't get to them right now...will try to post them later.

Do you think playing in front of a terrible goalie with a borderline sub- .900 save percentage for two seasons has skewed those numbers when compared to players in front of better goalies?

And the last time someone (Appleyard) did this analysis they came to a very different conclusion.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ

If you compared our entire team to the rest of the league they'd all look similar. The common tie between our players is that they all had the same sub par goalie performance behind them.

When you list those players, and list the stats for them for more than one shortened season please, chances are the ones at the top will have good goalies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad