Coots: Sean Couturier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyersfan731

Oct 23, 2013
You do realize hes 20 right? Mike Richards didn't even make the team at the same age...Just give him some time to grow up. Also the team as a whole has looked bad. Wait till they get out of this mess and this kid will become heavily relied upon to stop top line wingers.

I beg to differ my friend either u got it or you dont

Flyersfan731

Oct 23, 2013
So you're proclaiming him a bust at age 20? Most players aren't even in the league at that age.

No in not saying it's a busy I'm just saying if u got it u got it u think think Kane and Crosby needed time to grow up sure but they have it in the to just go out there and kill it everytime and I know they were 1st overalls but just saying either I got what it takes or u dont

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
No in not saying it's a busy I'm just saying if u got it u got it u think think Kane and Crosby needed time to grow up sure but they have it in the to just go out there and kill it everytime and I know they were 1st overalls but just saying either I got what it takes or u dont

You do realize Crosby is a generational talent, and Kane might just be the best pure offensive winger in the entire league after Oveckin, right? Comparing Couturier to either of them is ridiculously unfair.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Flyersfan731

Oct 23, 2013
You do realize Crosby is a generational talent, and Kane might just be the best pure offensive winger in the entire league after Oveckin, right? Comparing Couturier to either of them is ridiculously unfair.

Ooo trust me my friend I'm not comparing them at all

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
So you're proclaiming him a bust at age 20?

No, he's not a bust. He made it to the NHL at 18 so he already isn't a "bust" but if he doesn't improve his skating a lot, he'll end up a wasted 8th overall pick.... not a bust. Dougie Hamilton is having his own problems adapting to the NHL but when it comes to fundamentals and skills, Hamilton has far more than Couturier. Playing defense in the NHL as a 19-20 year old is a lot harder than being a 3rd line, checking center, which is what Couturier will top out at unless he improves on his deficiencies. The fact that he didn't dedicate the last two summers enhancing his skating, if nothing else, is worrisome.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If Couturier doesn't improve his skating he'll be nothing more than a less tough Wayne (not Keith) Primeau. This is all on him.

Couturier scored almost as many points as a rookie as Wayne Primeau scored in his career best season as a 27 year old. Couturier scored 13 goals as a rookie. Primeau's career high was 9.

To be kind, it's a silly comparison. Handzus or Hanzal is much closer to the mark.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Couturier scored almost as many points as a rookie as Wayne Primeau scored in his career best season as a 27 year old.

To be kind, it's a silly comparison. Handzus or Hanzal is much closer to the mark.

And if he ends up either, he'll be a complete waste of the 8th overall pick. Especially since I think Dougie Hamilton will be a franchise defenseman who plays 27-29 minutes a game and in all situations.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
A center who plays great defense and puts up 40-50 points a season is not a waste of the 8th pick in any draft.

I think it's funny that you already have Hamilton penciled in as becoming the highest minute playing defenseman in the league. Only two or three guys a season play that much.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I see Couturier Firmly entrenched as a big TOI 2nd line center.

I will admit last year I was really disappointed in his play. It wasn't just so much his play but his lack of physical improvement. He had A long off season and did not materialize those valuable months into improved athleticism.

However this year, even from watching the first Preseason Game , he has looked like he really took a leap forward in terms of physical development and skating. No matter what type of hands you have if you can't skate at the nhl level you will look bad.

The leap forward that he has taken has really changed my mind on what he can become. If he takes another leap forward next year I think we could be looking at a better version of jordan staal.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Jtown;73110035he has looked like he really took a leap forward in terms of physical development and[B said:
skating[/B].

What Sean Couturier are you watching? His skating stinks.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

I don't know what you're expecting of the guy, to be a top offensive talent in the league while handling insanely hard defensive minutes at 20 years old? That doesn't really happen.

Edit: In fact, Bobby Clarke might be the only guy who has ever come close to doing what you apparently expect.

tuckrr

Nov 28, 2008

Yeah but if you watch his turnovers in the offensive zone, it's mostly b/c he tries to take the body and loses the battles. I'm ok with that -- It shows hes not afraid to be physical.

Problem is, he's 20 and weighs like 195 lbs or something. When he's 225 he will actually handle those guys, and protect the puck well.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Lavi destroyed his confidence. He's been great on defense, but he's playing very reluctantly on offense. He will turn it around in time.

Technically it's 27ish, then it's typically downhill from there.

Also, Krokodil is the new bleach.

I assume you mean in hockey. Otherwise I'd have to disagree. Males peak physically in their early 30's if we're talking strength. Unless that is the individual doesn't take care of himself.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

His skating still isn't the best, but his reluctance/lack of confidence has made it look worse than it actually is. We saw him moving in preseason. We know he can do it...but he's just not moving his feet right now.

I assume you mean in hockey. Otherwise I'd have to disagree. Males peak physically in their early 30's if we're talking strength. Unless that is the individual doesn't take care of himself.

Yeah, for hockey.

Flyersfan731

Oct 23, 2013
A center who plays great defense and puts up 40-50 points a season is not a waste of the 8th pick in any draft.

I think it's funny that you already have Hamilton penciled in as becoming the highest minute playing defenseman in the league. Only two or three guys a season
play that much.

I just don't see coots putting those numbers up in the 3rd line

Flyersfan731

Oct 23, 2013
I don't know what you're expecting of the guy, to be a top offensive talent in the league while handling insanely hard defensive minutes at 20 years old? That doesn't really happen.

Edit: In fact, Bobby Clarke might be the only guy who has ever come close to doing what you apparently
expect.

I don't expect that for what he's doing I'm saying give him a different role

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
I just don't see coots putting those numbers up in the 3rd line

Because he hasn't yet? If you can't see the immense amount of hockey iq that couturier possesses, then I'm not sure what to tell you. A shutdown center hardly even approaches a waste at 8th overall and that's what he becomes at the very least. At best he's a ~50 point 2nd line center with stellar defensive play which is an invaluable player.

If this kid had been still playing in juniors putting up insane numbers since his draft year no one would be saying any of this, but since he did what few have the ability to and make an nhl roster as a productive valuable piece as an 18 year old and his offensive development has been slow you think for some reason this is an indication of what sort of player he's going to become.

I feel like I'm listening to someone calling WIP about the flyers.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
He's so young....

Wait and see what kind of player he is at 23 or 24.....

as of now, he's ahead of the curve... two seasons under your belt at 20 is quite impressive.

I wish he played for my team (Vcr) he would slot in so perfectly behind Sedin and Kesler...
He has a lot of time to develop

Flyersfan731

Oct 23, 2013
He's so young....

Wait and see what kind of player he is at 23 or 24.....

as of now, he's ahead of the curve... two seasons under your belt at 20 is quite impressive.

I wish he played for my team (Vcr)
he would slot in so perfectly behind Sedin and Kesler...
He has a lot of time to develop

True he does need time to develop but in Philly we don't have patience (bob) for instance

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
its avg. last year it was bad. he has improved immensely.

Come on, lets speak the truth between us. His poor skating went improved from a 4 on a scale of 1-10 to a 4.2. You make it sound like he's Pavel Bure all of a sudden. I haven't seen any improvement whatsoever to be honest.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
He arguably had the 2nd-3rd hardest minutes of any forward in the NHL last year...

His zone starts were stupid (32% own zone starts, 7th in the NHL) and his QoC was among the top ten for forwards.

He once again this year has the worst zonestarts on the team (after Rinaldo), and the hardest QoC on the team.

His top opponents last year were the Rags top line, Malkins line, Tavares, Kovalcuk, Elias, Staal and Semin.

The year before? Malkin, Neal, Kovalchuk, Tavares and Moulsen.

This year? The Sedin brothers, Crosby, Skinner and Staal.

He plays close to every shift against the best players in the NHL... and still has good Corsi, great last year, and positive this year somehow when the flyers have been abysmal.

He was also playing with extremely varied linemates all last year, with Rinaldo, Knuble, Talbot and Read... three of them do not help with any offence.

The year before he was playing with Talbot, Rinaldo, Shelley, Harry Z and Sestito most.

This year Talbot, Read and Rinaldo...

He put up 29 points playing with 4th liners in 11-12, and factored for 27 playing with 3 fourth liners and Matt Read last year.

No NHL 3rd liner put up 40 points in the last full season played... none, Chris Kelly was closest with 39, and he gets pretty easy minutes for a third liner due to Bostons top two being very good defensively... and has pretty decent linemates.

The only way Couts gets over 40 points this year is if he is moved up the lineup, the zone starts are evened out so he gets over 40%, Talbot is moved down and he is given a LW with some offensive acumen, or he gets extensive PP time.

He has not been put in a position to accumulate points, and you can see now that all he thinks about is defence as that is all he has been told to do for two years straight. He hardly ever gets up near the goaline or behind the net as he is covering back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->