News Article: Cooper: "(Palat) is like Patrice Bergeron as a winger to me."

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=35601
Palat was the runner-up for the Calder Trophy last season, but Lightning coach Jon Cooper believes Palat should be in the pool of Selke candidates too. Palat's play this season has bolstered Cooper's opinion that if Palat was a center he'd be a perennial Selke Trophy finalist.

"I'm just trying to help the team, play good defensively, because that's my game," Palat said. "That's always been my game. I have always been a responsible player. I take care of our net first and then we get to go on offense. But when you're playing with linemates like [Nikita] Kucherov and [Tyler] Johnson, we are in the offensive zone a lot of time so it's easier to be a plus player."
"I still believe Palat is the straw that stirs the drink on that line," Cooper said. "He's oozing with hockey sense and he's skilled. He is like Patrice Bergeron as a winger to me."
"When you're with him he's a quiet guy, he's unassuming," Cooper said. "But if you were to poll our team and ask for the role model for how to practice and play I would pretty much guarantee he would be the guy who would get all the votes. I can't speak for our team but I think so.

"He competes, he works, he produces and he doesn't say a word."

Houdas

Mining the Lightning
Aug 17, 2014
Prague/Ostrava
Glad to see that coaching staff shares my opinion.

In my statistics research I am focusing mainly on forwards and their defensive aspects of the game. Palat's not only the best on the team, he's one of the best in the league!

My corsi heart is crying happily

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Can't even say I'm surprised, remember most of the time a Johnson-Kucherov highlight goal started several seconds before with Palat doing the right thing.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Palat is a beast! always working hard along the boards, has some sweat hands too. He's never afraid to go to those dirty areas and get physical. Love this kid, hopefully he's around for a long time.

Damifino

Dec 23, 2013
FL Keys
"When you're with him he's a quiet guy, he's unassuming," Cooper said. "But if you were to poll our team and ask for the role model for how to practice and play I would pretty much guarantee he would be the guy who would get all the votes. I can't speak for our team but I think so.

Wonder what Stammer thinks of this comment. It's probably nothing but it is a bit of a shot.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009

Wonder what Stammer thinks of this comment. It's probably nothing but it is a bit of a shot.
He's probably putting his 1-team trade list in Yzerman's mailbox right now.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
I can't believe how this team keeps disrespecting their star players. Soon no one wants to play here. Cooper and Yzerman really need to learn who to treat star players. :shakehead

Obviously joking.

Were treating Kucherov, Johnson and Palat great. ;)

Edit: and I was completely caught by that one.

Hictor Vedman*

Unregistered Hedman
Sep 30, 2014
Ottawa
Were treating Kucherov, Johnson and Palat great. ;)

Edit: and I was completely caught by that one.
It's even worse that you didn't catch it when you were going to reply it. It wouldn't be in white in that box.

But the worst part is that it wasn't even about the three kids. He was talking about Stammer.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00