Player Discussion COOPER MARODY

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
I'll bE honest I don't know a lot about him and was wondering what his chances of making the team next season ? He was a point a game in the ncaa and played 3 games with the condors getting 3 points. Was just thinking could he take stromes 3rd line center position and we could maybe trade strome for a winger?

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I'll bE honest I don't know a lot about him and was wondering what his chances of making the team next season ? He was a point a game in the ncaa and played 3 games with the condors getting 3 points. Was just thinking could he take stromes 3rd line center position and we could maybe trade strome for a winger?
Yeah, a rookie at 3rd line Center, If he proves he can play Center at that level, strome will just be moved to the wing

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I think that's asking a bit much for him in his rookie pro season. I hope that he proves me wrong but if there is a cap crunch I could see Strome moved.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
I would imagine he's bound for Bakersfield.

I don't think it's a good idea to rely on late round picks playing their 1st season of pro hockey to be ready for prominent roles.

Reactions: nabob

JetsOilersfan

Feb 4, 2012
Coming from University he'll be physically and emotionally more mature to handle the pro game. I'd still like to see him start in Bakersfield (Like Caggiula should have) and earn a spot here. Strome is the defacto #3 center now (if they are able to re-sign him) and maybe after a year in the A Marody may be able to take Strome's place. We'll wait and see how he does in training camp I guess. Hopefully he'll be a pleasant surprise.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I could see him playing with us next year but not full time. He’s a candidate to earn a call up but he starts in Bakersfield. This is a player with real potential though.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
From all accounts, despite just getting 3 points, he's been creating a lot and his skating has been very impressive. The returns (atleast from Staples) is that Marody has played VERY well since turning pro

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Good hands, good vision but needs to improve his skating and play away from the puck. From what I've seen of him, he seems to float a lot away from the puck, NHL coaches won't take well to that. He's a bit too passive at times for my liking.

He has good offensive instincts though, very good positionally and has a knack for finding his way into scoring areas. He'll need a year in the AHL IMO but will need to see him in preseason to make a proper judgment.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Good hands, good vision but needs to improve his skating and play away from the puck. From what I've seen of him, he seems to float a lot away from the puck, NHL coaches won't take well to that. He's a bit too passive at times for my liking.

He has good offensive instincts though, very good positionally and has a knack for finding his way into scoring areas. He'll need a year in the AHL IMO but will need to see him in preseason to make a proper judgment.
Makes sense, I expect him to "challenge" for a roster spot, but in no way will I assume he makes the team at this point.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I don't know where this "very impressive" skating idea comes from Jimmi? Unless he picked up a gear or two between his seasons end in Michigan by the time that he got to Bako IMO skating is one of the things that he needs to work on, I agree with Cuppy on this.
My apologies, I watched some of the highlights and he looks like someone who could get around without issue.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
My apologies, I watched some of the highlights and he looks like someone who could get around without issue.

The real test will come in the preseason, many scouting reports point to his speed being a real strength but IMO it isn't at least not yet.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Fair enough, and I agree I want to see what he can do in camp, both Rookie and Main.

IMO he seems to be more of a heady player than Caggiula. Caggiula's game is built more on his speed grit and shot while Marody plays a more skilled and cerebral game. Hopefully we sign Vesel soon so that we have a couple of decent call-up options.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->