News Article: Cooke's Hardest Week

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Let me give this a shot..."How dare the Pittsburgh media paint Cooke as a sympathetic figure, he's the dirtiest dirball who ever dirted. He has not changed and the Pens are a hypocritical organization for giving him a paycheck. They are all bad and should feel bad."

Does that about cover it?

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
From the headline I thought that I would be reading about dude's packages again.

tumblr_lz2x6yWauD1rnf0oro1_500.gif

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
This article should go over well in Ottawa/Boston.
Boston has had their cast of dirty players in the past so they shouldn't be pointing the finger at anyone. Also if Milbury wants to talk about dirty players he should look at one of his past signings in Mike Peca.... there was a little karma going on when Darcy Tucker, a Don Cherry favorite, swept the leg.

Ottawa is just a joke. How long is the list of face palming BS they've done over the years? Add one more for the pre game the other night.

I have no idea what Cooke does behind the scenes but people come out of the wood work to hate this guy. I've seen a lot dirtier players than Cooke and I don't even think he's been the worst in the league. I remember seeing NHL PP on NHL Network last year and Bill Clement said he's never played with a player like Cooke. Are you friggin kidding me? The double standard is insane.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
The people who hate Cooke are going to be really pissed when they wake up one day and realize they've turned him into a sympathetic figure.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Cooke's past trangressions have led to his current reputation as a "villian". I probably sound like a jerk for saying this, but I really don't have much sympathy for the guy. He certainly earned the reputation that he has by playing the game "on the edge" and targeting certain players.

Axman

MoreSkilledThanYou
Feb 9, 2011
Matt Cookes questionable style of play would have been looked at a little differently years ago. The game has changed and Cooke has also changed albeit in the aftermath of an incident.

Cooke took responsibility. Although it has made him a much less intimidating player, he has skill and still contributes to the team. Some fans of other teams will never give Cooke the credit for cleaning up his game; I've seen it posted numerous times that he will duck fights and never face up for his actions. What about Evander Kane? He dropped the mitts and ate a fist because it was the right thing to do.

Cooke is an old school hockey player and I hope he can skate around the rink raising Lord Stanley's Cup to give the middle finger to all his haters.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Boston has had their cast of dirty players in the past so they shouldn't be pointing the finger at anyone. Also if Milbury wants to talk about dirty players he should look at one of his past signings in Mike Peca.... there was a little karma going on when Darcy Tucker, a Don Cherry favorite, swept the leg.

Ottawa is just a joke. How long is the list of face palming BS they've done over the years? Add one more for the pre game the other night.

I have no idea what Cooke does behind the scenes but people come out of the wood work to hate this guy. I've seen a lot dirtier players than Cooke and I don't even think he's been the worst in the league. I remember seeing NHL PP on NHL Network last year and Bill Clement said he's never played with a player like Cooke. Are you friggin kidding me? The double standard is insane.

If Milbury wants to talk about dirty players he should address the fact that he once beat an opposing fan with a shoe IN THE STANDS AT A ******* GAME.

Why people actually act like Milbury's an actual human being is beyond me.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Milbury is a hypocritical piece of garbage if you want to be brutally honest. What does he do there at NBC? He puts himself up on a pedestal of sorts and passes judgement on players, coaches, even GMs. This, from inarguably the worst General Manager in the history of the NHL. The man who made more collosally stupid moves and signings then any two GMs in the last 10 years. And he's an ******* besides (the kiddy game incident you mentioned).

Milbury is a noisy POS, and that's all he is. It's sad NBC hasn't found someone more respectable. I'd honestly rather listen to Barry Melrose ramble on about random **** with his greasy geezer-mullet than listen to Milbury.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Milbury is a hypocritical piece of garbage if you want to be brutally honest. What does he do there at NBC? He puts himself up on a pedestal of sorts and passes judgement on players, coaches, even GMs. This, from inarguably the worst General Manager in the history of the NHL. The man who made more collosally stupid moves and signings then any two GMs in the last 10 years. And he's an ******* besides (the kiddy game incident you mentioned).

Milbury is a noisy POS, and that's all he is. It's sad NBC hasn't found someone more respectable. I'd honestly rather listen to Barry Melrose ramble on about random **** with his greasy geezer-mullet than listen to Milbury.

They railed against him this week on Marek vs. Wyshynski for flip-flopping on Cooke and read his quote about what he said on the Cooke hit after it happened - which was overwhelmingly in praise of Cooke's hit. Milbury will say whatever he can to incense people, that's his only job and he obviously does a good job of it...it's just infuriating to people who actually watch and understand the sport that networks keep hiring these loudmouth buffoons in order to give talking points to the casual viewer. It's a shame ESPN never gobbled him up because he's perfect for that stupid network.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Yah you're probably right (about his intended purpose -- piss people off and get them talking) but all the same, are they professional sports broadcasters or aren't they? Hell, who does Al Michaels work for these days? Go get 68 year old Al Michaels (or whatever he is now)... put someone in there that earns respect instead of insults for chrissakes.

[Just went to get his age and he is 68, and just got a DUI... perfect for NBC! :laugh:]

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yah you're probably right (about his intended purpose -- piss people off and get them talking) but all the same, are they professional sports broadcasters or aren't they? Hell, who does Al Michaels work for these days? Go get 68 year old Al Michaels (or whatever he is now)... put someone in there that earns respect instead of insults for chrissakes.

[Just went to get his age and he is 68, and just got a DUI... perfect for NBC! :laugh:]

Sounds like, Lange.

"Buy Sam a drink, and get his dog one, too!"

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
You know what's funny about all the Cooke haters? Hypocrisy.

These people that call Cooke dirty and this and that, but wish him harm and injury, etc. What does that make the people saying that stuff?

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
I'm fine with people hating Cooke for what he did in the past. Savard etc. But the Karlsson thing couldn't have been less intentional.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
You know what's funny about all the Cooke haters? Hypocrisy.

These people that call Cooke dirty and this and that, but wish him harm and injury, etc. What does that make the people saying that stuff?

Proof of the fact that 99.9% of people on the internet are dumber than domesticated turkeys?

Also acceptable: Evidence of the terrible state of the North American educational system.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad