Line Combos: Convince me otherwise

embracedbias

Jan 11, 2009
Waterloo
How about this idea?

we stack our top 3 lines with all our offense, and put all our super-checkers on the 4th line.

Leivo - Matthews - Nylander
VanRyk - Kadri - Marner
Marleau - Bozak - Brown
Komarov - Moore - Hyman

Then you'll have a 4th line that never gets scored against (playing against other 4th lines), but weaker defense for the rest of the game.

Or you use it as a checking line, but that would take more icetime from our top players than my scheme.

embracedbias

Jan 11, 2009
Waterloo
No one rolls four lines.

This isn't Team Canada where the 4th line is better than any NHL team's first line.

You want the top two lines to receive heavier minutes rather than have them sit on their bums for large chunks.

I already showed that it would be a matter of maybe 40 seconds less per game on ES for the top 3 lines. Could easily be no less icetime for the Matthews line if it gets pulled from the Kadri and Bozak lines.

And, also, icetime would depend on performance on a given night. If the Bozak line can't get it together defensively, they'll see more bench. Good motivator.

If we really need a goal, Marleau can switch with Komarov and we can run 3 offensive lines.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Well, cudos to the OP for having Marleau at center - that's where he is now - at least for a little bit.

In one of the pressers, Marleau was asked about when he last played center and I think (??) he said last year he had a stretch if I'm not mistaken; but, importantly, his tone of voice was kind of like, well, yeah, I can play center if I have to - it's not a big deal. Of course, Marleau's tone of voice is always - kind of well - it's like 'everythings good/cool' is what I am meaning.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Marleau playing C really opens up a world of possibilities.

including the possibility of trading bozak to one ofnthe many teams out there desperate for scoring centers.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I like the lineup yesterday. The only line that I didn't see produce chances until the third and control the play of only one shift was Kadri's line. I'm still not sold on Komarov playing up that high. Should be on the 4th with Bozak and Marner. Might make for a good line

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
upload_2017-11-2_12-53-5.png

Same lineup tonight ?

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/toronto-maple-leafs/line-combinations

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Josh Leivo, Trevor Moore 2019 4th for Alex Petrovic
JVR for Picks
Try:
Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Marleau - Nylander - Brown (ease him in)
Komarov - Kadri - Kapanen
Martin - Bozak - Soshnikov

Rielly - Hainsey
Borgman - Zaitsev
Gardiner - Petrovic

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Josh Leivo, Trevor Moore 2019 4th for Alex Petrovic
JVR for Picks
Try:
Marleau - Nylander - Brown (ease him in)
Komarov - Kadri - Kapanen
Martin - Bozak - Soshnikov

Rielly - Hainsey
Borgman - Zaitsev
Gardiner - Petrovic
fla won't take spare parts for petrovic. he isn't worth a lot but he's worth something

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
Brown Mathews Marner
JVR Bozak Nylander
Marleau Kadri Kapanen
Martin/soshnikov Moore Hyman/leivo

I don't care about the 4th line...any combo of those 6 would work for me..
If lines 2 and 3 don't mesh perhaps switch Bozak and kadri..
Is this lineup so much worse defensively than what babcock uses?
Seems to me not.....and better offensively...
I want 2 lines that score.and 2 that hold their own....

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Martin Matthews Marner
JVR Nylander Kappy
Marleau Kadri Brown
Hyman Bozak Komo

AM and Marner would be magical. Not only would Martin be their protector, but can play hockey as well. Looked great together in the habs game and could see on the ice how much they loved playing together.

Nylander and Kappy had good chemistry before and JVR needs to be in the top 6.

3 rd line would be one of the better 200 ft lines in the NHL.

Hyman and Komo would help Bozak defensively. Nice 4th line with scoring ability. Ideal line for Hyman's strengths.

Your welcome Mr Babcock!

Last edited:

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Bozak should go for picks and make Aaltonen a regular C. He looks to be a very responsible player and probably even has more offensive flash at this point. Another thing is that if both Leivo and Sosh are going to be regulars, I'd rather have Kap play for Sosh more regularly.

JVR - Marleau - Nylander
Komarov - Kadri - Brown
Martin/Leivo - Aaltonen - Kapanen
Leivo/Martin, Sosh

Then next year work Leivo and Johnsson in as regulars to replace JVR and Komarov.

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
We have the prospects ti replace the ufa vets so continue with rebuild and get pick prospects so we need to raise value by giving chance to succeed.

Some things are starting to happen that i hoped for 34 and 16 together as 34 scores goals and 16 is a pure playmaker so finally they getting a chance even though i also love nylander with 34 but 29 can carry his own line.
Until ufa's are gone to me its bruttaly obvious who should be playing where if babs wasnt so stubborn (cant complain too much though with our record even though we havent played well).
Jvr matthews marner...34 line usually has puck so defensive woes arent as obvious
Marleau bozak nylander allows support for bozak
Hyman kadri brown intense yet skilled line
Any of komarov martin moore leivo sosh for 4th line
To me all makes too much sense

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Next year:

Korshkov - Matthews - Brown
Marleau - Nylander - Marner
Johnsson - Kadri - Kapanen
Martin - Aaltonen - Hyman

•Leivo and Sosh dealt for picks
•JVR, Bozak, Komarov, Moore walk
•Marchment, Timashov & Grundstrom are top call-up considerations

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Borgman - Dermott
Ozhiganov

•Rosen & Liljegren are top call-up options

Andersen
Pickard

•Sparks traded for a 3rd (teams will covet him after a monstrous AHL season)

Discordia

Nov 1, 2017
Marleau-Matthews-Marner //(Playmaker with two finishers; Matthews is good enough defensively to carry the load of Marleau and Marner)

JvR/Levio-Kadri-Brown //(Keeps the spirit of the Kadri/Komarov intact while providing more offense)

Soshi-Nylander-Kapanen //(Sheltered line. Eases Nylander into Center and Kapanen into full time. Soshi gets a chance at more TOI and provides a defensive aspect to back up Kapanen incase Nylander needs it)

Martin-Goat-Hyman //(Goat is a 4th liner. He's probably never going to be anything more than that. It's time he honed his craft in the NHL. Hyman gets put on his right side, after adjustments he can move up if warranted. Martin is Martin)

I think Kappy and Goat are ready to graduate. I think Johnson can be mid-season callup/injury replacement. I don't see anyone else on F ready to graduate.

If we keep JvR then he can slot into Leivo's spot and Leivo can share duty with Soshi.

Centers:
Matthews
Kadri
Nylander
Goat
--
Greening
Aaltonen

Right Wing:
Marner
Brown
Kapanen