Line Combos: Convince me otherwise

embracedbias

Jan 11, 2009
Waterloo
Reason why this wont work is that Mathews and Nylander line should be out there for almost half of the game. Marner should be out there too, and then Kadri, JVR and Marleu should be out there almost as much. When you roll the 4 lines Mathews will not play as much, neither will marner but they should be out there as much as possible. Why not maximize the minutes of our best players on lines that will have higher ice time? Then use utility players such as Moore, Martin and Soshnikov on lines with lower minutes that way our best players can be out there longer instead of wasting talent like Marleau or Kadri on 4th line minutes. Thats the philosophy of most coaches in the league.

Should they though? Why not spread the offense, lower likelihood of injuries, and keep the players fresh for playoffs?

embracedbias

Jan 11, 2009
Waterloo
I don't think in theory it's all that bad. But, PK and PP (almost) always takes away minutes and disrupts the rhythm and ability to just roll out 4 lines and distribute the time evenly. The opposing team will capitalize with a better line (top 9) out against a 4th line constantly looking for a mismatch. Not that your proposed 4th line looks like a mismatch! Hmmm, maybe it's ahead of it's time; we aren't ready for 4 line hockey yet!

I agree. It's definitely ahead of its time

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'd agree.

Also if you're spreading out the minutes that much to warrant Marleau being on the 4th line, you'd also likely not be playing Matthews/Nylander as much as you could.

Not enough minutes in a regulation game to allow a 4th line to be a factor.

Matthews Line : 18 minutes
Kadri Line: 18 minutes
Bozak Line: 16 minutes
4th line : 8 minutes

Total TOI/g = 60 minutes

Really no value stripping Leafs 2 X top lines down to 16 minutes to play your 4th line 12 minutes. You want your best players getting 18-20 minutes a night.

That is why a 4th line is mainly your grinders and PKers to get their 8-12 minutes of TOI/g.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
That's not the question now is it?

Well you wanted convincing why your idea is not likely to fly. ;)

Your strategy would be to better build 3 X high powered lines giving them all 18 minutes a night and rotating them.

That = 54 minutes of 60 minutes and use your 4th line the balance of the 6 minutes or less remaining.

Why would you want to take TOI/g away from Matthews, Nylander and Marner etc in order to play a 4th line with Marleau on it, and if he is your highest paid player you want him getting 14+ minutes a night not the basic 6-8 minutes a 4th line gets?.

Break down the icetime per line and you will see a 3 line and not a 4 line strategy works better with talented offensive players.

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
The following possibility has not entered the discussion. It's so crazy that it might work.

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
JVR - Bozak - Marner
Komarov - Kadri - Brown
Leivo - Marleau - Kapanen

Roll all 4 lines. By the 2nd or 3rd period, line #4 = whichever line isn't working on a given night (constant fight for icetime for the 4 lines).

We lose Moore but Kapanen can PK.

We lose physicality in Martin.

We put a vet with a big paycheck on (ostensibly) the 4th line... potential media circus and distraction, but if he can get 15-16 minutes per night all will be well. (Might not be possible)

Agree or disagree?

[Merge if you so desire, mods. Worth a new thread in my view.]

I like the concept. Very cool, and would keep everyone accountable. The downside being if all 4 lines were on fire, I could see it being frustrating for whichever one is playing well, but is still not getting as much ice time.

I think people are quick to scoff at it because traditionally fourth lines are shutdown lines, but things grow and change all the time (like how using 4 forwards and 1 D on the PP is the norm now, whereas before it was considered too risky.)

Like I said, I think it's a really cool idea, and one that we might see teams start to implement in the future as the league gets further away from fighting.

embracedbias

Jan 11, 2009
Waterloo
Well you wanted convincing why your idea is not likely to fly. ;)

Your strategy would be to better build 3 X high powered lines giving them all 18 minutes a night and rotating them.

That = 54 minutes of 60 minutes and use your 4th line the balance of the 6 minutes or less remaining.

Why would you want to take TOI/g away from Matthews, Nylander and Marner etc in order to play a 4th line with Marleau on it, and if he is your highest paid player you want him getting 14+ minutes a night not the basic 6-8 minutes a 4th line gets?.

Break down the icetime per line and you will see a 3 line and not a 4 line strategy works better with talented offensive players.

First thing we should get out of the way is that the ES lines won't change PP or PK icetime.

ES TOI per game looked like this last year:

Hyman (13:44) - Matthews (15:09) - Nylander (13:38)
JVR (13:26) - Bozak (13:58) - Marner (14:17)
Komarov (12:51) - Kadri (14:21) - Brown (12:58)
Martin (8:32) - Boyle (10:10)/Smith (9:18)/Gauthier (8:33) - Soshnikov (9:05)

Even using the same scheme as last year, Marleau is looking at about 2:30 minutes less ES as the "4th line" C as the "3rd line" LW.

However, this is not taking into account my idea that icetime for the lines would change depending on performance on any given night. One could easily imagine a couple of minutes per night being pulled from the Matthews/Bozak/Kadri lines (in total... i.e., 40 seconds a night from each. Or maybe a minute from Bozak's line and 45 seconds from Kadri's and 15 from Matthews', etc.).

And, anyway, this is until some sort of injury occurs.

Plenty of icetime to go around and having 4 lines that can genuinely score would be hell to defend against.

It's a good idea.

Last edited:

embracedbias

Jan 11, 2009
Waterloo
I like the concept. Very cool, and would keep everyone accountable. The downside being if all 4 lines were on fire, I could see it being frustrating for whichever one is playing well, but is still not getting as much ice time.

I think people are quick to scoff at it because traditionally fourth lines are shutdown lines, but things grow and change all the time (like how using 4 forwards and 1 D on the PP is the norm now, whereas before it was considered too risky.)

Like I said, I think it's a really cool idea, and one that we might see teams start to implement in the future as the league gets further away from fighting.

I could see it being frustrating for Marleau. But he would be getting PP time. And, anyway, he's 38 years old and we need him fresh for the playoffs.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan

Total TOI/g = 60 minutes

Really no value stripping Leafs 2 X top lines down to 16 minutes to play your 4th line 12 minutes. You want your best players getting 18-20 minutes a night.

That is why a 4th line is mainly your grinders and PKers to get their 8-12 minutes of TOI/g.

Yes, I agree with Mess - it's kind of what I was wanting to say in my first response post - there isn't enough ice time to go around basically for 4 lines. Giving ALL lines equal time is a nice concept in theory, but, you end up shortchanging your one or two best lines in order to do it!

It might be (or some version of it) strategy for teams that do NOT have big differences in talent between their 1st and 4th lines though- maybe!

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Marleau isn't a 4th liner, and he isn't a C either. Sure he can take the odd faceoff but that's why he'd be great with Kadri.

What I'd like to see:

Marleau - Kadri - Marner
JVR - Bozak - Brown
Kapanen - Moore - Komarov
Martin

I really like this. I still hold the same opinion for the more distant future in wanting to see Matthews-Marner and Nylander centring his own line, but I really like this set up.

Matthews and Nylander have shown insane chemistry so far.

Marleau is just as good of a finisher as JVR, but better defensively and Kadri the same as Bozak in this comparison but better offensively AND defensively which not only gives Marner defensive coverage and ability to learn to play even better defence, but his numbers probably shoot up.

I also like this. It shelters JVR and Bozak giving them favourable match-ups and Brown is a better defensive forward than Marner.

The last line is the only line I don't like. Would prefer Aaltonen for skating and offensive ability over Moore.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013

Total TOI/g = 60 minutes

Perfect spot for a guy like Hyman at 1.3 MIL

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
I want to see that JVR/Bozak/Marner line split up. It's not going to happen, but maybe put JVR on the top line with Matthews and Nylander, and slot Marner alongside Kadri and Marleau. Give Bozak Hyman and Brown/Komarov on his wings.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
marleau as the 4C isn't a good idea. the leafs need lw and that's his natural position so keep him there. i'd put moore as the 4C instead. i like the idea that martin is a healthy scratch. this lineup could work if the forwards were playing roughly 15 minutes a game. very balanced idea.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
I really like this.....
The last line is the only line I don't like. Would prefer Aaltonen for skating and offensive ability over Moore.

That "3-Fin" line of Kapanen-Aaltonen-Komorov is something I've been thinking of for a while now…

Last edited:

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I want to see that JVR/Bozak/Marner line split up. It's not going to happen, but maybe put JVR on the top line with Matthews and Nylander, and slot Marner alongside Kadri and Marleau. Give Bozak Hyman and Brown/Komarov on his wings.
jvr and bozak had careers years alongside marner so they should be kept there

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Marleau can play C

The rest is just you stating the opposite opinion.

(Keeping in mind that I'm not saying that this is what Babcock would ever do)

When has Marleau played centre? Why would we use him at centre when we have actual centres to play there? What makes you think he would be better as a centre? Why would we waste Marleau playing on the 4th line? This is profoundly dumb.

I could see it being frustrating for Marleau. But he would be getting PP time. And, anyway, he's 38 years old and we need him fresh for the playoffs.

He doesn't need to be relegated to 4th line minutes to be "fresh" for the playoffs. He is perfectly capable of playing top 6 minutes.

So, you think Marleau should be played as a 4th line C because:

1. He can allegedly play centre. Despite the fact that he's obviously better as a winger, and we have easily better alternatives to fulfill the duties of a 4th line centre.

2. It will spread out scoring. The scoring is already well balanced. Teams don't chuck their best offensive players on the 4th line for this inane reason.

3. Playing less minutes will keep him fresh. Despite that up until this point in his career this hasn't been a problem, his conditioning is great, and he still skates well.

You've convinced yourself that this is clever. It isn't. It's stupid.

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
jvr and bozak had careers years alongside marner so they should be kept there

They're fun to watch offensively when they're rolling, but they leave a lot to be desired defensively. It's better to maybe swap either JVR or Marner for a more defensively responsible player on that line.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I do like the gutsy idea of adding that much skill to the fourth line.

But I also agree with those who don't see that lineup happening. Martin is going to be in the lineup. That's just happening. Babcock wants him there and he's played well enough in the preseason that I don't see anything changing in the coach's mind. And there is the issue of icetime. The top 3 lines are strong enough offensively that you want them out there as much as you can. While you can bulk up the fourth line and shift bodies around....that's going to eat into the ice time of the other lines.

Fourth line C is going to be a guy like Aaltonen, Moore, or maybe Fehr. Not Marleau.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The following possibility has not entered the discussion. It's so crazy that it might work.

JVR - Bozak - Marner
Komarov - Kadri - Brown
Leivo - Marleau - Kapanen

Roll all 4 lines. By the 2nd or 3rd period, line #4 = whichever line isn't working on a given night (constant fight for icetime for the 4 lines).

We lose Moore but Kapanen can PK.

We lose physicality in Martin.

We put a vet with a big paycheck on (ostensibly) the 4th line... potential media circus and distraction, but if he can get 15-16 minutes per night all will be well. (Might not be possible)

Agree or disagree?

[Merge if you so desire, mods. Worth a new thread in my view.]

How about this idea?

we stack our top 3 lines with all our offense, and put all our super-checkers on the 4th line.

Leivo - Matthews - Nylander
VanRyk - Kadri - Marner
Marleau - Bozak - Brown
Komarov - Moore - Hyman

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
No one rolls four lines.

This isn't Team Canada where the 4th line is better than any NHL team's first line.

You want the top two lines to receive heavier minutes rather than have them sit on their bums for large chunks.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
No one rolls four lines.

This isn't Team Canada where the 4th line is better than any NHL team's first line.

You want the top two lines to receive heavier minutes rather than have them sit on their bums for large chunks.

And even with such players at their disposal, not even Team Canada rolls four lines equally. They use the fourth line primarily as a defensive or checking line.

You ideally want all four line to be able to play, yes. You don't throw one of your best wingers into the 4C position to spread out the offense trying to fix a problem that isn't there.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
How about this idea?

we stack our top 3 lines with all our offense, and put all our super-checkers on the 4th line.

Leivo - Matthews - Nylander
VanRyk - Kadri - Marner
Marleau - Bozak - Brown
Komarov - Moore - Hyman
I like this although I'm not sure if Leivo should be on the first line. Perhaps switch him with Marleau. Komarov and Hyman need to pushed to the 4th line.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Hi guys, what are the odds that Nylander flanks Matthews all season? Trying to figure out some pool picks. Thanks! Seeing as you guys watch 2 of the 3 guys that I must decide between in a box more than anyone, who would you take to score the most points this season, Nylander, Marner or Gaudreau?

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
Line changing is gamesmanship, it’s trying to keep your opponent off balance. So, What if the Leafs went completely outside the box, and double shifted Matthews when the situation called for it? It would obviously require Auston to have the ability to do it, but who is to say he can’t? And Babcock can manage it depending on the score, the situation and the matchup. If the 4th line C is playing well, maybe you don’t need to do it as much, but if I can’t see how more #34 on the ice instead of Moore or any other option could hurt. I’m sure there is a way to squeeze in a few more shifts for him and really mess up the opposition. Keep the real 4th line C in the lineup and just maximize Matthews as much as possible throughout the game, for as much as he can handle. Could pay dividends in the long run.

embracedbias

Jan 11, 2009
Waterloo
When has Marleau played centre? Why would we use him at centre when we have actual centres to play there? What makes you think he would be better as a centre? Why would we waste Marleau playing on the 4th line? This is profoundly dumb.

He doesn't need to be relegated to 4th line minutes to be "fresh" for the playoffs. He is perfectly capable of playing top 6 minutes.

So, you think Marleau should be played as a 4th line C because:

1. He can allegedly play centre. Despite the fact that he's obviously better as a winger, and we have easily better alternatives to fulfill the duties of a 4th line centre.

2. It will spread out scoring. The scoring is already well balanced. Teams don't chuck their best offensive players on the 4th line for this inane reason.

3. Playing less minutes will keep him fresh. Despite that up until this point in his career this hasn't been a problem, his conditioning is great, and he still skates well.

You've convinced yourself that this is clever. It isn't. It's stupid.

Marleau can play center. He has plenty of C experience.

I'm not looking to spread out scoring. I'm looking to ice the best 12 forwards possible. This is how to do that. Martin and Moore on the bench. Leivo and Kapanen in the game.

Conditioning is great and he skates well. Yes. Also 38. Has he been 38 before?

Lots of words. No substance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad