OT: Controversial and Mundane Hockey Opinion Thread

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Give me your most outrageous, provocative, dumbest opinion about the Oilers, the NHL or hockey in general. Then your lamest, lowest-stakes one.

I'll start: they should abolish the salary cap. Let the big dogs run.

Next: they need to go back to white jerseys at home.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
We should go back to our WHA roots and rename the team the Alberta Oilers.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
As much as everyone shits on them for how they handle players, Vegas still has the right mindset. Hockey is a business. If feelings get hurt then tough shit.

Reactions: Beerfish

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Hockey, and the NHL is so poorly run and orgs typically so nepotistic and braindead that expansion franchises are typically more successful than established ones. This started a long time ago and when orgs like the Flyers and Islanders were cleaning up on the rest of the league and longstanding established clubs. Now its teams like Vegas and Seattle that are better run and organized than probably 75% of NHL established clubs. It says something about incompetence of established orgs that they are so easily beaten.

Back in 79-80 it was the Oilers, Nordiques, Whalers finding some success despite the odds and despite a brutal entry requirement that only allowed WHA merged clubs to keep two skaters and a goalie. Despite this impediment the Oilers and Nordiques particularly quickly gained ground while NHL blowhard managers were loudly harrumphing that this Gretzky kid won't last a year in the NHL. Theres no way that the upstart Oilers should have managed to put a dynasty together in the 80's. They had to build up from ground level and getting key players while the rest of the NHL was sleeping on drafts and recruitment.

I don't know what it is specifically that causes the NHL in particular to be so often run by dillweeds that limit the success of their respective orgs. Any team that had a reset clause every decade where they just flushed everybody, and I mean everybody from the management, coaching, scouting department and started over with the right head would beat the house consistently. So evident that orgs should start putting this together in the NHL. Blow it up good, start over, every decade. Would help mitigate the rot that infects NHL orgs so commonly.

The NHL is probably the worst run pro league in North America. I guess this isn't a controversial view at all, but would be nice if even half the clubs ever had their shit together.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Give me your most outrageous, provocative, dumbest opinion about the Oilers, the NHL or hockey in general. Then your lamest, lowest-stakes one.

We have a useless owner who seems to hire his "buddies' and friends into important positions on the team.

Oh, wait, you said outrageous, provocative and dumb opinions or statements. Sorry.;)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Next.

Others have mentioned there should be a redo on a second pro league in North America akin to WHA. until recentlly a lot of old buildings that WHA used to play in still available and still with suitable markets for a pro league.

As a WHA fan I'm repulsed that a member team that once countered the NHL and played in an upstart league had an owner that required the City of Edmonton to agree to such draconian terms that there could be no other entertainment of any kind taking place at Rexall place. Deeming it obsolete and non compeition. This is a City bought and paid for facility that was mothballed due to this disgusting agreement. That the City now has to pay 38M to demolish when its still usable.

That this all occurred in a former WHA market that embraced competition is a disgrace. Lawsuits should occur to challenge such agreements as being blatantly anti competitive and protectionist.

Essentially we're now trapped in the NHL where no Canadian team ever wins in Bettman US catering hell. With the Stanley Cup itself being stolen from Canada. Another lawsuit to require the NHL to relinquish the cup which was donated to Canada would be interesting.

A new league should be affordable, offer another location for players that are good but not good enough to stick in NHL and also have some marquee players that are. Just like the former NHL. Fans would have the option to attend a league where results weren't so rigged by US interests and where they weren't so gouged by ticket prices, concessions, parking prices etc.

The Oilers and Edmonton got one decade where if felt like joining the NHL was a great thing. Since then it has been pretty mixed blessing and we were possibly better off with still having the old league.

Not sure if I'm the only one but I also enjoyed the Canadian division season. Except the playoffs which again was the Winnipeg jets winning (WHA fans will get that quip)

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
we have 3 years and then we start another rebuild and due to trading away so many picks---it could take another ten years to get back into the playoffs. If we do not start winning shortly, I can see both McDavid and Leon asking for trades

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

outrageous, provocative > I started what has become the Fire Woody thread 2 months into his first full season.

dumbest > The Oilers would go 8-1-1 in this current 10 game stretch, with Dallas being the auto-loss. We are 0-1-2 and play the auto-loss game tonight.

the NHL > Gary Bettman is an evil elf whose only job is to drive profits and franchise values through the roof for the owners at the expense of the game.

hockey in general > I cant because I already took a 3 month perma-ban for saying it in the Capitals forum

lamest > The Oilers concession prices are very reasonable

lowest-stakes > Connor McDavid is the best player on the planet

Last edited:
Reactions: Drivesaitl

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
Here's one for you all from The Drops!

F*** offside! Seriously, get rid of it. :)

It slows games down, wastes time, and prevents goals from being scored. Not to mention the NHL has no clue how it's actually supposed to work anyway. I don't care if not having it would allow teams to walk into the opposite zone spam offensive chances! Offside is a stupid rule and hockey would be even more entertaining without it!

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Next.

Others have mentioned there should be a redo on a second pro league in North America akin to WHA. until recentlly a lot of old buildings that WHA used to play in still available and still with suitable markets for a pro league.
Not sure if I'm the only one but I also enjoyed the Canadian division season. Except the playoffs which again was the Winnipeg jets winning (WHA fans will get that quip)

This leads me to my next idea: reduce the NHL to 16 teams and introduce promotion/relegation with a second tier league called the NHA or something for the other 16 clubs.

we have 3 years and then we start another rebuild and due to trading away so many picks---it could take another ten years to get back into the playoffs. If we do not start winning shortly, I can see both McDavid and Leon asking for trades

I don't think that's particularly controversial, but I am coming around to the idea that we should trade one of them since blowing out the front office and ownership isn't likely to happen.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
This leads me to my next idea: reduce the NHL to 16 teams and introduce promotion/relegation with a second tier league called the NHA or something for the other 16 clubs.

We do that now. It’s called the playoffs.
:nod:

• Haha
Reactions: Drivesaitl

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

It slows games down, wastes time, and prevents goals from being scored. Not to mention the NHL has no clue how it's actually supposed to work anyway. I don't care if not having it would allow teams to walk into the opposite zone spam offensive chances! Offside is a stupid rule and hockey would be even more entertaining without it!

Great idea. I was thinking that myself after the McDavid offside fiasco. It’s really a rule from a bygone era. Who cares where the players are. A goal is a goal is a goal.

Reactions: 94 Oil Drops

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Same rules as Football then where the only offside is if the player is beyond any defenders at moment of pass wherever they are on field?

For entertainment value I don't mind it for an interesting look but when considering the Oilers D and defending I don't much like it. We'd be getting burned more while making less of those rink long passes.

Another interesting idea would be for OT format to feature your idea of no offside. More dramatic killshots that way and probably faster too.

I love football and for one reason the artistry of a team playing tic tac passing and then setting the trigger for the long ball unexpected pass that changes everything. Football has an entertaining flow and potential for that reason. Football with bluelines would be unimaginable, and clearly worse.

Would be interesting for some rung of hockey to follow this idea. I think it could be a fan favorite while also teaching and reinforcing more skills in players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad