Speculation: Contracts for Boedker and Smith

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
What do you think they are worth? Comparables?

Boedker is on pace for 50 points in an 82 game season. $4 million per?

Smith is struggling. He may walk ala Bryz. Without those 4 shutouts, his stats are abysmal. How do you value the guy?

albertabound

Jan 25, 2008
I think Boeds is 3.75m per season for 3 and Smith...? I personally feel he was a 1 year superstar(last year) and he will never be any better then what he is now, good back up. Prove me wrong Smith.:sarcasm:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'd go 6 years, $25 million on Boedker. I don't see him progressing or regressing much. About 4 a year is where I peg him at. Korpikoski needs a new deal too. I'd give him term, because he is a tremendously useful player. 6 years, $14 million would be ideal. Lock those two up so you don't have to worry about the 2/3 LW slots.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
You don't see Bods with more upside to give? 70 points a'la Whitney is not possible for him?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
You don't see Bods with more upside to give? 70 points a'la Whitney is not possible for him?

With better linemates, sure. I just don't see the cutthroat urgency in him to make him a point per game style winger. He is very talented and plays well away from the puck, so I think he is easily worth $4 mil a year. Whether or not Boedker wants to sign for six years is another story. I think the OEL deal works in our favor there. Do not underestimate the appeal of term versus raw salary for players that aren't surefire stars. Guaranteed money is always better than money that never materializes. Ask any NFL player.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
Sign Smith one more year at 2M. He can either prove himself or we go goalie searching :(

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
With better linemates, sure.

I look at it as like a career year peak situation. He could do it, but probably not over stretch of 3 seasons.

Not concerned much about Boedker's deal regardless. The team has shown they are willing to play homegrown talent that fits and plays their type of game.

Three years, eleven million for Smith seems fair.

Wouldn't give him more than 2 years the way he's playing right now. If he walks he walks.

I said 3.3 per in the other thread, but if he picks it up through the finish here that number should go up.

Sign Smith one more year at 2M. He can either prove himself or we go goalie searching :(

If he took a 1yr deal (which I don't think he would do) then it would almost certainly have to be for more money. 4m or so.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
I feel that Boeds and Korpi deserve a contract (yeah, I know an understatement), but Smith needs to play for a contract. ATM, I think Bishop can replace Smith (for a lot cheaper) and would prefer both here. I'm also starting to think that Chris Mason could be a cheaper replacement. And then there will be buy outs...

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Alright so maybe ten million on a three year or seven and a half on a two year?

If it comes to 100 or 200k it probably doesn't make much difference. The third year is my big concern at this very moment. If Smith plays better this last bit of the season then 3 years is probably okay.

My big worry is that if they sign Smith to a 3 year deal and he stinks it up AND keep Labarbera we are super screwed. The way they keep Bissonette around is similar to the way they keep Labarbera. So right now I'm thinking they are gonna retain him. Ever since Tellqvist they seem to like having a strictly backup type guy around too.

Great Smith + Labarbera is workable. Even Average Smith probably. But as of right now I don't want those guys to be option 1 and 2.

Though really, if they actually jettison Labarbera and bring in another Burke Project till one of the prospects are ready my worry about Smith's deal goes away completely. Bring someone in who fosters competition. DM seems to like competition so I'd think he'd be willing to do that.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Any interest in Ryan Miller? I could see him resigning after 2 years for a discount being out on the west coast. Obviously a large upgrade over Smith and would excel in a more defensive system and team that plays defense unlike Buffalo.
What would the Coyotes be willing to trade.

Buffalo needs draft picks, young wingers with top 6 potential (under 26) and a two way defenseman under 26

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Any interest in Ryan Miller? I could see him resigning after 2 years for a discount being out on the west coast. Obviously a large upgrade over Smith and would excel in a more defensive system and team that plays defense unlike Buffalo.

Buffalo needs draft picks, young wingers with top 6 potential (under 26) and a two way defenseman under 26

Wouldn't give you anything of value. The Coyotes are not in a position to pay a goalie 6+ million. Go make the inevitable happen and trade him to Detroit.

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
I'd give Boeds roughly 3.5M per for 3-4 years.

Jury is still out on whether I'd even want Smith back or not. Some interesting names pending in free agency that could maybe be had for cheaper than Smith while providing what Smith is giving his year.

Can't see us paying 6 mil on a goalie next year. Considering how well Bryz throwing teammates under the bus went in the locker room I'm not sure Miller would be the kind of personality we'd want back there.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'm alright with Smith. I do dislike LaBarbera, though. I'm with you guys on that. I'd really like to keep Smith at a reasonable price, on a shorter deal and add a competent back up. Don't get the Bissonnette hate, though. He's getting better at hockey. He doesn't hurt the team. If you are going to have a goon in the 13th forward spot, it might as well he him.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

Zero interest in Miller. None.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
I hate to say it but i am starting to question Smith. Is it really our defense? I have no clue. Our defense looks amazing on paper, but i guess i should begin to question them too. The only Dmen that have really stood out to me this year are OEL, Morris, and Schlemko pre-inury. The rest don't look like their normal selves. Then again, neither does Smitty. I mean our goals against lately have been terrible. It's hard to pinpoint.

All i know is this team doesn't have a finisher. Hanzal has been MIA, as well as Sullivan. Doan has been hot, but he's never really been counted on to put up high numbers. Boedker works his ass off every night, even if he's not scoring he's helping. I want a significant contract extension for him. I thinm Vermette just needs someone to pass to, because he is a talented hard working playee, just seems to have nobody that keeps up with him, which leads to passes to the boards rather than a winger. When Vrbata comes back, how much will it really help? The dude should not have to carry this team offensively.

We need a goal scorer, plain and simple, or kiss the playoffs goodbye.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I'm alright with Smith. I do dislike LaBarbera, though. I'm with you guys on that. I'd really like to keep Smith at a reasonable price, on a shorter deal and add a competent back up. Don't get the Bissonnette hate, though. He's getting better at hockey. He doesn't hurt the team. If you are going to have a goon in the 13th forward spot, it might as well he him.

It's not really so much hate from my end, it's hate on how often he plays. 13th forwards don't play 2/3's of your games like Bissonette is. If he were down to 40% or so, preferably home games, I'd be fine.

Also I was merely referencing him as to the reason why they might unfortunately keep Labarbera around. They seem to like the good clubhouse types in those spots that don't play every game, which does make some sense.

Also if they do not re-sign Smith I think it's almost certain they re-up Labarbera for some measure of continuity.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I wouldn't be surprised if Mike Smith gets the kind of deal lots of people didn't expect will happen as a result of not only what he did in the playoffs last season but also is given a free pass on his performace overall this season due to not only a short season but also the ownership mess as well.

One thing is certain though. If the Coyotes get back into the playoffs again and Smith pulls off another deep playoff run for the team; expect someone to pay out the ass for him if he is not resigned before the end of the regular season.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I'm fine with pretty much any deal on Boedker, mostly because I'm extremely confident it will be reasonable on both sides and the kid will have no problems being worth it.

Smith on the other hand, I'm definitely worried about him. Not giving up on him but if he doesn't regain last years form, I wouldn't be comfortable them giving him big money much less a long contract. Jury is still out and hopefully Smitty (and the rest of the team) can get going again but if not and I'm DM, I let Smith know any contract here is going to be pedestrian and if he's not interested I start exploring other options.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I wouldn't be surprised if Mike Smith gets the kind of deal lots of people didn't expect will happen as a result of not only what he did in the playoffs last season but also is given a free pass on his performace overall this season due to not only a short season but also the ownership mess as well.

One thing is certain though. If the Coyotes get back into the playoffs again and Smith pulls off another deep playoff run for the team; expect someone to pay out the ass for him if he is not resigned before the end of the regular season.

Smith's market value is tanking by the day. I hope he plays better soon. I wonder how Burke/Tip/DM would assess his play so far? I don't think he gets a pass for short season/no owner.IMHO, If he was a UFA today, he would get 3 mill and 2 to 3 years, total value 9 mill. If he plays better and plays well in the playoffs, he gets 5 mill for 5 years, 25 mill total value. I think his next contract swings (16 million) that much based on the next 19 games and playoffs, weather we are in or out. I bet DM would have extended him at 5 years and 4 million before this season started. A safe 20 million versus the predicament he is in now...Who would of thought...

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
At the current rate he shouldn't extend him for anything more than $6m for 2 years. Even that is generous given that his output has fallen so dramatically this season.

You don't give $4m/yr contracts to goalies with sub .900 save pct. Unless you're the Islanders and we all know that logic and science is skewed on the Island.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I think this is just a rough season thus far for Smith. His 2.86 GA/.900 SV% are not only down from last year (2.21/.930) but also from his career avgs (2.59/.913). And last year he was really good in the regular season, but incredible in the playoffs (1.99/.944).

I wouldn't write him off in any way. 3 years/$10-12M sounds fair to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad