Contracts for Athanasiou, Mantha & Bertuzzi

RedWingzz

Everybody loves Raymond
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I'd put a $7milX7yr in front of him right now and hope he bites.

(EDIT: Mantha that is)

I think Yzerman needs to start negotiating right now before it's too late. Mantha looks motivated. Not many big guys have that ombination of skill/speed/hands/shot. The big thing with him is consistency, but he looks motivated right now.

I don't think he would sign a 7x7. I think maybe a 5 year deal at 7.5 would get it done though.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
one-billiondollars-one-billion-dollars-misc-quickmeme-53083078.png

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I think Yzerman needs to start negotiating right now before it's too late. Mantha looks motivated. Not many big guys have that ombination of skill/speed/hands/shot. The big thing with him is consistency, but he looks motivated right now.

I don't think he would sign a 7x7. I think maybe a 5 year deal at 7.5 would get it done though.
Best thing for Yzerman is to let things play thru...Lets not be a Dubas, and offer blank checks...This isn't Toronto...Keep in mind Mantha will be a RFA after this season - however he'll have arbitration rights...There's a good chance Mantha could still pull a Drouin sometime mid-season.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
I don't think Mantha looks only more motivated. He could just look Mike Barwis -trained. His better physics gives him better confidence.
totally agreeing . the old redwing holland training method was bench and squat as much as you can plus ride the bike . ive said it forever our training was weak then soon as yzerman got here he set off alarms about the matter and immeadiately fixed it

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
Best thing for Yzerman is to let things play thru...Lets not be a Dubas, and offer blank checks...This isn't Toronto...Keep in mind Mantha will be a RFA after this season - however he'll have arbitration rights...There's a good chance Mantha could still pull a Drouin sometime mid-season.
mantha is an extremely different case . theres less than 5 guys on earth with that size-coordination-ruggedness-skates-confidence-fire in veins . i dont care if we over pay i want an 8X on the table yesterday . i rate mantha the most valuable player in this organization . though maybe larkins as valuable .

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
mantha is an extremely different case . theres less than 5 guys on earth with that size-coordination-ruggedness-skates-confidence-fire in veins . i dont care if we over pay i want an 8X on the table yesterday . i rate mantha the most valuable player in this organization . though maybe larkins as valuable .

Put the booze down pal. Mantha is more valuable then Larkin? Really you think so? Mantha is a good player he really is but I would caution overpaying him. He looks motivated for literally the first time in his career which magically so happens to be a contract year.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Second update after same game:

NHL season-ending, 8 games, 8+7 = 15 points
WHC Canada, 9 games, 7+7 = 14 points
NHL-preseason, 3 games, 4+0 = 4 points
New NHL season, 2 games, 5+2 = 7 points
---------------------------------
Total, 22 games, 24 goals, 15 assists = 39 points.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
As I said earlier.....
I can only imagine what the Mantha fanboys are thinking right now .....

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Make it 8 years/8M for Mantha and it will include his career prime from 25 years to 33 year old. There's nothing wrong on that deal.

Everybody would just love that deal. Larkin will pass him with higher salary on his next contract. Both are important.

I was calling for one more Elite player for our organization. I think we did find him.

Reactions: decaguard

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Second update after same game:

Fast update - last 22 games:

22 games, 24 goals, 15 assists = 39 points.
Made 8 years and 8M for Mantha and it will include his career prime from 25 years to 33 year old. There's nothing wrong on that deal.

Everybody would just love that deal. Larkin will pass him with higher salary on his next contract.
How about we let the season play out, and re-visit this topic Jan 2nd 2020 where we have had roughly 30 plus games played ?

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Feel free to revisit. I'm quite sure Mantha isn't scoring a 150-point season overall.
Damn I wish he could...But coming back down to planet Earth...Yeah - it's great to see Mantha racking up points, but I certainly don't wish to see any knee-jerk reactions by Yzerman/Mantha in getting a deal done that could potentially look bad for either side.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
Put the booze down pal. Mantha is more valuable then Larkin? Really you think so? Mantha is a good player he really is but I would caution overpaying him. He looks motivated for literally the first time in his career which magically so happens to be a contract year.
a key factor in my outlook is that larks value is dependant on his skating , just like a mcdavid . and just like mcdavid hes constantly being hunted by opponants as hes haulin the mail . this puts him in lots more danger of injury than an aircraft carrier such as mantha . that injury factor is what tilts the scales for me if im runnin a team . i predict a guy like mantha on average is more valuable to a team than a guy like larks because mantha will stay healthy longer , more years and more minutes of elite contribution to a team . if im gm im drafting big horse centers like sundin-getz-razz-etc that play powerball and arent dependant on skating

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
As I said earlier.....
''mantha is an extremely different case . theres less than 5 guys on earth with that size-coordination-ruggedness-skates-confidence-shot-fire in veins''
my outlook on the matter is that mantha physically is as rare and as valuable as it gets in a hockey player . if he were a 5'10'' 185lb perimeter player on a hot streak i wouldnt be saying this about a contract . i dont risk big stacks of chips like this on a drouin . but when a mantha comes along alarms go off that this guys odds of a monster career are high as anybodys out there his age . call me what you will for going all in in this case . at the same time i call you foolish for not looking to lock this type extremely rare hockey player in to a career contract .

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
How about we let the season play out, and re-visit this topic Jan 2nd 2020 where we have had roughly 30 plus games played ?

Mantha was injured for 15 games at last season. If you just add this season and that WHC and pre-season (14 extra games) to his last season stats, you got:

81 games, 41+32 = 73 points. This is his scoring during the last calendar year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->