Contracts for Athanasiou, Mantha & Bertuzzi

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
Friedman from 31 Thoughts

6. Okay, let’s go through some names starting to make their way around the NHL. It’s going to be very interesting to see how things play out with Minnesota and Kevin Fiala. He could have played Tuesday night in Dallas, but the Wild decided to make him a scratch instead — the second time it’s happened in 2019-20. Coach Bruce Boudreau indicated the winger would be back in the lineup soon, “because we could use his offence,” but it’s clear this marriage is shaky.
It’s a tricky scenario because he hasn’t even been there a calendar year, and was acquired by a previous GM. He’s talented, and the contract is not prohibitive. In a perfect world, he’s part of the solution in Minnesota. But, they’re going to see what is out there.
More from Sportsnet

Revamped Monahan shows growth defensively for Flames, but offence lags
ERIC FRANCIS

Hockey Hall of Famer and former Leafs GM Jim Gregory dies at 83
CANADIAN PRESS

7. Similar situation for the Red Wings and Andreas Athanasiou. I can’t say that Steve Yzerman has put him out there, but waiving Jonathan Ericsson indicates the status quo is not acceptable. Athanasiou started slowly in 2018-19, and still ended up with 30 goals. He’s goalless so far. Complicating all of this is it is a contract year, and the last one was a wrestling match.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Friedman from 31 Thoughts

6. Okay, let’s go through some names starting to make their way around the NHL. It’s going to be very interesting to see how things play out with Minnesota and Kevin Fiala. He could have played Tuesday night in Dallas, but the Wild decided to make him a scratch instead — the second time it’s happened in 2019-20. Coach Bruce Boudreau indicated the winger would be back in the lineup soon, “because we could use his offence,” but it’s clear this marriage is shaky.
It’s a tricky scenario because he hasn’t even been there a calendar year, and was acquired by a previous GM. He’s talented, and the contract is not prohibitive. In a perfect world, he’s part of the solution in Minnesota. But, they’re going to see what is out there.
More from Sportsnet

Revamped Monahan shows growth defensively for Flames, but offence lags
ERIC FRANCIS

Hockey Hall of Famer and former Leafs GM Jim Gregory dies at 83
CANADIAN PRESS

7. Similar situation for the Red Wings and Andreas Athanasiou. I can’t say that Steve Yzerman has put him out there, but waiving Jonathan Ericsson indicates the status quo is not acceptable. Athanasiou started slowly in 2018-19, and still ended up with 30 goals. He’s goalless so far. Complicating all of this is it is a contract year, and the last one was a wrestling match.
I think we've just got to give AA a bit more time. He looked like a threat last night. I think they'll start going in for him soon.

Reactions: VelenoLikeAFeleno

2xJack

Apr 19, 2019
For AA, it isn't just that the puck isn't going into the net. He is not playing a two way game. I believe the effort level is lacking. If things continue like this, it won't be too long before he's losing ice time or even getting scratched.

Something else I take into consideration, as someone who is very data driven, is AA's age. He turned 25 this summer. My belief is that last season was his peak. Statistically, hockey players peak between ages 23 and 25. More recently the age line has shifted a little toward the older end due to various factors, but it is highly unlikely that AA will ever produce significantly more than he did last season. If you look at slightly older comparable players, like Tatar and Nyquist, the model is shown to be accurate. (As an aside this is why I feel KH's "over-ripe" approach was pure BS and counter productive, but that's getting off on a tangent. He was wasting solid years of production by keeping players in GR too long.)

So, I think it would be a huge mistake to throw 30 goal scorer money toward AA on a long contract right as he begins to decline. I'd rather move him, and the sooner the better. A less desirable but still palatable option would be a short 1 or 2 year deal at market value just to get him to UFA status, where he can then sign long term elsewhere.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
For AA, it isn't just that the puck isn't going into the net. He is not playing a two way game. I believe the effort level is lacking. If things continue like this, it won't be too long before he's losing ice time or even getting scratched.

Something else I take into consideration, as someone who is very data driven, is AA's age. He turned 25 this summer. My belief is that last season was his peak. Statistically, hockey players peak between ages 23 and 25. More recently the age line has shifted a little toward the older end due to various factors, but it is highly unlikely that AA will ever produce significantly more than he did last season. If you look at slightly older comparable players, like Tatar and Nyquist, the model is shown to be accurate. (As an aside this is why I feel KH's "over-ripe" approach was pure BS and counter productive, but that's getting off on a tangent. He was wasting solid years of production by keeping players in GR too long.)

So, I think it would be a huge mistake to throw 30 goal scorer money toward AA on a long contract right as he begins to decline. I'd rather move him, and the sooner the better. A less desirable but still palatable option would be a short 1 or 2 year deal at market value just to get him to UFA status, where he can then sign long term elsewhere.

I don't know how anyone watches the last couple games and criticizes AA's defensive play.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I don't know how anyone watches the last couple games and criticizes AA's defensive play.
He's not really criticizing defensive play, he's saying think twice before giving AA a significant extension. A sample size of 2 games defensively for AA is irrelevant.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
If AA continues to struggle, and the number is right, I think he has it in him to be a potent, long term depth player.

Mantha is hard for me to see not being overpaid and a detriment following this year.

Last edited:

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Yeah. Same with 11 or whatever.
He scored 30 last year and started this season with a ****ed up back.
Yeah. Health is a big question mark, and the way he plays takes a toll. Imagine sliding into a post or endboards at AA's speed, you'd be dead. His offensive edge doesn't come without playing on the edge of breaking ankles/back/neck. That's the reality.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

His problem is also he's trying to do everything on his own. And its costing the team. There's a reason he's the worst +/- player in the league. He tries to do everything, loses the puck, and then the other team gets a high danger chance. Rinse. Repeat. Sign him cheap, or trade him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad