"Contract year"

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I think that it's largely confirmation bias. The fact that dozens of players elevate their play each year while in contract years doesn't prove the phenomenon. There are over 700 hundred players in the league. Probably nearly a third of them are in contract years at any time. There will always be at least dozens of them who underperform, dozens who perform about the same and dozens who overperform. We tend to notice the latter because they're in the spotlight and we like putting reasons to things. We don't notice the rest nearly as much.

There likely is motivation to improve when your contract is coming up and less of it after signing a contract. I'm not saying that that's hogwash or a non-factor, but I doubt that it has as much effect on a player's performance as many people believe. There are probably other factors that are more responsible for a player's increase or drop in production, IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: byrath

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
There's also the factor of the teammates and even coach knowing it's a big deal for a player on their contract year, and getting pucks to them more often and otherwise boosting them however they can. It can be a net positive in that it fosters togetherness on the team to support each other that way

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Both points can be true.

I'm not sure why it has to be one or the other..

When it's being used as evidence of the "contract year" definitely being a thing, ambiguity is an issue. If he were still playing 2C and getting PP2 time and still increased his production, that would be good evidence. But, when he's getting 2 more minutes per game and getting a lot more offensive opportunities, there's too many possible explanations for me to believe any one of them without additional evidence.

Phil Kessels Hot Dog

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton in 5
Forwards in their prime sign for what, roughly $100k per point? If my agent came to me and said, every point you earn next season is worth $700,000 on a 7 year deal, I would train like an absolute demon that off season. And probably take all the gear I could get my hands on too.

Handshot

Jan 28, 2015
It might be a thing, I'd lean to probably is. But this is also something where the perception is heavily affected by confirmation bias. Everyone remembers the guys that absolutely went off and secured a huge contract, and nobody remembers the guys that had terrible seasons and faded into obscurity shortly afterwards

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
Is there any truth to this phenomenon? The implication being a player might be somehow 'trying harder' than ordinary and/or padding his stats during a contract year to get more money, and that the player won't try that hard/put that performance or numbers again after getting the contract.

Never believed in such a thing, always thought it was hogwash and fantasy. Do you?
When did JT Miller have his career year?
How is Horvat's contract year going so far?

Please don't take this post as me 100% believing in contract year peaks, but there does seem to be an awful lot of coincidences.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Is there any truth to this phenomenon? The implication being a player might be somehow 'trying harder' than ordinary and/or padding his stats during a contract year to get more money, and that the player won't try that hard/put that performance or numbers again after getting the contract.

Never believed in such a thing, always thought it was hogwash and fantasy. Do you?

Different sport, but Judge just had maybe the best contract year anyone could have. It's definitely a thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad