News Article: Contract talks for Senators’ Matt Duchene: update - no numbers [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Melnyk doesn't do divisional trades, pretty sure the insiders told us that after the Hoff trade.

Yep, we saw our team go from the final 4 to being ripped to shreds within 16 months, that's how quickly things change.
Yeah but everyone said it was smoke and mirrors!:sarcasm:

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
They are a big market and bring in US dollars. If Ottawa was a bigger market and in the US, the team would win the cup every year with such a competant management team and awesome owner. :sarcasm:

You left out pleasant!

These next 2-3 trades will be huuuuge because after Duchene, Dzingel, and maybe Stone are gone there's no more hope to pin things on. No more, maybe we can get this guy for our UFAs. Our organization will be set when it comes to important pieces basically until the 2020 Draft. I'm absolutely scared to see what things will look like when March rolls around. Dorion absolutely, positively cannot mess this up or we're going to Oilers territory.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Yeah but everyone said it was smoke and mirrors!:sarcasm:
It was, but the team was so much closer to being a contender than it was to bottoming out. It was smoke & mirrors for Melnyk and Dorion as well, both were so pleased with themselves for getting to where they did, almost to the point of arrogance to anyone who thought they should be adding to a lineup. HUGE miscalculation by both of them that began the process of leading us to where we are today.

Reactions: topshelf15

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
If the Islanders are a mess I can't wait to see what you call the Sens situation. The grass isn't always greener, but outside of being closer to home I don't see what benefits Ottawa has over other markets. We have no new arena for a while (or ever) while having an owner rumoured to be selling a chunk (or all) of the the team as well.

It seems hypocritical to on the one hand laud Ottawa as this amazing place where Duchene might re-sign while crapping on franchises that have more going for them on and off the ice.
No, it is not hypocritical.

Maybe re-read my posts, but I have only suggested how Ottawa is a great place to live and raise a family. It is a team in flux on the ice and off. I think in the next few weeks there will be a clear direction as to where the team is heading.

You don't have to see the benefits Ottawa has over other markets like Long Island, Columbus, Buffalo, Detroit, etc...you can certainly hold to your opinion. I just don't share it. That's cool.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
You bring up a great point Coladin.

They hired competent people in Lamiorello and Trotz and the whole damn thing turned around. *despite whats happening elsewhere in the franchise* We should try that.

It would be nice, yes. Glad for them and would love a top notch coach. But they also have 5 possible UFAs who have not committed to the team

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

Maybe re-read my posts, but I have only suggested how Ottawa is a great place to live and raise a family. It is a team in flux on the ice and off. I think in the next few weeks there will be a clear direction as to where the team is heading.

You don't have to see the benefits Ottawa has over other markets like Long Island, Columbus, Buffalo, Detroit, etc...you can certainly hold to your opinion. I just don't share it. That's cool.

I clearly think it is hypocritical, but that's based on our differing opinions. Like you, I'm not here to change anyone's mind, just to state my own views when I think someone posted something silly. I don't really see how Long Island can be lumped in with the other three markets, but obviously you feel different and that's fine.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Melnyk doesn't do divisional trades, pretty sure the insiders told us that after the Hoff trade.

Yep, we saw our team go from the final 4 to being ripped to shreds within 16 months, that's how quickly things change.
Duchene can sign with anyone July 1, including the Habs. If Ottawa gets the best deal from a team that Duchene does not want to re-sign with, then it is game one come July 1

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I clearly think it is hypocritical, but that's based on our differing opinions. Like you, I'm not here to change anyone's mind, just to state my own views when I think someone posted something silly. I don't really see how Long Island can be lumped in with the other three markets, but obviously you feel different and that's fine.
Long Island as a place to live and raise a family? It wouldn't be my first choice, that's for sure. If you want to talk on the hockey side, yes, for sure they are better, but also have 5 UFAs to deal with. So that picture may change somewhat.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

I hope you do realize no hockey player uses "list of best places to live" when deciding where to sign.

There is a reason why Ottawa has had trouble attracting UFAs. That isn't a knock on Ottawa either.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I hope you do realize no hockey player uses "list of best places to live" when deciding where to sign.

There is a reason why Ottawa has had trouble attracting UFAs. That isn't a knock on Ottawa either.
We are a small market,money in for money out,strict budgets just above the floor,perpetual rebuilds...Who doesnt want a piece of that??

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
We are a small market,money in for money out,strict budgets just above the floor,perpetual rebuilds...Who doesnt want a piece of that??
I dont think you're being particularly fair here. Budget is quite a bit above the floor ahd the gap between us and the league has grown. Its more a recent phenomena. I dont think perpetual describes our historical situation

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I dont think you're being particularly fair here. Budget is quite a bit above the floor ahd the gap between us and the league has grown. Its more a recent phenomena. I dont think perpetual describes our historical situation
Lots of that is inflated by LTIR and higher cap versus dollars contracts,the team really hasnt gone much further than 60 to 65 mil in actual dollars....

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
The direction has been clear since about last December. Cut money anywhere and everywhere possible.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

I think a lot of players use it. I think you're mistaking our not chasing high end UFAs for this not being a good place to live.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

Our salary expenditures this year are roughly $68 million, but that's counting Gaborik and MacArthur. Assuming they are insured the team is spending closer to ~62 million on salaries, which puts us in the bottom 1 or 2 in terms of spending, also not that far from the floor.

I don't think it describes our entire history either, but the numbers don't lie this season.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Our salary expenditures this year are roughly $68 million, but that's counting Gaborik and MacArthur. Assuming they are insured the team is spending closer to ~62 million on salaries, which puts us in the bottom 1 or 2 in terms of spending, also not that far from the floor.

I don't think it describes our entire history either, but the numbers don't lie this season.
Add in the peanuts we spend on coaching and the front office =A COMPLETE SHITSHOW

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

I agree. It was the perpetual comment that i didn't think was fair.

Our financial crisis is recent and hopefully it's temporary as they sort out the financing for lebreton

Reactions: coladin

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

We still didn't attract UFAs when we were a powerhouse team.

Ottawa simply is not attractive to the elite. There is nothing wrong that, I just find people who claim "but it is on this spot on the list of best places to live" to be grasping at straws while failing to understand that the elite don't live life like us.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I think a lot of players use it. I think you're mistaking our not chasing high end UFAs for this not being a good place to live.

I never said Ottawa isn't a good place to live, I picked Ottawa over Quebec City and Montreal despite being a francophone.

The point is that Ottawa is bottom of the barrel for professional hockey players. That isn't a lot of people but they are the people we talk about most on HF.

RaMai

Mar 6, 2011
Canada

Ottawa simply is not attractive to the elite. There is nothing wrong that, I just find people who claim "but it is on this spot on the list of best places to live" to be grasping at straws while failing to understand that the elite don't live life like us.

And it shouldn't matter, I was proud in the past that my favorite team is drafting well and builds their own stars.
They have been able to keep them for their prime and they found 2nd tier UFA's to round out the roster.
But the last few years this is not true at all, and I think there is ultimately ONE issue. The owner can't or doesn't want to afford the franchise.
Horrible front office and meddling...that's why people are upset, but the spinners are telling us it's our fault.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I never said Ottawa isn't a good place to live, I picked Ottawa over Quebec City and Montreal despite being a francophone.

The point is that Ottawa is bottom of the barrel for professional hockey players. That isn't a lot of people but they are the people we talk about most on HF.

I guess we'll disagree then. As i said, we don't chase ufas but you look at guys that leave and there's a lot of them that leave involuntarily

Karlsson
Turris
Alfie
Hossa

I'm sure southern climates are attractive to some but most hockey players come from cold climates

Reactions: RaMai

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I guess we'll disagree then. As i said, we don't chase ufas but you look at guys that leave and there's a lot of them that leave involuntarily

Karlsson
Turris
Alfie
Hossa

I'm sure southern climates are attractive to some but most hockey players come from cold climates

Notice how we drafted all three of those players and we got Turris out of a mess in Arizona while he was still an RFA? Did you also notice how all of them left as they became UFAs (except Alfie who had already been a UFA before bailing)? I rest my case.

I never said Ottawa was awful and everyone wants out. I said it isn't an attractive option for UFAs, meaning that a lot of players (yes not all, we managed to hold on to Spezza and Heatley), when given the choice, don't want to come to Ottawa/prefer going somewhere else.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

We dont do ourselves any favors,in running the team the way its been run is more of where is was going...But for sure Ottawa or California???Real tough choice there lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->