News Article: Contract talks for Senators’ Matt Duchene: update - no numbers [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Well, sure it seems obvious but that was in response to someone saying we can't get worse.

Don't be silly. When we trade Stone and Duchene we will get assets that make us better! Just you watch, in no time, those assets will have replaced Karlsson / Stone / Duchene / Anderson and you'll forget those plugs ever pulled on our jersey!

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Don't be silly. When we trade Stone and Duchene we will get assets that make us better! Just you watch, in no time, those assets will have replaced Karlsson / Stone / Duchene / Anderson and you'll forget those plugs ever pulled on our jersey!

Oh cool.

Off to buy a jersey for every one of those assets!

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

Can’t wait. Why didn’t we do this sooner?

So good to know what we’ve been doing for the last 10 years has all been building up to this moment of imminent glory.

Hockey Country > Hot Mess > Pesky Sens > Hot Mess 2.0 > Erik Karlsson 2017 > Hot Internet/Uber Mess 3.0 > Stanley Cup.

Reactions: Gesus

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Well, we're in last place right now. Not like we can get any worse.

But like I said, there's a definite limit to how much upswing this team will have. We'll probably max out as a bubble team.

We can get worse. We can be in less games. Lose more games. Be even further down points wise in the standings.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Yup. I have a couple of friends that are loaded and I didn't even realize. I thought that they were doing well, but was shocked at how much they're actually worth. People are people. It isn't a movie or Instagram post. Especially hockey players. I've met a ton of them through my kids playing hockey and they're almost all totally normal everyday people.
And that is Ottawa.

Gated communities lol...there are a dozen murders here a year.

Artanis

Dec 1, 2011
Ottawa
Maybe getting rid of Duchene is a good thing. People get more disinterested, less people going to games, and Melnyk sells.
I wonder if the out come of Melnyk selling would be having to trade Stone + Duchene if people would be up for it.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
There is no other market that would be interested in signing him where he's looking at 20 seconds of 2nd PP time. That's a stretch.

Pittsburgh's reportedly interested in him to play with Crosby. On Nashville, he'd be their best offensive forward. With the Sharks, he'd be their #1 center. Same with the Islanders, Montreal or Vegas. All of those teams are better now, and for the forseeable future.

No the grass isn't always greener, but when you look at the state of this franchise, in this situation, it most certainly is.

I don't think there is enough money in the world that would make Duchene happy playing the next 7 years on the wing, but that is just a guess on my part.

Nashville, Johansen would probably start the PP. Turris goes where, then , at 6M?

Not sure about the Sharks, but that could be a good fit, but they have alot of contracts to worry about there as well.

Montreal would probably go all in to get him. Makes sense on many levels, if he would want to live there. The Islanders are as big a mess. Las Vegas isn't exactly the safest place in America.

Montreal, would be a franchise changing move for them.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
He's a No1 centre on most teams. Has to be a good return for that. If 64M-72M over 8 is not enough, we should move on. Bonus structure or not, its 64M minimum - over 8 years. Anyone else can only do 7 I understand, so they'd have to go over 9.5M per year to be in the same ballpark. Taxes aside.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
We are last place with Stone, Duchene, and Dzingel and we will be last place without them.

Agreed but having high end players makes it more likely that the team will more quickly start rising in the standings.

Dumping all our high end talent for scraps or futures only makes it harder and could very well ensure we remain at the bottom longer than "necessary".

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
What exactly makes the top team in the Metro, with one of the better coaches in the league, with an actual guaranteed new arena to play in any more of a mess than the Senators?

They are a big market and bring in US dollars. If Ottawa was a bigger market and in the US, the team would win the cup every year with such a competant management team and awesome owner. :sarcasm:

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
They are a big market and bring in US dollars. If Ottawa was a bigger market and in the US, the team would win the cup every year with such a competant management team and awesome owner. :sarcasm:
Best management in the league, just constrained by money, I mean, who else can get 6 assets in a trade?

Reactions: Spartachat

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
What exactly makes the top team in the Metro, with one of the better coaches in the league, with an actual guaranteed new arena to play in any more of a mess than the Senators?
Well, there is no arena for a while, been in a terrible one for a while, away from their fanbase...the owners are trying to sell a chunk after buying it not too long ago. Barclays wanted to get them out as they were also hemorrhaging money. Other than that, they have overachieved on the ice, and good for them. I cheer for them...but hardly a stable franchise . But also a great example on how quickly things can change in the NHL.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Melnyk doesn't do divisional trades, pretty sure the insiders told us that after the Hoff trade.

But also a great example on how quickly things can change in the NHL.
Yep, we saw our team go from the final 4 to being ripped to shreds within 16 months, that's how quickly things change.

Reactions: coladin

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Well, there is no arena for a while, been in a terrible one for a while, away from their fanbase...the owners are trying to sell a chunk after buying it not too long ago. Barclays wanted to get them out as they were also hemorrhaging money. Other than that, they have overachieved on the ice, and good for them. I cheer for them...but hardly a stable franchise . But also a great example on how quickly things can change in the NHL.

If the Islanders are a mess I can't wait to see what you call the Sens situation. The grass isn't always greener, but outside of being closer to home I don't see what benefits Ottawa has over other markets. We have no new arena for a while (or ever) while having an owner rumoured to be selling a chunk (or all) of the the team as well.

It seems hypocritical to on the one hand laud Ottawa as this amazing place where Duchene might re-sign while crapping on franchises that have more going for them on and off the ice.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I don't think there is enough money in the world that would make Duchene happy playing the next 7 years on the wing, but that is just a guess on my part.

Nashville, Johansen would probably start the PP. Turris goes where, then , at 6M?

Not sure about the Sharks, but that could be a good fit, but they have alot of contracts to worry about there as well.

Montreal would probably go all in to get him. Makes sense on many levels, if he would want to live there. The Islanders are as big a mess. Las Vegas isn't exactly the safest place in America.

Duchene is a better player than Johansen. If the Preds acquired him, he'd slot in as their #1 center and Johansen would bump Turris to #3. Contending teams don't have a problem with a top-end 3rd line center, even if he makes 6M, which in today's NHL, isn't all that much.

The Sharks will likely walk away from Pavelski unless he takes a large discount, and with Thornton already taking team-friendly deals, he's not a problem. A lot depends on Karlsson, obviously, and him re-signing could take them out of the running. If he leaves though, expect Wilson to be all-in on getting one of Duchene, Stone or Panarin.

The Islanders were a mess, but they've since brought in Lou Lamoriello and Barry Trotz, who after just 8 months, have already started to steady the ship. They've got a whack load of prospects coming too (Dobson, Bellows, Wahlstrom, Wilde) in the next 2-3 years. If they're a mess, we're a dumpster on fire.

Vegas might be dangerous if you're hanging around the Strip between 2-4 in the morning. If you're a millionaire living in a nice community, it's pretty great. Lot's of pro athletes choose to retire there (no tax, good weather, great golf courses, easy to travel in and out, etc).

And sure, playing on wing, for a center, typically, doesn't sound great. It's different when you're playing with one of the greatest players of all-time, who also happens to be a good friend, on a team that's always in contention, though.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Maybe getting rid of Duchene is a good thing. People get more disinterested, less people going to games, and Melnyk sells.
I wonder if the out come of Melnyk selling would be having to trade Stone + Duchene if people would be up for it.
Absolutely I could live with that. At least we might be able to rebuild properly with some real competence in management in place and an owner that might care about what transpires with the actual hockey team.

Reactions: Bean Drown

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
You bring up a great point Coladin.

They hired competent people in Lamiorello and Trotz and the whole damn thing turned around. *despite whats happening elsewhere in the franchise* We should try that.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
You bring up a great point Coladin.

They hired competent people in Lamiorello and Trotz and the whole damn thing turned around. *despite whats happening elsewhere in the franchise* We should try that.

Psssshhhh

It's the fans fault. If only they didn't have a crisis of faith in regards to the owner after the Alfie debacle everything would be fine. The Melnykool-aid tastes fine, bunch of entitled snobs those fans are.

Reactions: Gesus

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Lyndy Ruff would be an interesting choice for HC in Ottawa, he has a very respectful record, can be tough on players when needed & has a ton of experience. GM is a much tougher choice & more difficult to bring in a established GM. However, I doubt this owner ever spends the money to bring in any quality managers, if he isn't willing to pay his elite athletes I doubt he is willing to pay anyone else what they are worth.

IMO while EM is the owner all we can expect or hope for is for the players to take this team on a long run on their own with little help from inexperienced coaches & managers. We need a good run while these players are still young & cheap & still think winning is everything.

Reactions: billpo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad