Contract raises question

Varius

Jul 28, 2005
www.anaheimducks.info
I'm just curious, when a team refers to giving a deserving player a raise next season, would this only apply to their RFAs (or I guess UFAs but that's if they re-sign them)? Or could they give a raise to someone with a valid contract if they wanted as well (ie. scrap that contract and draw up a new one?)

Thanks

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
RFA's get raises depending on their salary in the previous season. UFA's - we all know how that works.

For players with contracts for 2006-07, teams cannot renegotiate, adjust, or otherwise change the contracted salary for '06-07. Under the new CBA, once a contract is signed the only way it gets terminated early is if (A) the team decides to buy the player out, (B) the player is eligible to become a Group V free agent, or (C) one sides violates the terms of the contract (and no, if that happens I'm sure there's provisions in place to ensure it's not a " ;) - we're going to do this so you can get the money you want" arrangement).

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Varius said:
I'm just curious, when a team refers to giving a deserving player a raise next season, would this only apply to their RFAs (or I guess UFAs but that's if they re-sign them)? Or could they give a raise to someone with a valid contract if they wanted as well (ie. scrap that contract and draw up a new one?)

Thanks

Nope. Contracts cannot be renegotiated.

A team can, in the final year of a multi-year contract, negotiate a contract extension, which will not take effect until after the current contract expires. In the case of an existing 1yr deal, a contract extention cannot be signed untill after Jan 1.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Irish Blues said:
RFA's get raises depending on their salary in the previous season. UFA's - we all know how that works.

For players with contracts for 2006-07, teams cannot renegotiate, adjust, or otherwise change the contracted salary for '06-07. Under the new CBA, once a contract is signed the only way it gets terminated early is if (A) the team decides to buy the player out, (B) the player is eligible to become a Group V free agent, or (C) one sides violates the terms of the contract (and no, if that happens I'm sure there's provisions in place to ensure it's not a " ;) - we're going to do this so you can get the money you want" arrangement).

The Group V UFA termination is only in the case of a two-year arbitration award contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->