Contract Offer Update: Please Read

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Hence forth, any offers to pending free agents that are less than 60% of what the player and his agent believe he will likely receive in the open market this offseason, will be rejected and all further contract negotiations will be broken off with no other offers even read.

Govern your offers accordingly, and stop wasting my time.

Reggie Swingstein
HFNHL Player Agent

Tampa GM

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
What if...

I give Mr X an offer which is to low according to Mr X and his agent and that player reject all other offers. I understand this part but what if I trade Mr X after this? Can the new team, in this case Team Y still offer a contract to Mr X who will became free agent in just a few months time?

Regards

Martin TBL GM

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Tampa GM said:
What if...
I give Mr X an offer which is to low according to Mr X and his agent and that player reject all other offers. I understand this part but what if I trade Mr X after this? Can the new team, in this case Team Y still offer a contract to Mr X who will became free agent in just a few months time?

Regards

Martin TBL GM

In theory, yes you can. I'd just recommend that Team Y - which means every team - ask to see what correspondance has taken place with respect to negotiations with the team looking to trade said player so they are aware of what offers and counters have been made (and what offer potentially had the player break off negotiations).

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Dr.Sens(e) said:
Hence forth, any offers to pending free agents that are less than 60% of what the player and his agent believe he will likely receive in the open market this offseason, will be rejected and all further contract negotiations will be broken off with no other offers even read.

Govern your offers accordingly, and stop wasting my time.

Reggie Swingstein
HFNHL Player Agent

Mr Swinton .. thats rediculas. So its ok for the team to say, if the counter offer is 115% higher than expected all negotiations are off and no other offers will even be read.

Thats a joke. Sorry, but its only a function of being in a SIM that gives you the leeway to make that statement. In the SIM world, the agent has NOTHING to lose if the player doesnt sign. Its not like the player will a) fire him or b) he will lose any commision. Unlike in the real world where the agent has to take all those real life considerations.

For the record, any agent that would take the attitude with me will see his client recieving his QO and he can rot if he doesnt like it.

So, maybe instead of the *sim* agent and the GM's having a *my balls are bigger* argument, why dont you reconsider your blanket approach to this ?

GM PIT

Phoenix AGM

Mar 25, 2002
Visit site
First, I find it entirely realistic that a lowball offer can cause a player or his agent to break off negotiations. And obviously a team is free to break off negotiations whenever it wants if the player's demands aren't reasonable in the owner's opinion.

Second, as a practical matter, Nick shouldn't have to waste his time in protracted negotiations just to get a team to move its offers into a reasonable range. If the player and owner are too far apart, there's no point in talking further. If the owner knows damn well that he'll have to pay 1 to 1.5 million for a player, he should start in or at least near that range. Offering such a player 500k is wasting his time.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Phoenix AGM said:
First, I find it entirely realistic that a lowball offer can cause a player or his agent to break off negotiations. And obviously a team is free to break off negotiations whenever it wants if the player's demands aren't reasonable in the owner's opinion.

Second, as a practical matter, Nick shouldn't have to waste his time in protracted negotiations just to get a team to move its offers into a reasonable range. If the player and owner are too far apart, there's no point in talking further. If the owner knows damn well that he'll have to pay 1 to 1.5 million for a player, he should start in or at least near that range. Offering such a player 500k is wasting his time.

Praise the lord, someone has seen the light.

The rule is a realistic one, but the purpose is simply for logistical sanity. There are 30 teams making offers for 100's of players, all of which require some research to determine the appropriate market value range. There isn't time to go back and forth a dozen times trying to convince the GM his offer is ridiculous (especially when the GM knows it). If the offer is on the borderline, and the GM makes a reasonable argument on the market value, then some slack can be given.

And let's not forget that in the real world, the agent is actually getting paid for those negotiations.

SensGod

Feb 27, 2002
Scotia Bank Place
Visit site
Would it help if the GM knew what the player was expecting before negociations begin...?

Would it cost too much time for Nick if a GM were to ask what the player find reasonable...thus giving everyone an equal footing to where to start the negociations?

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
SensGod said:
Would it help if the GM knew what the player was expecting before negociations begin...?

Would it cost too much time for Nick if a GM were to ask what the player find reasonable...thus giving everyone an equal footing to where to start the negociations?
I think people are getting a little caught up in this. Remember, we are talking 60%. Basically you shouldn't be offering Joe Sakic $2 mil a year, as you know that is way below what he is worth. I can't imagine that there are too many players that Mr. Swinton will think is worth nearly twice what the GM honestly thinks the player is worth.

Please remember also that there are HUNDREDS of potential FAs out there. In addition to this, Mr. Swinton is also dealing with prospects that are being signed. As someone who used to do this, it can be a ton of work, and the idea is to limit it as much as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad