Contract holdout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sw0op

May 25, 2003
Visit site
I'm hoping that no other players pulls a Yashin and decides not to play until he gets what he wishes for. But say a holdout like this does happen in the new CBA. I know the judge ruled in favour of the Senators saying Yashin still owes Ottawa a year of service. Have they changed the rules in the new CBA to accomodate this? I can't seem to find it...if you guys have any proof to your opinions it would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
Sw0op said:
I'm hoping that no other players pulls a Yashin and decides not to play until he gets what he wishes for. But say a holdout like this does happen in the new CBA. I know the judge ruled in favour of the Senators saying Yashin still owes Ottawa a year of service. Have they changed the rules in the new CBA to accomodate this? I can't seem to find it...if you guys have any proof to your opinions it would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks

Current CBA does not allow teams to renegotiate contracts.

Sw0op

May 25, 2003
Visit site
ok..say what if they went overseas to play hockey at home and they still had a contract with a NHL team what would happen when they come back?

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
Sw0op said:
ok..say what if they went overseas to play hockey at home and they still had a contract with a NHL team what would happen when they come back?

Player with existing contract can't play in another league.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
The new CBA also has a provision that if a RFA player does not sign a contract by December 1, he cannot play during the season.

WRT players "owned" (e.g., RFAs) by a NHL organization, if they are not under contract, they can play in European leagues. But the IIHF does not allow players under contract (in North America or Europe) to play for an organization/league other than that.

Two examples of the above.

In the 02-03 season, Kyle McLaren was very unhappy and refused to play for the Boston Bruins. His rights were traded to San Jose and he signed in January 2003. Under the new CBA, his rights can be traded, but if he wasn't signed by 12/1, he'd be out for the season.

Alexander Korolyuk was taken to arbitration last summer by the San Jose Sharks. The arbitrator awarded a one year contract worth $1.2m. Korolyuk decided to play in Russia this season. When and if Korolyuk ever decides to return to the NHL to play -- regardless of his age -- he owes the SJ organization (or whoever they might trade his rights to) one year of service (at $1.2m).

Sw0op

May 25, 2003
Visit site
LadyStanley said:
The new CBA also has a provision that if a RFA player does not sign a contract by December 1, he cannot play during the season.

WRT players "owned" (e.g., RFAs) by a NHL organization, if they are not under contract, they can play in European leagues. But the IIHF does not allow players under contract (in North America or Europe) to play for an organization/league other than that.

Two examples of the above.

In the 02-03 season, Kyle McLaren was very unhappy and refused to play for the Boston Bruins. His rights were traded to San Jose and he signed in January 2003. Under the new CBA, his rights can be traded, but if he wasn't signed by 12/1, he'd be out for the season.

Alexander Korolyuk was taken to arbitration last summer by the San Jose Sharks. The arbitrator awarded a one year contract worth $1.2m. Korolyuk decided to play in Russia this season. When and if Korolyuk ever decides to return to the NHL to play -- regardless of his age -- he owes the SJ organization (or whoever they might trade his rights to) one year of service (at $1.2m).

Awesome! This answers my question..Thanks for the replies!

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Trizent said:
Player with existing contract can't play in another league.

Tell that to the Russians. ;)

A player could, though the team would certantly sue for breach of contract.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Resolute said:
Tell that to the Russians. ;)

A player could, though the team would certantly sue for breach of contract.
To be precise, the IIHF agreement prevents players with active contracts from leaving to play for another team that is a signatory to the agreement, unless the two teams reach a settlement separately. So that covers the NHL, SEL, SM Liiga, CEL, DEL, Swiss league, etc., as well as lesser leagues in countries that are signatories.

The Russian hockey federation has not signed the agreement, and hence the RSL is excluded from this arrangement.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Point being?

I am well aware of the issues between the RHF and IIHF.

The RHF has argued more than once that they did not release a player under contract to the NHL, yet that player has come over anyway.

Alexander Semin is currently in violation of his contract with the Capitals, as he is playing in Russia.

I was simply pointing out that the law is evidently no barrier to players violating their contracts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->