Value of: Contract for Nail Yakupov

CountKong

Jun 5, 2018
Didn't he already sign with a KHL team? Also helping homeless guys is not a priority when teams look for NHL talent.
Teams refuse to sign players based on off ice issues and altercations (or trade them). Showing character and compassion might help him get another crack at the NHL down the road.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
What will he get on his next deal? This is a great guy who helped out a homeless person.

Yakupov buys dinner for hungry homeless man - Sportsnet.ca

He signed in the KHL already . Yakupov being a good person does nothing for a hockey team . Teams want good hockey players .

I wish the best for Yakupov and his family . He is a real likeable kid . Hope he regains his confidence that he had ripped away in Edmonton because he wasn't ready for the NHL . Kid should of been drafted about 15 oa and had no pressure and spent a few seasons in the AHL

Reactions: dreamcomehere

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Teams refuse to sign players based on off ice issues and altercations (or trade them). Showing character and compassion might help him get another crack at the NHL down the road.
I highly doubt that... He simply needs to rediscover/reinvent his game during his two year KHL deal. Only way off ice character affects a contract is if the person has poor off ice character. I’m sure teams view it as icing ontop if someone does. As in if they had two players they were looking at signing and player A and B were identical in nearly every way even down to the contracts they wanted but A did community outreach and B did not... As a reason VERY far down the list of attributes it could help someone. But it’ll never been a primary reason to sign a player. Only if it’s bad, a primary reason not to sign someone.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
He's probably done for the time being in the NHL. We will likely see him in a redemption tour in a few years but the kid has so many holes in his game atm that Russia is likely the best fit. He is an all class human being though and its a guy you can't help but root for

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Great great guy which is why him being a bust stung even more. He signed in Russia and I think that's best for him. Go home, get more playing time, if he can fix some issues he could be a useful 3rd liner in 2 years.

CountKong

Jun 5, 2018
I highly doubt that... He simply needs to rediscover/reinvent his game during his two year KHL deal. Only way off ice character affects a contract is if the person has poor off ice character. I’m sure teams view it as icing ontop if someone does. As in if they had two players they were looking at signing and player A and B were identical in nearly every way even down to the contracts they wanted but A did community outreach and B did not... As a reason VERY far down the list of attributes it could help someone. But it’ll never been a primary reason to sign a player. Only if it’s bad, a primary reason not to sign someone.

Of course he needs to prove himself in the KHL, if he scores very little I doubt he'll get a contract again in the NHL. That being said in any business being liked by people, be it a fan base or management, will always help to get work/contracts. I agree it is NOT a priority but it should help.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Didn't he already sign with a KHL team? Also helping homeless guys is not a priority when teams look for NHL talent.

What if he hands the guy money behind his back, through his legs?

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
I can give money to a homeless person. I should get NHL contract. What the hell man!

Maybe he returns later from his KHL stint - just with how his bad hockey IQ is ,I can't see him making it like Radulov (for example).

Alan Wake

It's not a loop, it's a spiral.
Dec 14, 2017
Why is someone listing an article that was published two years ago? March 17, 2015, 7:51 PM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad