OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) IV - Use Spoiler Tags!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Pretty much everything that came out in the PS1/N64 is complete and utter garbage that we overrate because of nostalgia.

People were so enamored with the WOW factor of 3D that they ignore the fact Super Mario 64, Final Fantasy VII, Goldeneye, and the rest of the classics from that era are extremely poorly made games that don't hold up.

It pains me because I grew up with those games, but they're simply unplayable these days. Games from the SNES/Genesis era hold up so much better.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Pretty much everything that came out in the PS1/N64 is complete and utter garbage that we overrate because of nostalgia.

People were so enamored with the WOW factor of 3D that they ignore the fact Super Mario 64, Final Fantasy VII, Goldeneye, and the rest of the classics from that era are extremely poorly made games that don't hold up.

It pains me because I grew up with those games, but they're simply unplayable these days. Games from the SNES/Genesis era hold up so much better.

Agreed. I tried to play GoldenEye a few months ago and it really was unplayable. Perfect Dark, on the other hand...

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Golden eye does not hold up and I really never liked it back then. OoT and sm64 and stuff still really hold up to this day tho. imo

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Bought the Witcher 3 because it was on sale for like 15 bucks. This game sucks

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
It is not for everyone. The story is interesting, but the game is a bit overwhelming with too much stuff to do with a combat system that is not fun at all to me.

I think the story itself is pretty cool and I like the characters, but the mechanics of the game are terrible. It is laborious just walking around trying to talk to people because the movements are so finicky. It just got too frustrating after a few hours.

Also picked up the latest assassins creed for about 20 bucks, which I'm excited to give a shot

EliasFTW

Jan 27, 2009
Utica, NY
I think the story itself is pretty cool and I like the characters, but the mechanics of the game are terrible. It is laborious just walking around trying to talk to people because the movements are so finicky. It just got too frustrating after a few hours.

Also picked up the latest assassins creed for about 20 bucks, which I'm excited to give a shot

Stick with it. The game is amazing once you get a hang of it. Also you can change the control setup in the menu. See it that helps you.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Stick with it. The game is amazing once you get a hang of it. Also you can change the control setup in the menu. See it that helps you.

I'll pick it back up for sure, I've got lots of time on my hands right now lol

I do really like AC Odyssey though so far. Definitely worth the 20 bucks I paid for it

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I bought Witcher 3 a few years ago. Played for a few hours and then put it down because it wasn’t keeping my interest.

I picked it up again last month and am really enjoying it. I get a hankering if I’m not able to catch at least a quick 30 minutes playing each day.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I loved The Witcher. Played it way after the fact and came in skeptical but man, what an incredible world.

I'm playing something right now that's definitely not for everybody but pretty amazing if you get it: Outer Wilds. (Not Outer Worlds, which is Fallout in space.) Basically, you're stuck in a time-loop before the universe destructs and on each pass through the timeline you learn more and more about the world and a potential solution. In concept, kind of like Interstellar and Edge of Tomorrow. It's puzzle and exploration heavy, but also weirdly terrifying. You go from walking around a quaint little planet to zooming out into the infinity of space. In some ways, don't think I've ever felt more tense than I have playing this game. It really seems to get the vastness of space and time correct. There are only a couple of planets but each of them is unique and has its own very well-realized rules which you learn through trial and error.

Reactions: Darkauron

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I loved The Witcher. Played it way after the fact and came in skeptical but man, what an incredible world.

I'm playing something right now that's definitely not for everybody but pretty amazing if you get it: Outer Wilds. (Not Outer Worlds, which is Fallout in space.) Basically, you're stuck in a time-loop before the universe destructs and on each pass through the timeline you learn more and more about the world and a potential solution. In concept, kind of like Interstellar and Edge of Tomorrow. It's puzzle and exploration heavy, but also weirdly terrifying. You go from walking around a quaint little planet to zooming out into the infinity of space. In some ways, don't think I've ever felt more tense than I have playing this game. It really seems to get the vastness of space and time correct. There are only a couple of planets but each of them is unique and has its own very well-realized rules which you learn through trial and error.

What platform is it on?

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey

Yeah outer wilds is one of the most amazing games and experience I have ever had.

What platform is it on?

It is on every platform but switch

Reactions: Oneiro

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Yeah outer wilds is one of the most amazing games and experience I have ever had.

It is on every platform but switch

Bummer. I guess I'll look at it for PC or PS4.

I just downloaded a bunch of Switch games today. I'm excited for Hollow Knight.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Looking at some games I missed in recent years or just didn't want to pay $60 for, is No Man's Sky worth checking out? I know it had issues around launch but is it better since then?

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Looking at some games I missed in recent years or just didn't want to pay $60 for, is No Man's Sky worth checking out? I know it had issues around launch but is it better since then?

I got it at launch and played for a while after that. It got a lot better, but it got extremely boring to me. It's an exploration game, mostly, and does that extremely well. Just got old.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
So far the tower of god anime is okay. I really cannot stand the MC Bam at ALL(my friends agree). But the rest of the cast and tests really keep me coming back.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
So far the tower of god anime is okay. I really cannot stand the MC Bam at ALL(my friends agree). But the rest of the cast and tests really keep me coming back.

What's your beef with Bam? Just the clinginess to Rachel? Bam doesn't bother me. Not like John from UnOrdinary, who is the least likeable MC ever.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
What's your beef with Bam? Just the clinginess to Rachel? Bam doesn't bother me. Not like John from UnOrdinary, who is the least likeable MC ever.

The clinginess and just the fact that he is kind of annoying, not an active protagonist, and fits the dumb trope of him end up being overpowered or something along the lines eventually. Raku, Khun, Yuri are all sooo much more interesting.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The clinginess and just the fact that he is kind of annoying, not an active protagonist, and fits the dumb trope of him end up being overpowered or something along the lines eventually. Raku, Khun, Yuri are all sooo much more interesting.

Yuri is my favorite character, but she isn't as involved in the story as I would have hoped. Jinsung Ha is a great character as well.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Just finished my first play through the FF7 remake. Took me just a hair under 46 hours.

All I can say is wow. It was phenomenal. Definitely worth checking out even if you didn't play the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad