OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) III - Use Spoiler Tags!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I'm not new to them but recently I've been listening to a lot of those tiny desk NPR concerts recently, there are so many great talents on those things. Which i will now share for you folk :)

this is how I found Dermot Kennedy and he's absolutely incredible, should definitely be more well known. So so good. (also shout out to the background vocals)

Julien Baker is also very talented and knows how to make a sad song or two lol. She has two tiny desk concerts, both equally amazing but here's her second one

There are many more, and it's great how they get a mix of relatively unknown artists and then a few really popular ones (they had Hozier, Adele, Mac Miller (RIP), Dave Matthews, etc).

Reactions: 18Hossa

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I know it's not new, but I had dropped Nier Automata after not leveling properly and getting very frustrated when starting the 3rd playthrough. Just picked it back up recently and man I'm glad I did.

So far I've got endings A, B and G. Just started the third playthrough. This game is deep psychologically and philosophically, but not pretentious. The well timed slapstick like humor helps to break up an otherwise quite heavy theme. Romeo's and Juliets is amazing!

Anyway, really looking forward to actually finishing the game this time.

Reactions: Darkauron

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
I know it's not new, but I had dropped Nier Automata after not leveling properly and getting very frustrated when starting the 3rd playthrough. Just picked it back up recently and man I'm glad I did.

So far I've got endings A, B and G. Just started the third playthrough. This game is deep psychologically and philosophically, but not pretentious. The well timed slapstick like humor helps to break up an otherwise quite heavy theme. Romeo's and Juliets is amazing!

Anyway, really looking forward to actually finishing the game this time.

Nice! I'm glad you finally picked it up again. It is so good

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
I’m really into Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass. It’s an RPG Maker game that’s $15 on Steam. If you like SNES-style JRPGs and stuff like Undertale, you owe it to yourself to play it. It’s very fun, very funny in spite of the depressing undertone, and filled with side quests.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
For me on Netflix it's American Vandal. That show is hilarious.

As for Norm MacDonald's show... I was laughing a lot with the David Spade episode... but every other one was boring.
The podcast was much better, and even then only like 505 of the episodes were good.

The ones that are good are REALLY good. He just needs to have funny people on instead of personal friends and people trying to plug stuff.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
I’m sure Nintendo was laughing their asses off at all the rumors that people came up with for Smash Bros. Ultimate.

What is actually true: Piranha Plant as a playable character. Sure, go for it. Silliness is always welcome. You can play as the instructor from Wii Fit and the dog and duck from Duck Hunt, after all.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Seriously though, play the missions. They're ****ing awesome and *trying* to get gold medals is actually fun/satisfying.

It's like Skyrim where I intend to do a mission, then constantly get sidetracked by something else. I'm sure I'll spend most of the weekend playing it.

Reactions: New Jersey

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Finally finished all the "Good" endings in Nier Automata. Wow. Lots of feels. Fantastic, thought provoking game. I am now a helper. Goodbye everything. I'll probably pick it up again after taking an extended break to recover mentally emotionally.

Reactions: Darkauron

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Finally finished all the "Good" endings in Nier Automata. Wow. Lots of feels. Fantastic, thought provoking game. I am now a helper. Goodbye everything. I'll probably pick it up again after taking an extended break to recover mentally emotionally.

Nice! Glad you finally finished it. It really blew my kind after not knowing what to expect when it first came out. I still need to replay it.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I used to really be into The Walking Dead for while but now I just tune in every now and then to make fun of it because it's so bad, and boy it didn't disappoint with what was supposed to be Rick Grimes "final episode" lmao.

Some of the episode wasn't actually that bad, the scenes with him hallucinating talking to Shane and Herschel were good but he's supposed to be searching for his family. No Lori, no Carl, hell seeing Glenn or Abe would have been cool but no we get Sasha, who gives a flying f*** about her lol.

Rick heroically blowing up the bridge and killing the entire horde while sacrificing himself in the process was pretty good, I was like wow ok cool I can live with that ending for Rick grimes. But nooooo we saw another bullshit fake out Glenn death scene where Ann whisks Rick away in a helicopter with him still very much alive, whaaaaaaa?

Bwwahahahahaaaaa what a load of absolute garbage, no cool Rick death, no closure, barely any reaction other than Daryl, more viewer manipulation and now they announce a made for TV Rick centric AMC 3 movie deal.

Then we get the doozy of a massive time jump with little Judith rescuing a bunch of survivors going 6 for 6 on head shots and delivering a James f***ing Bond line. "I'm Judith, Judith Grimes" as we see her with Ricks massive 357 hand cannon that's as big a her plus his sherriff's hat and a mini katana. No, please, just stop show, please, I just can't.

Hahahahaha holy shit that was really, really, really bad. I just sat there laughing my ass off for 15 minutes wondering what the f*** did I just watch. Yes they teased a Rick Grimes death for a whole year and then the entire season but yup he's still alive, what joke.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I used to really be into The Walking Dead for while but now I just tune in every now and then to make fun of it because it's so bad, and boy it didn't disappoint with what was supposed to be Rick Grimes "final episode" lmao.

Some of the episode wasn't actually that bad, the scenes with him hallucinating talking to Shane and Herschel were good but he's supposed to be searching for his family. No Lori, no Carl, hell seeing Glenn or Abe would have been cool but no we get Sasha, who gives a flying **** about her lol.

Rick heroically blowing up the bridge and killing the entire horde while sacrificing himself in the process was pretty good, I was like wow ok cool I can live with that ending for Rick grimes. But nooooo we saw another bull**** fake out Glenn death scene where Ann whisks Rick away in a helicopter with him still very much alive, whaaaaaaa?

Bwwahahahahaaaaa what a load of absolute garbage, no cool Rick death, no closure, barely any reaction other than Daryl, more viewer manipulation and now they announce a made for TV Rick centric AMC 3 movie deal.

Then we get the doozy of a massive time jump with little Judith rescuing a bunch of survivors going 6 for 6 on head shots and delivering a James ****ing Bond line. "I'm Judith, Judith Grimes" as we see her with Ricks massive 357 hand cannon that's as big a her plus his sherriff's hat and a mini katana. No, please, just stop show, please, I just can't.

Hahahahaha holy **** that was really, really, really bad. I just sat there laughing my ass off for 15 minutes wondering what the **** did I just watch. Yes they teased a Rick Grimes death for a whole year and then the entire season but yup he's still alive, what joke.
It would have been an awesome episode if this was the series finale and it ended a little bit different. Like no helicopter and more reaction from the group, and then it just ended.

I'm still trying to figure out why AMC actually announced it would be Rick's last episode? I'm not sure if it's because it leaked back in May and they just couldn't ignore it, or if they really thought they could pull the viewers in for this episode, since ratings are in the toilet and the worst they've been since season 1.

I don't see how you could even do a season 10 of this show, but they will anyway. I would definitely be interested in watching a spin-off/continuation series with the surviving characters, but this just isn't The Walking Dead anymore.

Reactions: Cage Helmet and JK3

JK3

Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
It would have been an awesome episode if this was the series finale and it ended a little bit different. Like no helicopter and more reaction from the group, and then it just ended.

I'm still trying to figure out why AMC actually announced it would be Rick's last episode? I'm not sure if it's because it leaked back in May and they just couldn't ignore it, or if they really thought they could pull the viewers in for this episode, since ratings are in the toilet and the worst they've been since season 1.

I don't see how you could even do a season 10 of this show, but they will anyway. I would definitely be interested in watching a spin-off/continuation series with the surviving characters, but this just isn't The Walking Dead anymore.

Maybe they wanted to get ahead of any spoilers I guess. Lauren Cohan is supposed to be leaving soon too so the ratings will tank even more.

It's weird that they would show that extended preview of the rest of season. They're pretty much begging people to keep watching after all the good characters are gone lol, it looked kinda awful.

Reactions: Bleedred

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
We used to get so excited for Sunday’s that we wouldn’t even wanna be out and not get home in time to watch TWD in real time. We have DVR but always wanted to catch it as soon as possible. The quality of the show has almost evaporated. We also loved FTWD before the soft reboot where they killed off 80% of the original cast to make it about Morgan. The episode last night was good, but where the show is headed is not. The wife and I were faceplaming so hard at that ending.

WHY????

KILL IT! So cringey.

Reactions: JK3 and Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Maybe they wanted to get ahead of any spoilers I guess. Lauren Cohan is supposed to be leaving soon too so the ratings will tank even more.

It's weird that they would show that extended preview of the rest of season. They're pretty much begging people to keep watching after all the good characters are gone lol, it looked kinda awful.
Actually, I did read that Lauren Cohan did re-sign, and that they never killed her character, but left it open for her to eventually return. I think she's on a new series now and it was depending on how that did. I did hear about a month or a little more ago that she did re-sign, but that it's for next season. So once she's out for this season, she won't be back until next. And we could have seen the last of her for this season in last night's episode. I remember before she had signed, the word was that she was gonna be gone by the first half of the season, at the same time Andrew Lincoln left. And even though she's coming back, she may have a reduced role when she does return next season.

Judging by the time skip, she might be gone for the remainder of this season. Not sure if they'll reference her at all during the rest of this season or if she'll just be forgotten about until she returns next year. What annoys me about this time skip and Rick's fate, is how does he justify staying gone for at least 6 or more years? The next episode begins with a 6 year time skip. How does he justify not trying to get back to Alexandria to his family? I know Judith isn't his biological daughter, we've suspected that all along and it was finally revealed a couple seasons back. He's still raised her as his. Wasn't he in love with Michonne? How will he justify not returning? Unless he fell into a 6 year coma (maybe he did, knowing Gimple and his dumb shit) and these movies start as he awakens. Or he's being held captive, which obviously he would escape in the first movie. You're not gonna have three movies where Rick Grimes is a prisoner somewhere. And does this also mean that Ann/Jadis is gone from the series and joins Rick in the movie series? And what was the point of her and Father Gabriel's little fling if she was going away and never coming back? That seemed pointless. Perhaps some of the other characters like all the saviors and the oceanside women will be gone now, since it's 4 years later. I'm more excited to see what happens with Negan after the time skip. Has he been or will he be set free and be a good guy in their group? Maggie seems to have gotten over him killing Glenn now and they even went out of their way to humanize him toward the end of all out war.

Seriously though, if you're Rick what incentive do you have to stay away? He was never planning to go away. He went away because he thought he was about to bleed out to death and thought that the explosion would just off him and save everyone else from the herd.

Reactions: JK3

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We used to get so excited for Sunday’s that we wouldn’t even wanna be out and not get home in time to watch TWD in real time. We have DVR but always wanted to catch it as soon as possible. The quality of the show has almost evaporated. We also loved FTWD before the soft reboot where they killed off 80% of the original cast to make it about Morgan. The episode last night was good, but where the show is headed is not. The wife and I were faceplaming so hard at that ending.

WHY????

KILL IT! So cringey.
I've compared it to All In The Family, which is one of my favorite shows. I'm not old enough to have watched it when it was brand new, but I always it was stupid to continue the series after Mike and Gloria left. It only lasted one more year, before they ended it and started up Archie's Bunker's Place, before Edith was eventually killed off very early in that series. I figure it's time for The Walking Dead to end the original series and start up a new series with the remaining survivors, which I'd be interested in, but we all know it's easier to keep it The Walking Dead. Because even though ratings for the original series are in the toilet, they may be even lower if you start a new series. Obviously, some people are gonna tune in. A LOT of people are gonna tune in, but they also won't retain a lot of their viewership either.

JK3

Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I'm not much of a country fan but my friend Rob co-wrote this Luke Combs song which is at #1 on Billboard's Country Airplay chart for 3 weeks now and 18 weeks on the chart, it's also #2 in Country Digital sales (that's him on the left at 2:47). He moved to Nashville about 6 years ago and has been working his ass off to try and make it, I'm so happy for him. He got to play this song on stage at the Grand Ole Opry earlier in the year too, pretty cool.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm not much of a country fan but my friend Rob co-wrote this Luke Combs song which is at #1 on Billboard's Country Airplay chart for 3 weeks now and 18 weeks on the chart, it's also #2 in Country Digital sales (that's him on the left at 2:47). He moved to Nashville about 6 years ago and has been working his ass off to try and make it, I'm so happy for him. He got to play this song on stage at the Grand Ole Opry earlier in the year too, pretty cool.

I don't like Country, but that's cool that you're friend has found some success! I have a few friends that kind of made it as musicians. Not in a mainstream sense, but were able to put out some records and even make a living (not millions of dollars) off of their music.

Reactions: JK3

JK3

Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I don't like Country, but that's cool that you're friend has found some success! I have a few friends that kind of made it as musicians. Not in a mainstream sense, but were able to put out some records and even make a living (not millions of dollars) off of their music.

Yeah it is pretty cool, I told him I don't like country lol but I'd support anything he does. He was actually in a ska band when he was younger haha. He's not mainstream, just been grinding it out enough to get by but this hit is absolutely huge for him. He plays small shows all the time down there but he's concentrating more on being a songwriter.

JRZ DVLS

Try Brubag*****
Feb 21, 2007
NC,ILL,NorNJ,Roch
www.brubag.com
On the random and sort of ska...more punk side of things.
I was at the hurricanes blackhawks game on Monday in Raleigh, the Canes theme this year is “Take Warning”.

So they started playing Operation Ivy’s “Take Warning!”
Just a very obscure tune to play.. not a song I’d ever think would be played at a hockey game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad