OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) III - Use Spoiler Tags!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Any fans of the show Comic Book Men?

I've watched it when I've had AMC still on after Talking Dead and hadn't turned the channel or the TV off. It's kind of interesting I guess.

It's cool the one dude (is his name Walt?) wears a Devils hoodie and they've got a wall of Devils memorabilia in the back room or whatever it is. That Walt dude told a story about the 88 playoffs and Patrik Sundstrom being his favorite player and yelling something at him on the ice a few episodes back. I was on the phone at the time and didn't catch the whole story.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Random thoughts:

Just finished watching both seasons of Narcos. GREAT show.

Rammstein is playing in June in Jones Beach.
Rammstein is also headlining the Amnesia Rock Fest in Quebec. I will definitely be going and camping. I've never camped for a festival before... should be crazy.

Opeth and Gojira are playing at Starland in May. Hell yes.

Short analysis of the WWE brand split.

Smackdown is so much better than Raw it's not even funny. Which is crazy considering Raw has Owens, Rollins, Reigns, Jericho, Zayn, and the New Day.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
The last few episodes of TWD have been pretty good but I'm pretty much over this show, I really used to like it. Now me and my brother pretty much watch to make fun of it now lol. Too much filler, bottle episodes with useless characters, bad acting and other nonsense like the fakeout deaths. It's the same exact repeat formula over and over, meet new group or enemy, be subjugated by said enemy, rise up against enemy, move on to a new place, throw in some gimmicky zombie stuff and repeat. They'll keep milking it for all it's worth though as long as ratings a good. JDM as Negan has been fun to watch, they've done a good job adapting his comic counterpart.

I finally saw the first two episodes of Westworld, wow pretty wild ****, super creepy and very well done. I'm going to have to find the original movie an check it out, another Michael Crichton creation.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The last few episodes of TWD have been pretty good but I'm pretty much over this show, I really used to like it. Now me and my brother pretty much watch to make fun of it now lol. Too much filler, bottle episodes with useless characters, bad acting and other nonsense like the fakeout deaths. It's the same exact repeat formula over and over, meet new group or enemy, be subjugated by said enemy, rise up against enemy, move on to a new place, throw in some gimmicky zombie stuff and repeat. They'll keep milking it for all it's worth though as long as ratings a good. JDM as Negan has been fun to watch, they've done a good job adapting his comic counterpart.

I didn't really care for the acting from the actress who plays Tara in that episode she got. She's fine in a more secondary role, but I didn't like her much in that episode. I would have liked to see more of Morgan and Carol and the kingdom, if anything. Or even a Negan backstore episode.

Chandler Riggs acting in the scene where he comes for Negan in the episode before last was pretty awkward. It left a lot to be desired. That whole "I just want Negan, he killed my friend!" sounded like a sequence when you're playing cops and robbers as a 7 year old.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Talking dead is still a giant waste of time.

Yeah you're right about it being a total circle jerk. It's insane the lengths they go to pumping up the acting and writing on this show like it's Shakespeare. :laugh: There's a reason why it hasn't won any awards at all other that makeup lol.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yeah you're right about it being a total circle jerk. It's insane the lengths they go to pumping up the acting and writing on this show like it's Shakespeare. :laugh: There's a reason why it hasn't won any awards at all other that makeup lol.

At least the circle jerk made some sense with Breaking Bad, but even then it was over the top.

You are right they make it seem like this is ****ing Shakespeare with these "deep character moments" and this intense theorizing. This is shallow material that does not need such deep analyzing.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I just see too much of a pattern with the show to really care anymore. Rick's group meets a new group, but isn't sure about them. Debate ensues amongst Rick's group, including beating the audience over the head with "this is how it is now". New group turns out to be bad. Fight ensues. Group sustains casualties but Rick lives. Rinse. Repeat.

Plus the quality of the episodes is all over the damn place. They'll put together a couple good episodes that move things along, then they slam on the brakes and drag things out. Which I don't get because it's not like they're close to the end of the source material and need to slow down to avoid overtaking it.

I just keep getting the feeling that AMC only cares about milking as much money as possible from TWD brand and don't give two ***** about the quality of the show.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

Smackdown is so much better than Raw it's not even funny. Which is crazy considering Raw has Owens, Rollins, Reigns, Jericho, Zayn, and the New Day.
Not to mention the best women like Charlotte, Sasha and Bayley. Are you going to the SD house show the day after Christmas at MSG headlined by AJ vs Ambrose vs Cena and Miz vs Dolph in a cage? I'm going to that one and the Raw one at Barclays on the 28th. Too bad Pru doesn't have one as well.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Not to mention the best women like Charlotte, Sasha and Bayley. Are you going to the SD house show the day after Christmas at MSG headlined by AJ vs Ambrose vs Cena and Miz vs Dolph in a cage? I'm going to that one and the Raw one at Barclays on the 28th. Too bad Pru doesn't have one as well.

I would pick the SD live show... but the fiance is obsessed with Sami Zayn so we will probably be at the Raw one.... unless we go to both haha.

EliasFTW

Jan 27, 2009
Utica, NY
I would love for Sami to join SmackDown. I was foaming at the mouth when i heard Zane v Ziggler at survivor series. Only to have Miz **** it up. Made no sense for Ziggler to drop it to Miz the Smackdown before SS only to lose a rematch at TLC. Ziggler should of faced Zane and won SS then dropped it at TLC.

Owens Vs Reigns should of happened different too. When the "big Dawg" challenge KO for the title Owens should of made it a Title for title match. Then the teasing of the best friends break up. Owens gets Jericho the European title match. Chris wins the belt making the match at Roadblock a triple threat match between Reigns Owens and Jericho.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Don't know if anyone's heard of the game Rocket League, but it's ridiculously fun and addicting. Someone decided to take their replays and add Doc commentating it. Thought I'd share.

I'm sure everyone on here would enjoy the last one.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
trivia: who is this badass looking guy? (without copying the link to google people)

v5bXCXP.jpg

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Went to Rogue One tonight. Really enjoyed it. I thought they used a certain character well. Just enough to prove how badass they are. The direct tie-ins to ANH were done well for the most part. There was one I thought was a bit unnecessary, but it was still kind of cool. Also, I liked the nod to Rebels announcing a certain General was needed. Overall, not as good as TFA, but still an enjoyable movie. But I'm a Star Wars fan, so they had me from the beginning.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Random thoughts:

Just finished watching both seasons of Narcos. GREAT show.

Rammstein is playing in June in Jones Beach.
Rammstein is also headlining the Amnesia Rock Fest in Quebec. I will definitely be going and camping. I've never camped for a festival before... should be crazy.

Opeth and Gojira are playing at Starland in May. Hell yes.

Smackdown is more fun because 1). it's two hours instead of three, 2). AJ Styles is World Champion

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
If anyone has time, watch the clip about "Trevor's Axiom" from South Park.

It seems to sum up the main boards on HF (or just about every board on HF) perfectly. :laugh:

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Went to Rogue One tonight. Really enjoyed it. I thought they used a certain character well. Just enough to prove how badass they are. The direct tie-ins to ANH were done well for the most part. There was one I thought was a bit unnecessary, but it was still kind of cool. Also, I liked the nod to Rebels announcing a certain General was needed. Overall, not as good as TFA, but still an enjoyable movie. But I'm a Star Wars fan, so they had me from the beginning.

I thought they forced the character a little too much - we know it's CGI - don't put him front and center, close up after close up to flaunt how good you think it looked please. I could tell it was CGI, even if it was better than most. Just treat him like any other character and let his actions and dialogue do the work.

Also really liked the tie-in at the very end to Ep. 4's beginning. Having these 'fill' movies could really pay off big time with the franchise faithful - it's a no risk scenario not having to keep key characters around we've never seen before. Make it more unpredictable and suspenseful.

The K droid stole the show.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I was actually referring to the other big bad (although his one liner felt out of place) but I do agree on that part with the CGI. The first scene was well done because they used his reflection with just a quick shot of his face, but then in the longer scenes you could really tell it was CGI.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
I was actually referring to the other big bad (although his one liner felt out of place) but I do agree on that part with the CGI. The first scene was well done because they used his reflection with just a quick shot of his face, but then in the longer scenes you could really tell it was CGI.

oh... that one. lol

He was used perfectly outside a little too much 'solo action' at the end I think.

[spoil]There's a single critical flaw with the story but no need to dwell on it - just if you can transmit from point A to B, why do you have to hand carry from point B to C???

This is KRBL - transmitting radio free to the outer rim. Problem solved. lol :sarcasm: [/spoil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad