Considering an intermediate 1piece/shaft

Status
Not open for further replies.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
I'm only 5'7, 135 so I was figuring that I need a flex of around 75-80(on the Easton/Bauer scale)... Even with an intermediate I would have cut about 1.5-2.5 inches off the end, making it even stiffer. So would an intermediate be the best choice you think?

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I find that intermediate sticks are too thin for my hands(I'm 5.85, 160lbs). I would get an adult flex as it seems that most composite sticks and shafts become more flexible as they are used. Your intermediate shaft will be a wet noodle after a 6 months of good use.

PinSeeker

Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Ah you touched on the very point why I don't want an intermediate... it feels too skinny in my hands... but the flex seems about right...

PinSeeker

Aug 22, 2005
YLW
GLU said:
Find a TPS Whip flex shaft. It starts at about 75 flex (uncut) and carries senior dimensions.
Ahhh thank you muchly! I always wondered what the whip flex was in a rating... 75-80 uncut is perrrfect
:yo:
Edit: Some sites also say that the Bauer VI stickum comes in 77 flex as an adult model... is this true or is it in intermediate dimensions?

Last edited:

Dr GLU

Mar 1, 2002
Northern Hemisphere
I haven't seen them, but it appears that there are senior 77 flexes available in the Vapor V (though elsewhere it looks like an Int.), Vapor VI, Endure, and XXX models from the Bauer site. Just be sure you're getting an '05 model because they started that this year, I believe.

Another option if you have more money to spare is to find an Innovative 300 flex stick (Novius, 1100, True1). It's a senior with a flex about 80.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I bought a couple of Easton Cyclone senior shafts that were 70 flexes, but I gave them as gifts to friends. So I can't tell you how the sticks have held up over the last couple of months. But before I bought them, I didn't realize Easton made seniors in that whippy of a flex.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Those are Intermediate shafts.

Bauers 77 flex sticks are seniors, this years models are at least. Check out Intermediate sticks to see if you do like the narrower shape. I like it and I'm about 5'11, 210 lbs. I just have smaller hands so the shape works well. Unfortunately for me, I like the extra height of the senior so I stick to TPS, Inno, Flyweights and Woods from now on.

PinSeeker

Aug 22, 2005
YLW
As I said before, I do not like the thin dimensions of the intermediate stick... I would prefer the thickness of a senior with the whip of an intermediate.
And Easy, do u mean the the Bauer 77 flexes, or the 70 flex Cyclone?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
The Cyclone 70's are Intermediate shafts. Even their senior shafts (Cyclone) are radiused to feel like an Intermediate.

The Bauers are senior. Sorry, I must've glanced over the handle thickness prefrences.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
EazyB97 said:
The Cyclone 70's are Intermediate shafts. Even their senior shafts (Cyclone) are radiused to feel like an Intermediate.

I believe the Cyclone 70s I got were Seniors [270 grams]. I was also surprised that Easton made them in 70s, but you are right in that they are shaped to feel really thin.

PinSeeker

Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Anybody have any recommendations between the TPS R2 and the Red Lite xn10?? Apparently the red lite is light as heck...

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
The Xn10 line unbelievable. You can get in in an OPS (Xn10), Tapered shaft (R2 Xn10) and standard shaft (Red Light Xn10). They add a great kick to your shots. I'd personally go with the RL Xn10 out of those two, but check out the shaft shape to make sure you like it. It has an extreme concave to it.

PinSeeker

Aug 22, 2005
YLW
EazyB97 said:
The Xn10 line unbelievable. You can get in in an OPS (Xn10), Tapered shaft (R2 Xn10) and standard shaft (Red Light Xn10). They add a great kick to your shots. I'd personally go with the RL Xn10 out of those two, but check out the shaft shape to make sure you like it. It has an extreme concave to it.
Well right on, the shaft I was lookin at was indeed the RedLite xn10... I'll have to check one out one of these days...

PinSeeker

Aug 22, 2005
YLW
I have another question not related to thread but am not about to make another one...
Does anyone know if I will have any probs buying equipment online from the US and getting it shipped to Edmonton? Are there crazy duties and brokerage and customs fees or something?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Yes, you will have problems. They charge a fair bit for duties. I've been caught once with it and they wanted like $60 for some gloves. Theres a couple loopholes with customs, I think if they are made in Canada or the states they won't charge customs or if the items are under $50. I am not posotive on those though.

Stores generally won't do this, but if you go the E-bay route are are trading/buying with a friend from the states get it shipped via USPS and have them mark it as a "gift".

PinSeeker

Aug 22, 2005
YLW
EazyB97 said:
Yes, you will have problems. They charge a fair bit for duties. I've been caught once with it and they wanted like $60 for some gloves. Theres a couple loopholes with customs, I think if they are made in Canada or the states they won't charge customs or if the items are under $50. I am not posotive on those though.

Stores generally won't do this, but if you go the E-bay route are are trading/buying with a friend from the states get it shipped via USPS and have them mark it as a "gift".
Hmm... Well I have purchased soccer jerseys from the US and all I was charged was 24.95 on top of everything, which isnt bad at all. But I am considering purchasing a large quantity of stuff... stick, gloves, helmet... so that may be a problem eh?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I can only speak from my experience and others I have been able to see and none were pleasant. Try calling the company and getting indepth info, then transferring it to the people at the boarder/duty guys and see what they say.

PinSeeker

Aug 22, 2005
YLW
EazyB97 said:
I can only speak from my experience and others I have been able to see and none were pleasant. Try calling the company and getting indepth info, then transferring it to the people at the boarder/duty guys and see what they say.
Alright, well thanks for the info Easy... in all likelihood I will be shelling a little extra here to make sure it doesnt cost a lot more from there!
Plus i still haven't decided on a stick yet!!! Can't decide whether the 87 Bauer flex is flexy enough(local hockey shop has a sale on XV shafts!) or to spring for an R2/Zbubble/synthesis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad